Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:33 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,489 times

Advertisements

I would like to know why did you move to Florida ? I know the weather is nice sometimes but why move here full time. I don't know I have been here all my life and have been to the north and don't understand why people are fleeing from the north. Is it that bad there ? I would like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 08:40 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
We were Michigan natives that have been living in the west for the last decade. We moved to Florida because our family is on the east coast and we wanted to try to move to the east coast to be closer to them. I don't want to go back to cold snowy winters, I despise them, so it had to be somewhere warm. Florida seemed to fit the bill. We've been here for months now and I like it. There are some things I don't, but overall I like it. No place is going to be perfect.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 18,115 times
I'm an ex-military brat so it was kind of a forced move. I'd rather live elsewhere but at the moment, it's not possible. Florida is not the picnic some people paint it out to be.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:53 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,900,644 times
Default I waited years to get to florida.

My Grandparents moved to Satellite Beach from Michigan when my dad was still in school and lived here still today. I spent about a month in Florida one summer when I was 11 and loved it. My parents made plans to move to Florida from Virgina after my dad retired from the Marines, but ended up moving to So Dakota (of all places) Then my best friend from Virginia and I were planning to move to Florida together after graduation but she changed her mind So, it took me almost 4 years after graduation, but I decided just to DO IT on my own. And I LOVE IT !!!

By the way, I am now stuck in Georgia- I hope temporarily. Should have an answer on that one shortly.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:29 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,069 times
We are moving due to a job transfer. My husband requested it because his family is all there. Personally, I would rather stay here, but just because my family is still here - LI. But I'm sure they will follow. I'm hoping to really get to like it there.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:13 PM

121 posts, read 504,093 times
I didn't I was born here. They move here to raise taxes, clog the roads, stores and schools. Kill all the natural wildlife and move into their "space". Quite noble of them don't you think?

Old 03-12-2007, 11:39 PM

37 posts, read 121,706 times
I was born here too. It is a shame native Floridians are being run out of their homes to so called "progress".
What will become of the North when every Northerner in the U.S. moves to Florida? Why can't some of you go to California?

Old 03-13-2007, 12:57 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelovemuffin View Post
I was born here too. It is a shame native Floridians are being run out of their homes to so called "progress".
What will become of the North when every Northerner in the U.S. moves to Florida? Why can't some of you go to California?
Wow, some of you seem to forget we are still free to move about.

Bet your parents or grandparensts were not born there?

If you look your family history will show you are from the north too at one point, so should you be bashing those same family members who moved from the NE to florida and ruined it for the Indians?

Run out of you homes, you gotta be kidding me? Who is running you out?

If it was not for the Northerners MONEY, you would be living in a cess pool area right now. Who do you think helped build your community and make it better? Not Floridians 100%

Besides, if you do not like it move or another area or move to Calf or Texas yourself.

Gosh, buy enough ground with all your money and space yourself out.

Last time I checked we were still free to move anywhere you want.

I am new to this board and hate to post like this, but I see allot of you posting like this, who died and made you posters who hate us king and queens?

I just might be your neighbor some day, and if I am, I would be the best damn neighbor you ever had.

I have traveled Florida for more then 20 years and the untouched areas with no prgress as you state are slums, run down older towns that your locals did not fix up or let run down yourselves. When progress happens in those towns it will be from us northerners coming in and cleaning the place up.

Enjoy us, we have made your over all life better, not worse.

Another point. I see Florida plates here in central Ohio every single day on my commute to work on Rt. 70, and 9 out of 10 times its the Florida Plate driver who is going 90 MPH in a 65 speed limit and passing everyone on the right side of the road. Are you going to tell me those are local Floridains or Northeners who have ruined your state.

An older worker at WDW once told me about 15 years ago that if it was not for you people in the north spending your money here in Orlando, there would be no jobs. Guess he was right all along.

You pay probably comes from us northerners pockets, if not yours 75% of the wages in your state are directly effected by our money.

Coming to Fla whether you like it or not and bringing my whole family of 50 people with me, because my granddaddy was in Florida living before you was born, therefore your in my families space using your theory, he was there first.

Sad to read you post such crap. You are one selfish person to do so.
We would be glad to have you here in Ohio as a neighbor and would not hate you for bringing your wacko Florida ownership thoughts with it.

People like you make me think twice about my move, but I will not allow you to stop me, I worked hard all my life and have done well, and I will be bringing my money to Florida so you can get a raise in pay.

Your welcome in Ohio anytime, we treat you the same if you are from Florida or Alaska.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:14 AM

69 posts, read 394,073 times
I came to Florida because of a job. I lived in Florida up until 2004 and moved back to Maryland because of family obligations. But I was down there a few months ago to visit some friends.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:12 AM

69 posts, read 394,073 times
Floridabound,
I worked as a desk clerk in eastern Ohio some years ago and we had alot of people from Florida check in. Being the friendly person I am, I asked them why they were so far away from home. Most were in fact Ohio natives visiting relatives in the area, and some where natives of northeastern states passing through Ohio after sightseeing the Mid West. Not one I talked to was a native of Florida. I lived in central Ohio at one time and drivers are not that bad, but I always thought eastern and northeastern Ohio drivers were the worst in the state, so maybe it was the former Ohioans headed to the other side of Ohio driving badly, or drivers headed to the east coast.

Last edited by beenaround; 03-13-2007 at 03:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida