Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2007, 02:02 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
[IMG]

The experts are predicting some cities to be underwater in as little as 10 years from now. Look at the weather today. Its only March 12 and its in the 60s, 70s even 80s up north!
I think 10 years is a little extreme. That's not a long time and it's not like the water is going to pour into the ocean like a faucet running high in a tub. It's going to be gradual and hardly even noticeable as it happens. I'd be more worried about a hurricane putting a city underwater in the next 6 months than i would the ice melting and putting a city under water 10 years from now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 02:04 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Frankly, I believe hurricanes will put some of those areas underwater before global warming does. And it may be sooner than later, unfortunately. That is one reason I got out of sea-level Sarasota and moved up to Dade City, where I am at least 175 feet above sea level. Gotta stay high and dry, I can't swim!

Old 03-12-2007, 02:21 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
All this talk about global warming gets me hot under the collar, everyone needs to chill.

Seriously though, I can't believe how gullible everyone is on this topic, especially since its a politician trying to pretend like he suddenly became the earth's foremost climate expert overnight.

I want someone to tell me how they can accurately predict the weather for the entire planet for the next 100 years with high accuracy when the extended weather forecast given each day is down to 50% accuracy once you reach 10 days out.

Hurricane forecasts have 100's of the best minds there are to offer on weather and climate, and they have a hard time being accurate with land fall predictions just 24 hours in advance.

The climate will change in the future, just as it has in the past for millions of years. Up and down, over and over. I'm far less bothered by the thought of a hotter planet than I am of another real ice age. So bring on the global warming, I'll stock up on shorts, tank tops, and lemonade.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:25 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:

Bye Florida, Lousina and parts of other states go underwater. Bye NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, etc

The experts are predicting some cities to be underwater in as little as 10 years from now. Look at the weather today. Its only March 12 and its in the 60s, 70s even 80s up north!
So what cities are we talking about and when was this report? If it was even a year ago we should be seeing 5% of the cities land already gone.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:49 PM

518 posts, read 2,225,536 times
Quote:
The experts are predicting some cities to be underwater in as little as 10 years from now.
Who are these experts and what are their scientific credentials? Let's back up a statement like that with some hard facts.

I've not seen anyone quoted as saying that cities could be underwater within 10 years, even though global warming has gotten a lot of media coverage. A 10-year timetable would be a pretty big story. Major media outlets might even have to interrupt their coverage of Anna Nicole Smith!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:59 PM

21 posts, read 74,646 times
I've got some soon to be ocean front property for sale in central Nebraska if anyone is looking to spectulate. The property will be located about 400 miles east of the Rocky Island Chain, aka "The Colorado Keys"

Cheers

Old 03-12-2007, 04:00 PM

937 posts, read 2,888,503 times
Those photos are scary. It can happen and not just in Florida it looks like.
I remember watching a show awhile back about this. They state that people should move inland.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:51 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
All this talk about global warming gets me hot under the collar, everyone needs to chill.

Seriously though, I can't believe how gullible everyone is on this topic, especially since its a politician trying to pretend like he suddenly became the earth's foremost climate expert overnight.

I want someone to tell me how they can accurately predict the weather for the entire planet for the next 100 years with high accuracy when the extended weather forecast given each day is down to 50% accuracy once you reach 10 days out.

Hurricane forecasts have 100's of the best minds there are to offer on weather and climate, and they have a hard time being accurate with land fall predictions just 24 hours in advance.

The climate will change in the future, just as it has in the past for millions of years. Up and down, over and over. I'm far less bothered by the thought of a hotter planet than I am of another real ice age. So bring on the global warming, I'll stock up on shorts, tank tops, and lemonade.

Yea, and a washed up politician on top of it. Isn't that the same guy who invented the internet?

Sorry, I'm just being caddy, but the polar ice caps have only melted back to the way they were 600 years ago.

HIRize, that was funny. I also have some beach property in So. Dak.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:36 PM

1,247 posts, read 925,721 times
Weather =/= Climate

Old 03-12-2007, 10:50 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:

20 feet rise in sea level. If all the ice in the world melted, sea levels would rise 200 to 400 feet and bye bye Florida.

Look how bad even 3 meters rise in sea level is! Bye bye key west, Bye Miami, Bye lake O.

May not be long before parts of FL is underwater. I would not buy any property less than 15 feet above sea level.

You know, those things may happen over who knows, thousands or even millions of years. If any of this was to happen it would trigger a chain reaction of events that would go well beyond a little water rising. For one the atmosphere would be so saturated with water the air pressure world wide would probably change. There would be tremendous storms that may not stop, it would storm continually in an endless cycle due to the heat and evaporation along with flooding and land slides.

There is no way of knowing what the disruption of the air pressure and saturated atmosphere would have, maybe triggering earth quakes and complete repositioning of some land masses. Possibly a change in the make up of the atmosphere itself that we depend on to breath, causing mass extinction's. The earth would for, maybe millions of years, be a very violent uninhabitable planet like others in the solar system. There is just on way of knowing other then change is always taking place and it happens so slowly we can't really perceive it. We can only look back over time and see the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida