U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:46 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,393,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
Life easy, your probably sitting there on your deck outside enjoying the sun and palm trees typinmg on your laptop, while i'm partailly disabled looking for work as you say I have had life easy? You don't even no me. Thats why I posted the original post as I made a observation on what I was seeing in Florida, and I needed a job, and I am sure 99% of the retirees in Florida are living it up. Sorry to offend you "blue hairs".
You make 21 posts, 16 of which are threads you started asking all kinds of questions. You get tons of answers and don't even bother responding back to your own threads with even a thank you for the help people have tried to give you. Then you make this pathetic self-serving mean spirited response. You couldn't hold a job anyway even if you were in any way qualified for something beyond a minimum wage job with your attitude. I hope no one bothers wasting their time responding to any more of your mindless questions. I know I sure won't. Have a nice life.

Quote:
Let me tell you senior citizens that life in your era was probably alot better than the times are now. Those were the days when all you needed was 1 income from the man of the house to survive, as thats how I was brought up and my mom did not work. Now 2 incomes are a necessity for survival and I do have a 4 year education in which I paid for, and many of you are ignorant in the fact that even with an college education you are not guranteed a good salary. Wake up and smell the coffee and get your head out of the SAND, no pun intended.
Some people are successful and some are failures, what can I say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 12:04 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,011,046 times
There are many of us who have some sort of disability and like you, we continue on working and being productive. How many of the older people that you despise aren't in top physical shape either but still go out to do their jobs faithfully every day. And as far as living it up? Yea, some of those seniors are taking their huge checks right to the pharmacy or using them to pay their skyrocketing medicare supplement premiums. They're using them to pay the insurance and taxes on the homes they worked so hard to buy.

People in those days did not have it easier then any of us have now. Our Mothers stayed home because they baked bread from scratch, didn't own a microwave or didn't own an automatic washer and dryer. They stayed home until the children reached school age and they then went to work, too. I'm a baby boomer and when I was little we had no microwave, washer/dryer, tv, we had ONE family car, no stereos, no air conditioning, no computers, etc. Can you see why a family could live cheaper then? But of course now it's all about keeping up with the Jones's.

A college degree does not automatically win you a prize. You need to spend your entire life working and striving for what you want.

I can't believe that anyone can complain about senior citizens who want to remain self supporting and are so willing to go to work every day. There's just something wrong with this picture.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:30 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,728,391 times
People in those days did not have it easier then any of us have now. Our Mothers stayed home because they baked bread from scratch,...

sunny

Old 03-18-2007, 12:34 PM

177 posts, read 629,271 times
Quote:
Let me tell you senior citizens that life in your era was probably alot better than the times are now. Those were the days when all you needed was 1 income from the man of the house to survive, as thats how I was brought up and my mom did not work. Now 2 incomes are a necessity for survival and I do have a 4 year education in which I paid for, and many of you are ignorant in the fact that even with an college education you are not guranteed a good salary. Wake up and smell the coffee and get your head out of the SAND, no pun intended.

Life easy, your probably sitting there on your deck outside enjoying the sun and palm trees typinmg on your laptop, while i'm partailly disabled looking for work as you say I have had life easy? You don't even no me. Thats why I posted the original post as I made a observation on what I was seeing in Florida, and I needed a job, and I am sure 99% of the retirees in Florida are living it up. Sorry to offend you "blue hairs".

Let's start with your premise that we didn't have to have 2 people working to make ends meet. My wife worked for almost our whole marriage, except when the kids were real young, then I worked two jobs.
It is not our fault that you wasted four years in college majoring in studies that you can't find a good paying job. Who guaranteed you a good salary?
With that type of attitude, I can understand why you can't get a "good paying" job. I don't know you and it is not our fault that you are disabled. You make a lot of generalizations about seniors .
Those seniors who are sitting their enjoying their retirement earned the right. They didn't sit there and complain about how unfair things are, they went out to work everyday, saved their money, made tough decisions all their life so that they would be able to retire. Yes some of them are working in jobs that you would not consider "good paying" for a variety of reasons.sometimes just to get out and interact with people. Most of those jobs are not going to be taken by younger folks because they don't pay enough or don't have benefits.
Now some wet behind the ears, self pitying youngster is telling us to get our heads out of the sand. I suppose that it is easy to sit at a computer and complain than it is to get up and do something about your lot in life. Those senior citizens that you despise have done that and have earned their retirement.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:34 PM

238 posts, read 990,668 times
I don't think there will ever be a day that something is wrong with someone paying their own way. I didn't know the job market was that tight. Seniors pay taxes and usually abide by the laws, they deserve a paycheck if they want to get out of bed and work. I do have a problem with tax money supporting people who sit around and drink, watch 600 channels of cable and litter the country with carbon copies of themselves. The senior that delivered our Tandoori jerky has to help support a bunch of "The man owes me" air-conditioned ghetto retirees, just like the rest of us do. People who are willing to work, even if it's just sitting at a guard desk in a nursing home, are rare. More and more people spend their energy trying to figure out how NOT TO work, or who they can sue next for a few $$. In better areas, you will see a lot of teenagers working nights and weekend, I think that's something that the parenting causes. They are told to learn how to work to pay for their car insurance etc...... I noticed in poorer areas you won't see young people working in stores. They just aren't interested, especially if their parents don't want to work. The American way! I can't imagine you not landing a job, but I don't know your story. Maybe there are no jobs where you are. I know around here, if you can show up to work and not steal, you'll be hired by any number of places. If you show up to work regularly you'll be considered Employee of the Year. So, it looks like you "needed a job", so you did find one which is good news. We have plenty of problems here, but senior citizen's addiction to the work ethic isn't high on that list.

By the way, I was terrorized by this group of gang members Thursday, they call themselves "Geritol Locos 13". I'm still trying to recover from the horror of that day.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:32 PM

788 posts, read 3,764,632 times
Default You're quite welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE THE U.S.A. View Post
Hi All, I am a senior 72 yrs of age. I am not responding to junoaqua's post.
Iam replying to say THANK YOU to those of you that understand the
situation that many old people are in in this country and spoke on
their behalf. Can you imagine how the seniors that are in needy
positions must feel after being spoke of in such a way? It is obvious
that the original poster is not looking for a very good job to live on if
he/she is planning on making a career as a bagger at publix, of course
I hear that there program's that help people of this mind set.
I would like to see someone live on the $881 that I get from
SS. Not just in Fl. either. Many of the seniors that work at certain
jobs do so for the benifits that are given in some cases.
Something that everyone should be aware of is that SS was
never men't to be a pension plan. We the seniors of today know
that. My wife and I are doing okay and neither of us work. So to
jnoaqua I say the job that you are so afraid of me taking is there
qwaiting for you. Enjoy your life on the big pay check that you are
going to be making.
ON BEHALF OF ALL THE SENIORS THAT THOSE OF YOU STOOD
FOR ......i SAY TO YOU MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND
THANK YOU.

LOVE THE U.S.A.
THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE WONDERFUL
Whenever I hear (or see in this case) the younger generations disrespect senior citzens for ridiculous reasons (i.e. ignorance and arrogance) all I can think of is someone talking to my grandmother that way, and what I would physically do to them. (That isn't a threat by the way... ).
I am so glad that I posted my feelings on this topic. I initially thought of just giving the OP negative rep points, then it occurred to me that that might be a bit cowardly. The OP and other people who feel like he or she does should know that many people in this country (even those of us in our 20s) still value, respect, and appreciate our elders.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:07 PM

627 posts, read 2,617,255 times
Default Times have not changed that much...

I am in my 30's and can still recall my Great Grandmother working the family farm to sell milk, eggs and fresh butter to help support her family and self after she was in her 80's and early 90's! (she passes at 100)

My Grandparents worked hard, raised 12 kids and owned a 3 bedroom 1 bath home with 3 outhouses on 112 acres. Grandma drove a milk truck and Grandpa worked for the county till the day he passed on.

My Parents both worked as well... we raised our own beef, pork and chickens with three gardens to help feed us for years.... now they enjoy retirement, a home that is mortgage free and their collection of 1966 Bonnevilles.

I also never heard any of them complain about what kind of money they made, they never lived above their means (ie: I did not have an Atari, stereo or my own car from them as a dependent child at home) If they wanted or needed something, they just did extra work and saved up their money for it.

Many kids went to the military in my family, all now have great jobs (mostly computer and engineering). So looking for work was not a big deal to us. My Teens both found work here. All I can say is, Florida has Never been a nesting ground for high-paying jobs... And some people just like to work, even when they get older.

Without their generations working, where would any of us be?

Old 03-18-2007, 02:14 PM

788 posts, read 3,764,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
I am in my 30's and can still recall my Great Grandmother working the family farm to sell milk, eggs and fresh butter to help support her family and self after she was in her 80's and early 90's! (she passes at 100)

My Grandparents worked hard, raised 12 kids and owned a 3 bedroom 1 bath home with 3 outhouses on 112 acres. Grandma drove a milk truck and Grandpa worked for the county till the day he passed on.

My Parents both worked as well... we raised our own beef, pork and chickens with three gardens to help feed us for years.... now they enjoy retirement, a home that is mortgage free and their collection of 1966 Bonnevilles.

I also never heard any of them complain about what kind of money they made, they never lived above their means (ie: I did not have an Atari, stereo or my own car from them as a dependent child at home) If they wanted or needed something, they just did extra work and saved up their money for it.

Many kids went to the military in my family, all now have great jobs (mostly computer and engineering). So looking for work was not a big deal to us. My Teens both found work here. All I can say is, Florida has Never been a nesting ground for high-paying jobs... And some people just like to work, even when they get older.

My grandmother was the same way. Although she officially retired from being a teacher (can't remember if she was in her 50s or 60s at the time) she still worked very hard--physical work too. I remember when I was a child and she was in her late 60s she physically built (all by herself) a heavy teeter-totter (did I spell that right?) for us 3 grandkids. She also did almost all of her own repairs, painting, tiling, up until she died (in her mid-70s).

Old 03-18-2007, 05:32 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,011,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post

Yup, I remember the same thing. But not only did my grandparents do all the hard farm work, my parents did, too. In retrospect, my childhood was filled with a lot of hard and back breaking work, but it did teach me to have a good work ethic. (Guess I'm a bit older then you are, Ocala.)

Old 03-18-2007, 08:09 PM

251 posts, read 806,780 times
Quote:

WOW, you sure can't tell from your grammar that you have a four-year degree. That being said my brother is also disabled and even being legally blind he managed to run his own business and is doing well for himself. It's all in how much you want something and how hard you are willing to work for it.

I was brought up on mostly one income also. My mother only worked when we became older teenagers however my father worked many many long hours to provide and we didn't see much of him. Now both parents work not only to provide for their family but also to be able to spend time with their children.

I am not sure where you get your figure that 99% of retirees are "living it up" in Florida but you are sadly mistaken. Do you not read the paper? With the high cost of homeowners insurance, property taxes, medicine, and health care I don't see too many seniors "living it up" and IF by chance they ARE it is because they worked their butts off their entire life and are due time to relax and enjoy the palm trees.

Maybe it is not your education that keeps you from gainful employment but your attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or