U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:34 PM

4 posts, read 28,353 times
Default Looking for family community near The Villages

Hi all..Im new to this so please bear with me. My husband, myself and 1 year old daughter are looking to relocate to florida within the next 6 months (we are from long island, NY). We want to live in a family community with amenties like a pool or playground. I really want to be close to where my mother lives..she's in The Villages. I have sent for info about fore ranch-saddlebrook but would like to know if anyone out there has other ideas of communities near by.
Thank you very much!!!
christine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 04:57 AM

2,900 posts, read 6,082,559 times
Hi. And Welcome!
I too am from NY, and have just bought a house 11 miles south of "The Villages".
I bought in an age restricted gated community.........but there are many nice places down there.
I suggest you go down there and visit and shop around.......stil many rural places, as well as many newer communities......

How close is "close"?? 2 miles, 10 miles, 20 miles?

the Villages is so big, that you almost have to know WHERE in the villages your mom is, so you know which direction to look towards.

Much is up to what you want to spend, etc.......Good luck!!

Frank D.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:07 AM

Default thanks frank

Wow, there are alot of New Yorkers moving down there! My mom lives in Tall Trees not too far from Sumter Landing. My family (husband and baby and myself) are looking to spend no more than 250,000 on a single family house in a family community.
We are planning a trip the week of April 2 but would love to make a few appointments with places that cater to families. Im finding it very hard to find places that are not age restricted.
Good luck to you and your new home!!! christine

Old 03-14-2007, 03:39 PM

Thank you Christine....!
You may want to consider hooking up with a realtor.....at least that would get you started....you have no obligation to stay with one if it does not work out.

For that amount you should have no problem finding something that you like.....I paid A LOT under $200k for what we bought....there are pics on here already of our new house. It is onlt 2 Bd 2 full bath, smaller then what you would want probably, but we are done with the child-raising thing.....

you still do not say how close you want to be......if we know that, you could be "steered" to perhaps the right communities......

Frank D.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:28 PM

Hi Frank,
I really would like to be no more than 20-30 minute drive from the Villages.
Do you think a realtor will be aware of "communiities" or just regular homes for sale.?

Old 03-14-2007, 07:45 PM

Christine,
I would think a GOOD realtor would very much know the different communities, etc........that is their job. Of course, nothing compares to looking and seeing yourself.
If possible, I would visit for a week or two, and go "hunting" yourself.....

For instance, we looked at a few comunities....we liked one, and asked the seller "How are the neighbors??" They replied, "I don't know, we never met them".......they lived there for a few years.......that told us there was little sense of community there.......we kept looking.

As much as we love our new house and activities there, the best part is our AWESOME neighbors.

You need to know that unlike everything else southern, real estate transactions in Florida seem to be pushy and go at lightning speed. now is a buyers market, so when you find the house you want, and the sellers are desprite for a sale, MAKE SURE you sign the purchase offer giving you enough time to close on YOUR house and mortgage......we were very stressed because NY mortgages, etc, and real estate take usually well over a month or two, or three..........in Florida, they are SCREAMING at you if you are not ready to close in 3 weeks........MAKE SURE TO LEGALLY GIVE YOURSELF BREATHING ROOM......

There are many nice communities around there........Leesburg, Mt Dora, Treveres, etc,etc......I do not know very well the towns above the villages....sounds like you may be looking more in that direction.....

Keep us posted!!

Frank D.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,308 times
Default moving to florida

Hi, i just moved close to the villages also from pa, here is a website you can look at. You said ur mother lives in tall trees this family community is located right down the street and by the charter private schools. It is a family community, private w/ gates, many things for kids to do pool, gym, basketball courts tennis courts, etc. Very affordable. Here is the website for you to check it www. Villagesofparkwood.com hopes this helps you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinlover919 View Post
hi all..im new to this so please bear with me. My husband, myself and 1 year old daughter are looking to relocate to florida within the next 6 months (we are from long island, ny). We want to live in a family community with amenties like a pool or playground. I really want to be close to where my mother lives..she's in the villages. I have sent for info about fore ranch-saddlebrook but would like to know if anyone out there has other ideas of communities near by.
Thank you very much!!!
Christine

Old 11-18-2009, 05:23 PM

794 posts, read 1,241,616 times
A good Realtor keeps up with communities by researching areas, getting on email list with the builder/developer and making a personal visit.
I personal take 1 or 2 days a week and go on trips to take video of new and established communities for clients and to keep up with on the real estate market.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:45 AM

14,938 posts, read 6,688,350 times
Where is The Villages?

Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 PM

6,311 posts, read 12,190,795 times
The Villages are North of Orlando, South of Ocala. Map of The Villages, Florida by MapQuest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida