Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 08:38 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
And is there some scientific reason why it is more stressful to live in Orlando or Tampa? Are headaches worse there?
Lack of job opportunities and low wages would be one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 08:50 AM

263 posts, read 574,670 times
Quote:
And is there some scientific reason why it is more stressful to live in Orlando or Tampa? Are headaches worse there?

If I need to elaborate, I take it you havent spent much time in either one. The traffic, the congestion, the crime, the constant cycle of your neighbors moving in and out, the malcontents, and then to add to that, the heat and humidity for 6 months out of the year. Maybe I'm the only one.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:50 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
The humidity.

Don't you see, nobody struggles anywhere else in the nation. Everyone makes 100k in every other city in the country except for those located in Florida. And even IF you're lucky enough to have a job making more than $8/hour even though you hold an MBA, my GOD, the SPANISH people just make it unbearable! And don't even get me started on the fact that you get shot at whenever you go for a walk.

No sir, I'm high tailing it to North Carolina, where the unemployment rate is 3% and the people are so much nicer, say things like, "Y'all want some sweet tea shugah?" and it's not hot in the summer at all!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:10 AM

"No sir, I'm high tailing it to North Carolina, where the unemployment rate is 3% and the people are so much nicer, say things like, "Y'all want some sweet tea shugah?" and it's not hot in the summer at all!"

My response: I dont know that many people in NC that talk like that, and I do know a few that talk like that in FL. As far as your other statements, I agree, the people in NC are definitely friendlier but the unemployment rates hovers around 8%, not 3. Depending on where you are, the summers can be hot and humid (piedmont and coastal areas) or very pleasant (western NC). The highs in the summers in WNC usually hover at or below 87 degrees, with much less humidity.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:31 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
I do have to say I never thought I had allergies until I moved to Florida, and *bleepin* pine pollen season seems to have started extra early this year because December was so mild. So the headaches aren't worse than they would be Up North, but they are of greater frequency if I don't keep up with the Claritin.

Still for us, the pluses in the state still significantly outweigh the minuses.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:00 AM

910 posts, read 2,331,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
If I need to elaborate, I take it you havent spent much time in either one. The traffic, the congestion, the crime, the constant cycle of your neighbors moving in and out, the malcontents, and then to add to that, the heat and humidity for 6 months out of the year. Maybe I'm the only one.
No, you're not alone...

Old 02-03-2009, 11:10 AM

Please, dont get me wrong... I like FL. I was born here, but all the changes we have gone through in the last 5-10 yrs has taken a toll on a lot of folks.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Lack of job opportunities and low wages would be one of them.
Median income for Tampa and Orlando is around $44,000
Median Income for a suburb of NY, Hempstead LI is $48,631

Median home price for Tampa is $223K,
Orlando is $255K
Hempstead is $350K

Unemployment is 7.3% and 7.8%, slightly above the national average , in Orlando and Tampa. Hempstead may be right around average unemployment but couldn't come up with exact figures.

We could use NYC for an example but the median income compared to the median home price is a lot further out of wack.

It seems that the wages are not as low as you make it seem and when you add in the increased cost of living then it makes Tampa and Orlando look even better.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:19 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
I have lived in both areas and I lived in NY.
The traffic, congestion and crime were much worse in NY.
Most of the malcontents are posting on these boards and want to leave.
As far as the heat and humidity, I think the weather is perfect except when it gets cold like it has been lately. I guess that is why I moved to Florida though.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:28 PM

564 posts, read 1,879,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The humidity.

Don't you see, nobody struggles anywhere else in the nation. Everyone makes 100k in every other city in the country except for those located in Florida. And even IF you're lucky enough to have a job making more than $8/hour even though you hold an MBA, my GOD, the SPANISH people just make it unbearable! And don't even get me started on the fact that you get shot at whenever you go for a walk.

No sir, I'm high tailing it to North Carolina, where the unemployment rate is 3% and the people are so much nicer, say things like, "Y'all want some sweet tea shugah?" and it's not hot in the summer at all!
And an extra dosing of "sarcasm awareness" all around

I'm sitting here watching the umpteenth blizzard of the season, the snow is going sideways past my window. My nephew slipped on the ice this morning and bashed his eye badly....palm trees and warmth sound pretty darned tempting right now.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida