U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 07:25 AM

1,247 posts, read 699,073 times

Advertisements

*sighs*

No charges have been filed, probably because the driver is in a state of dementia. I mean, driving on sidewalks is perfectly normal, right?

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070312/NEWS01/70312002/1075 (broken link)

Old 03-12-2007, 07:31 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,850,925 times
Where does the article talk about dementia or driving on the sidewalk?
Are you just inferring this, or what?

Old 03-12-2007, 09:32 AM

1,305 posts, read 5,016,566 times
The article specifically stated the victims were walking on the "shoulder of the road". Perhaps the OP is not familiar with areas where there are no sidewalks. The driver was 70 years old; perhaps the OP thinks that everyone over 65 has dementia.

The OP failed to mention the other two accidents in the same article, in which a man in his 20's drove into a utility pole and a van with 8 people, one of whom was identified as a 34 year old, flipped over. Of course, if one's agenda is focused on how creaky old people can't drive, one would want to ignore accidents with younger people.

Bah.

This is a perfect example of someone making a post for the sole purpose of deliberately misconstruing the facts; that is one of the definitions of an Internet Troll.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:15 AM

Actually, the article does not say the woman was walking on the shoulder. The husband was walking on the shoulder. How you hit a woman pushing a stroller, I'll never understand. Perhaps the 70 year old woman wasn't suffering from dementia, and she simply couldn't see over her steering wheel. Perhaps it was too dark for her to see. How about not driving at night because you might kill someone. Opps, too late for that. She already did kill someone.

It's a rare week when a pedestrian is not killed by a senior citizen, in Lee or Collier counties. Perhaps I'll start posting a link to every article where a pedestrian is killed by someone over 60.

The best part of this whole situation is that the police are not filing charges against the driver. If the driver was hispanic and the victim was white, you better believe charges would have been filed.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:55 AM

237 posts, read 989,579 times
....Or if a Pakistani backed his ice cream truck over a 1-yr old who was roaming around unsupervised in the street while the parents were in the house smoking rock .

Ice Cream truck driver's fault for coming to this country and ripping off the fine upstanding ghetto residents (SE Manatee County)

Last time anyone tried to get testing for elderly drivers the AARP threatened a lawsuit alleging "abuse of senior drivers".

It seems to be a combination of high school kids driving like maniacs and people who were too old to see 50 years ago and they still drive, even at night. Cell phones and internet in cars hasn't helped either.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:16 AM

177 posts, read 629,222 times
The article states that the guy was walking on the shoulder with another child when she was hit, It doesn't mention the woman walking on the sidewalk or shoulder. Sounds to me like she was pushing the stroller on the traveled portion of the roadway.
Here in Pa, it was already dark at 7:30 PM and I assume that it was down there too.
Just another tirade against older people,

Old 03-12-2007, 12:15 PM

There are sidewalks on most of Roberts Ave. Where there aren't sidewalks, there are wide shoulders. Don't believe me? Take a look at the GIS.

http://collierappraiser.com/

In order for this woman to be hit, one of two things had to happen.

1. The woman would have needed to deliberately push the stroller with her daughter into traffic, despite seeing headlights. Hmm, sounds reasonable. I mean, she is Hispanic.

2. The old woman was not driving on the road. I know, it's crazy. In fact, it's absolutely absurd to think that a 70 year old woman would ever make a mistake like this, while driving, especially a white 70 year old woman.

The true victim is the old woman. She is surely traumatized after having to speak to the highway patrol...

Enough of this sarcasm. This old lady screwed up and killed someone. She should not have been driving. Period. End of story. I hope she never gets behind the wheel of a car again.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:24 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,750,093 times
This is another reason I never walk anywhere, just drive a big old powerful car!

Old 03-12-2007, 01:21 PM

177 posts, read 629,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
There are sidewalks on most of Roberts Ave. Where there aren't sidewalks, there are wide shoulders. Don't believe me? Take a look at the GIS.

http://collierappraiser.com/

In order for this woman to be hit, one of two things had to happen.

1. The woman would have needed to deliberately push the stroller with her daughter into traffic, despite seeing headlights. Hmm, sounds reasonable. I mean, she is Hispanic.

2. The old woman was not driving on the road. I know, it's crazy. In fact, it's absolutely absurd to think that a 70 year old woman would ever make a mistake like this, while driving, especially a white 70 year old woman.

The true victim is the old woman. She is surely traumatized after having to speak to the highway patrol...

Enough of this sarcasm. This old lady screwed up and killed someone. She should not have been driving. Period. End of story. I hope she never gets behind the wheel of a car again.
Maybe we should apply the same standard to everyone, regardless of age, who kills someone on the highway. How do you know that she should not have been driving? Are you personally acquainted with the driver or are you just ranting against older drivers?
Did you personally witness this accident? Or are you just placing the blame on the driver because she was 70? The police did not charge her so apparently it was an accident.
When you leave Florida, you better make sure you go somewhere that does not have senior citizens, given your dislike of them. And when you get to be a senior citizen, I will be expecting you to voluntarily turn in your license and stop driving.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:28 PM

I will stop driving when I am no longer competent. Hopefully every state has a testing program in place by the time I'm a senior citizen.

Senior citizens seem to be insulted at the mere mention that they should not be allowed the privilege of driving. Driving is not a right. If you are no longer competent, turn in your license. Don't complain about testing, either. Stop killing pedestrians and deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or