U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2007, 02:31 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 2,232,489 times
Reputation: 471

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarrington View Post
I mean how does global warming pale in comparison? Are you saying that people will soon be eradicated from the earth?
----------Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2007, 12:30 AM
 
189 posts, read 305,255 times
Reputation: 21
Will the entire state go the way of Waterworld soon? This is the impression I'm getting here from some peope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2007, 12:52 AM
 
38 posts, read 118,987 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
This goes to show that most Americans are gullible. If they see something in the media , it must be true, right? I never believe any theory without doing my own research. If more people thought like this, the world would be a much better place.
Yes but your research concluded that a major category 5 hurricane was the only way to correct things in Miami

http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...lp-hinder.html
It is the 9th post down.

I would not be caught dead listening to anything the media has to say but I'm not watching your channel either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2007, 01:09 AM
 
38 posts, read 118,987 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarrington View Post
Then maybe we should un-outlaw mass murder and start killing off people Just kidding.
You may be kidding but unfortunately others aren't. Wars are being started for oil and the factor there is whether or not the oil producing countries sell in dollars or Euros. Those that have decided to use Euros are facing what we in America like to call Democracy.

Oil is a very neat little trick that I like to call global taxation. The fact that this "supposedly" necessary commodity is traded in US dollars is what allows the US to maintain such high deficits.

People that very successfully doubled and tripled gas mileage 20 years ago have vanished or are in prison for bogus reasons.

Global warming aside, why would anyone want to breathe that stuff?
Why not run a car on hydrogen instead of oil? Those that think differently are encouraged to inhale their cars exhaust pipe while the engine is running. Any takers? I didn't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2007, 01:23 AM
 
189 posts, read 305,255 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by edotabin View Post
Global warming aside, why would anyone want to breathe that stuff?
Why not run a car on hydrogen instead of oil? Those that think differently are encouraged to inhale their cars exhaust pipe while the engine is running. Any takers? I didn't think so.
Well, I don't want to breathe that stuff in any more than the next guy, but on a more positive note, look at what's happening with cars: hybrids are in the mix now and those ones only partially use oil; it also runs on electricity. And let's not forget fuel efficiency. President Bush will only be in office for about a year and a half left. I'm sure things won't get too out of hand before then. But yeah, I think he's taking this oil business too far. But then, what'd you expect from someone born in Texas? I think Texans are very oil-obsessed. Come election time 2008, we should weed out any Texan candidates and prevent them from attending: bribery, scandal, threats, anything, just keep them from doing more tomfoolery that Bush seems to be doing. What's more, some of the candidates seem to have their ideas on how to help this ailing planet of ours due to Old Man Warming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2007, 02:23 AM
 
38 posts, read 118,987 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarrington View Post
Well, I don't want to breathe that stuff in any more than the next guy, but on a more positive note, look at what's happening with cars: hybrids are in the mix now and those ones only partially use oil; it also runs on electricity. And let's not forget fuel efficiency. President Bush will only be in office for about a year and a half left. I'm sure things won't get too out of hand before then. But yeah, I think he's taking this oil business too far. But then, what'd you expect from someone born in Texas? I think Texans are very oil-obsessed. Come election time 2008, we should weed out any Texan candidates and prevent them from attending: bribery, scandal, threats, anything, just keep them from doing more tomfoolery that Bush seems to be doing. What's more, some of the candidates seem to have their ideas on how to help this ailing planet of ours due to Old Man Warming.
First off my statement was in no way political. All of them are absolute LIARS that bow to their masters. Electing this guy or that guy isn't going to solve issues like this unfortunately.

Geopolitical power struggles aside, all of us are paying very heavily for dangerous substances that need not be used. While you are correct in speaking of the Prius, it is also a bit naive. Some "smart guy" comes up with a trick, it takes us 80 years to figure out we are killing ourselves (and paying heavily for it) and I'm supposed to be happy about a half-butt solution like the Prius??

The air we breathe affects everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2007, 09:52 AM
 
189 posts, read 305,255 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by edotabin View Post
Some "smart guy" comes up with a trick, it takes us 80 years to figure out we are killing ourselves (and paying heavily for it) and I'm supposed to be happy about a half-butt solution like the Prius??
Then maybe we should try and figure out who this "smart guy" is and stop him before it's too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2007, 05:27 PM
 
55 posts, read 264,868 times
Reputation: 13
Florida starting to look at the issue:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pb...NEWS/705070488
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2007, 05:59 PM
 
343 posts, read 145,010 times
Reputation: 126
Love your post Macguy!!!If 20 percent of the ice caps have melted, wouldn't it be likely that the homes within a hundred yards of the waters edge would be under water by now according to the theory proposed on these maps. I have been thinking about buying a condo in Florida but I have a little place about 5 miles inland I spend some time at and hell I think it looks about perfect for ole Kaintuck. Think I'll go out and burn that pile of old tractor tires in the back yard. Damn smokey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2007, 12:12 PM
 
189 posts, read 305,255 times
Reputation: 21
Be honest now, will ALL of Florida (or at least the non-panhandle part) be underwater inside of 50 to 100 years? Will the state be more like a scene from Waterworld in that timespan? Like I said, be honest. Because I'm trying to break myself of the old conviction that humans are to blame for global warming and realize that the climate heats and cools in cycles, as it has been doing for centuries, humans or no humans. But there are just some peole wanting to convince me otherwise (i.e., "hello-world").

Okay, I'm rambling a bit here, so one last time, will a majority of FL being underwater inside of 50 to 100 years? Be honest with your answer please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top