Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:56 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There's no comparison between the FCAT and the Regents --- literally. They are completely different exams that test different things. Regents are "end of course" exams, while the FCAT is a standardized test for different grade levels used to measure school progress.

I'm sure you knew that, though, having taken both so that you have a frame of reference from which to make your conclusion?
Do Florida kids have to take a SIX HOUR English test, given over two days, in order to get a HS diploma? Half the state would never pass that. How about a 3 hour test in American History? How about a 3 hour test in Earth Science? How about a 3 hour test for each year of a Foreign Language? Yes, every year of HS requires a specific test for a specific subject. So if they take 5 subjects in one year, they are taking 5 state tests that year.

This is nothing new in New York. I took all these tests starting in 1962. How long have the FCATS been around? Since NCLB?

No, I have never take the FCATS myself, but I have given them. They cannot measure the DEPTH of knowledge in any individual subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 03:49 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Here is a list of the most popular cities determined by statistics and feedback of the people who live, work & play in these communities.

Relocate-America'sâ„¢ 2008 Top 100 Places to Live (http://top100.relocate-america.com/ - broken link)

Old 02-02-2009, 04:47 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Last edited by TriMT7; 02-02-2009 at 05:23 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 04:54 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Florida's top schools won't compare to average schools on Long Island. Also, a lot of people would much rather live really close to NYC than have warm weather year-round. That's just the way some people are.
Way to fight facts with opinion.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Do Florida kids have to take a SIX HOUR English test, given over two days, in order to get a HS diploma? Half the state would never pass that. How about a 3 hour test in American History? How about a 3 hour test in Earth Science? How about a 3 hour test for each year of a Foreign Language? Yes, every year of HS requires a specific test for a specific subject. So if they take 5 subjects in one year, they are taking 5 state tests that year.

This is nothing new in New York. I took all these tests starting in 1962. How long have the FCATS been around? Since NCLB?

No, I have never take the FCATS myself, but I have given them. They cannot measure the DEPTH of knowledge in any individual subject.
Funny but I went to school in NY and I didn't take all these tests to get my diploma.
I don't think it was even close to what you describe but that is OK, just keep exaggerating as if that proves your point.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:12 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Here is a list of the most popular cities determined by statistics and feedback of the people who live, work & play in these communities.

Relocate-America'sâ„¢ 2008 Top 100 Places to Live (http://top100.relocate-america.com/ - broken link)
yay for SW FL, 3 of the 4 Florida cities on that list were in SW FL.

Can't wait till I'm done with Orlando and can go back to Fort Myers.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:22 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Funny but I went to school in NY and I didn't take all these tests to get my diploma.
I don't think it was even close to what you describe but that is OK, just keep exaggerating as if that proves your point.

She's been a teacher's aide in both NY and FL. That isn't exaggerating; it's saying how it is.

You need to pass each regents test with a 65. It doesn't matter if a kid is special ed. If you don't pass them, you can't move onto the next grade. Can you tell me if any test in Florida does that for EACH year in HS for at least 3 out of 5 major subjects?

Old 02-02-2009, 05:27 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
She's been a teacher's aide in both NY and FL. That isn't exaggerating; it's saying how it is.

You need to pass each regents test with a 65. It doesn't matter if a kid is special ed. If you don't pass them, you can't move onto the next grade. Can you tell me if any test in Florida does that for EACH year in HS for at least 3 out of 5 major subjects?

What's your point? Having an end of year test automatically = good schools? Not saying New York doesn't have good schools, but the tired out meme and blanket statements regarding how "bad" schools are in Florida gets kind of old.

Again, the original point stands: Florida has numerous public schools in the Top 25 in the nation, and numerous others in the top 100. The system as a whole for high school education was ranked #19 in the nation by the survey. Not too shabby, and better than most other sunbelt meccas.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:

It is not for every class, every year.
It is for regents classes of which NY students have to take 5 over the course of their 4 years.
That 5 regents classes is since 2003, before that it was I believe 2.
That is nowhere near the 5 a year she claimed.

They also just had a few years where they dropped the passing grade to 55 because too many students were failing.

It is also true that about 2/3 of students graduating from city high schools need to take remedial courses when they get to the city universities.

Seems to me these facts would fly in the face of your claims that Ny schools are so superior.

Edit: It was exaggerating.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:02 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I don't mean NY STATE, I mean Long Island. NYC schools are what drag down the state's numbers. NYC schools are pitiful for the most part. Long Island has the highest number of Intel winners. Florida had 1, but from a Prep school which doesn't really count. All of NY's were from NYC or Long Island public schools, all EIGHT of them. One from my school district too

Society for Science & The Public (http://www.societyforscience.org/sts/68sts/finalists.asp - broken link)

Also, this was just one year. Each year NY continues to have the highest number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida