Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 5,446 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Melbourne, FL and am trying to move my family away from here. We would like to relocate anywhere else in Florida and need suggestions. We are a young family (husband 26, me 29, daughter 3, son 5 months). We need a great family town with people our age, good schools and minimal crime/drugs.....With that said...I have read other posts and it seems this is how a lot of people describe Melbourne I am a little disheartend. Maybe it is because I was born and raised here but I am sick and tired of the drug scene. Either the people I went to school with have moved away or became drug addicts or drug dealers. When I was in Jr. High (Hoover) and High school (Melbourne High), drugs were everywhere! I feel very uncomfortable raising my family in this town and need to go somewhere where drug use is not as prevalent. Just to be clear, we do not and have not lived in the bad parts of Melbourne either (currently off of Lake Washington). We would like a city some where in the middle (not too big and not too small). I really don't mean to trash Melbourne, and other people can easily have a different experience moving here as the drug scene can remain somewhat hidden. It is definitly not as bad as other cities...just no longer the place for us. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 09:59 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
You should probably start your search in the panhandle area.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:07 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Or Vero but I don't have young kids so suggest you really get parents input, the city council meeting mentioned some illicit activity with adults (renters) in the city of Vero but it didn't sound extreme. And granted, it's everywhere ....I think the answer is to have the same amount of "good" kids and activities like sports always available and that's not always available in small towns either ....to balance out the bad.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:34 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Stuart, Martin County. Really.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:41 AM

39 posts, read 190,047 times
Seminole County is a great area with wonderful schools. I have many friends that moved there from Orlando for the schools and low crime rate. I also lived there for some time in my 20's and if we could find employment there, we'd go.

Are you and your DH able to transfer with jobs, or are you in the tech or medical field? Guessing you already realize the scarce job opportunities in most other fields.... Good luck in your search, and let us know what happens.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:57 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Check the C-Data statistics pages for cities that might interest you for the crime ratings. I do that and take it with a grain or two of good salt. Even crime stats can be out of kilter sometimes. I've lived in FL most of my life. I'm afraid that what you (and a lot more like us) are looking for just is not easy to find. It has been suggested the panhandle. I recently met a couple who fled the panhandle for the same reasons you would like to leave Melbourne. They had left to get away from drug related crime. I'm seeking a place to retire in the near future and it has been a struggle to say the least. Don't give up for your children's sake.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:01 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
Tallahassee

Old 07-11-2008, 11:19 PM

49 posts, read 211,562 times
escambia and panhandle of florida.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:27 PM

101 posts, read 311,733 times
You really cant beat the cost of living in Brevard Co. I understand where your comming from they hide the crime well. Have you considered moving down the street to Palm Bay? I wouldnt have lived in Melbourne but I did live in Palm Bay. SW or SE is best. If you have decent jobs in the area you'd prob be best to stay close by. Housing is cheaper there than most of FL as well. I dont know alot about the panhandle but I have heard its rather backwoods/redneck, not that thats bad because I'm from WV but it could be a BIG change from what your used to. I always thought about moving to Jax when we were in PB. Now DH's job has an opening in West Palm and I'll go there until the Melbourne branch has another opening. I miss it that much!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:07 PM

16 posts, read 126,062 times
Yeah, I definitely understand where you are coming from as well. I am your age and also went to Hoover, Mel High and Satellite High School and I moved for the same reason (although I have no kids).

I would disagree about Palm Bay. My parents still live there and say that crime is quickly escalating. I don't know what type of income you have, but I would suggest Sarasota. Nice area with things to do for both adults and kids (not to mention surrounding areas like Tampa, Clearwater, St. Pete).

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida