U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:55 AM

13,495 posts, read 33,324,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rperreta View Post
Guys, wait it out... The bubble is going to pop real soon and those homes that are listed for $350k will soon be selling for $220k watch... Florida is in a heap of trouble right now and houses are way over priced and it's only a matter of time before you see the prices drop. Many people that can not homestead there properties and are paying redicilous amounts of taxes can no longer afford to keep the houses and people would rather sell a home they purchased dirt cheap for a little money to make a profit then to let the banks foreclose. On the other hand, it could backfire and banks that gave mortgages in excess of $350k for a home that's worth $200k may soon be listing forclosed homes which can stabilize the selling prices because the banks are not going to lose....

I watch a few homes that were selling for $275k + and I made offers on 2 homes for $210k each - they both accepted it, so what does that tell you...

You can also goto the tax collector or the assessment site for whatever county your looking to move to and see what the home is being assest at which will give you a better idea of what it's worth.

just some thoughts...

That sort of surprises me that they would accept an offer like that. Not long ago I had posted wondering if it was true that if you offer the seller 20%, you may be able to get the home for near that price. Most of the replies said that it wasn't acceptable and they wouldn't even respond to an offer like that. So is there now enough desparation that some sellers will accept 80% of their listed price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 11:01 AM

49 posts, read 178,764 times
Default Why is everyboby talking about TEXAS

Hey,
I just happened onto this post and noticed alot of people commenting on Texas. Thought it was a good place to jump in. Florida versus Texas. Its an intresting comparison. Years ago, well maby only 5 or 10 Florida house prices were cheap. So what happened? The same thing that occured in Jersey, and Arizona. I remember in 2003 I was trying to get a transfer to Phoenix. At the time house prices were pretty decent. Then in 2004 they went nuts. It was like a delayed effect from 911. The same thing eventually hit Fla and NJ. Prices for houses doubled and in some cases tripled. Look at Cal. What a joke.
The only place that housing prices don't significantly appreciate is Texas. In DFW the prices just sit there. I've hear people who live here say that they sold there house that they lived in for 20 or 30 years and they got maby $20,000 profit and they act like that's a windfall. Big difference from Jersey. We sold the house after 6 years for twice what we bought it for. It was a nice houe and I enjoyed living in it, but I never in my wildest imagination would I think of buying a house for what we sold it for!

Old 03-14-2007, 11:14 AM

670 posts, read 1,466,259 times
Default Yes, I have an idea, or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Any idea why Miami is the only holdout? This is something I can't seem to figure out!
1. Miami is a true international city.
2. Venezuelans.
3. Everybody else from the planet that has watched "Miami Vice." With the Germans being the most fanatic.
4. The views going over McArthur or 36th St Bridge are spectacular.
5. Money, lots of it, floats over Miami. How many conversations did I hear in "La Casita" on 8th St were 7 ot 8 figures were being discussed and the people were NOT BSing.
6. Huge fraud by banks/mortgage companies in Miami with straw buyers. Saw those personally, this is not second-hand.

Having seen a lot of the State in the past 2 years, it makes sense to me that Miami is the last holdout. Be patient, the slide will start there this year. The 500K 2/2s in Little Havana will be a distant memory. The nicer areas should hold there 2002 (optimistic) or, at least, their 1999-2000 (more real) values.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:02 PM

669 posts, read 2,896,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Impressions View Post
Have you even been to Texas?

I thought parts of Texas were very pretty, but to say it has everything Florida has is downright kooky talk. They are two incredibly different states, both having their positives and negatives.
He thinks because Texas has a warm climate and beaches that it's the same as Florida.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:28 PM

107 posts, read 352,828 times
i hope all you that are playing the game with the house prices know that they can go right back up as fast . been in fl foy 14 years and seen it all before not as fast as the last time but they still will go back up . the real reason people complain is that they can not afford the house they like in the areaa they like with the schools they like so they sit here bitching about the price fl is still inexpencive to the likes of ny ca nj

Old 03-14-2007, 02:47 PM

1,247 posts, read 651,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
He thinks because Texas has a warm climate and beaches that it's the same as Florida.
Texas' climate is more volatile than Florida's. It will also get hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than in Florida. There really aren't many similarities between the two, other than the fact that they're both on Earth.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:58 PM

796 posts, read 3,283,523 times
actually the weather is pretty similar..milder in north florida..but milder in north Texas too.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:49 AM

93 posts, read 332,534 times
Same in Orange County NY....and they are selling.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:20 AM

5,429 posts, read 12,818,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAnjel View Post
I live in Texas in a big beautiful house (2700 sq. ft)with all the upgrades that I bought for less then 200,000 in a middle-upperclass area. There are alot of beautiful neighborhoods and but if you leave your little section of paradise your right in all the trashy areas. Houston keeps moving out and we keep moving north! Someone on another thread saifd that Texas was a dirty state but that is just not true. Houston is a dirty city but there are alot of beautiful places here if you can afford to live there. Unfortunately, in order to work you have to be close to the city. I am moving to Florida because I love the atmosphere. I like people from NY, England, California, Alabama etc. I like having things to do. Here there is nothing to do except go to the mall, go out to eat, and go to the bar. I have never even taken my kids to the rodeo (and I'm native) because it is so commercialized and more of a drunken party then anything else. The problem for me is you have to get a huge house with a pool and media room etc. just to have something to do here. While we do have Galveston and I enjoy it, it has nothing on any Florida beach. Anyway, this is the place to be if you want a huge house at a low price(although our taxes and insurance are very high here)but theres just not alot to do here.
Anyone who thinks Houston lacks in things to do isn't looking very hard.

It's the 4th largest US city. All the perks of a very large city.

Top-notch arts, culture, museums, etc.... only NYC has a larger theatre district. Houston's museums often attract traveling exhibits that only go to a handful of cities. Have you ever been to the Children's Museums? The Museum of Natural Science? NASA? What about pro sports? Festivals? Water recreation on the southeast part of town - fishing, boating, Kemah Boardwalk... only two other cites have more pleasure boats. Go north and there's Lake Conroe as well.

And dirty? Maybe in the ship channel area, but other than that I don't know how it's any dirtier than other large cities...

The only thing you're right about is that the beaches in TX are not as nice as FL...

Old 03-15-2007, 12:03 PM

796 posts, read 3,283,523 times
You misunderstand. I never said I don't like Texas. I don't like Houston. It is one of the biggest cities in the U.S. and maybe not any dirtier then the rest, I have never been to L.A and haven't been to N.Y. city in years(but didn't like that either) but that is why I don't like it. The museums and Nasa are good once in awhile. Kemah is fun and we just got schlitterbahn in Galveston and theres Moody Gardens etc. I don't care about theatre so that makes no difference to me. For me, I would like to live where I don't have to drive an hour to do anything. We do go to Lake Conroe regularly and and have gone to San Antonio. For me, I love the atmosphere of Florida.I like that there are beaches everywhere and Florida also has everything we have here and in alot of cases better. Texas is an awesome state if you can afford to go to all the places you are talking about but I can't. I have 3 kids and can't go to east texas and San Antonio and pro sports etc.I jusy want to be able to take my kids for a walk on the beach and go to the little shops on the weekends and just regular things while having the option to do the more expensive things such as Disney etc.
Please do not post in defense of Texas as this is my home state and it is great for alot of people and has been for me. I am just looking for another place for me and my family that would make us happier. I have a neighbor from Florida and another from California that love it here and I am happy for them. I would never discourage someone from living here, I just would prefer to live in Florida. I have another friend from Washington who hates it here and she has been here 30 years and all she does is complain and talk about how much Oregon is better and I always say, check out Oregon, why are you here if you don't like it? I do like it here, I just would like Florida better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or