Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:44 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

Considering the price we pay to live in this god-forsaken state, how much fun time do you actually take while living here? Most vacationists would spend a week or so taking in the sights, but I bet that most of us who live here enjoy it less than those who visit. I know that work wears me out and stress from helping my parents fight their hassles eats up all my free time. Oh and preparing/repairing for hurricanes? How much "paradise" do you actually t
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 09:04 AM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times
tallrick, I mean no disrespect, but if you're so miserable, can't you leave?

On the subject, I don't live there, but...you act like hurricanes are a daily hurricane. They happen, but you suggest it as if it happens daily and is a constant impediment to life. If it were, nobody would be in Florida. People deal with hurricanes just like they deal with quakes in California.

As for enjoying paradise, I would think anytime you drive to work, you're at least looking at palm trees and such, which is a "paradise"-like setting to me.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:10 AM

251 posts, read 885,639 times
It's funny you ask.....I was just talking to a friend up north the other day saying how my hubby and I use to do things in Florida that we no longer have the time nor money to do. We live less that 5 miles from the nearest beach and yet haven't been to the beach in probably 5 years or more. We haven't been to Disney, Epcot, Universal, or any Florida theme park in about 8 years. We haven’t been to a concert, or festival in 4 years. We use to enjoy going to Bok Tower for their yearly Symphony on the hill, the Renaissance Festival, Concerts on the beach, the dog park at Honeymoon Island, the houseboat in the Key's, several Bed & Breakfasts, Disney attractions, Parades, Treasure Island for the Sand Castle yearly events, Water Skiing, Jet Skiing, Anderson Park, Caladisi Island, crabbing, scalloping, fishing, and more. Now we both work six days a week to pay for our outrageous homeowners insurance and taxes and spend the rest of our time hardening our home for possible hurricanes.Things in Florida have really changed and now it's all about affording to stay here while we look to leave here.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:19 AM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times
Do you really spend THAT much time hardening your home for hurricanes that it's all you do besides work? That seems like an exaggeration. Hurricane season isn't even all year...

If you're 5 miles from the beach I do not understand why you haven't had time in 5 years.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:33 AM

45 posts, read 305,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Considering the price we pay to live in this god-forsaken state, how much fun time do you actually take while living here? Most vacationists would spend a week or so taking in the sights, but I bet that most of us who live here enjoy it less than those who visit. I know that work wears me out and stress from helping my parents fight their hassles eats up all my free time. Oh and preparing/repairing for hurricanes? How much "paradise" do you actually t
It a shame living in the Keys and can't enjoy it. I don't understand why would you even live here and suffer if you can't or won't enjoy it! I think you need to move out of Florida, I don't think I've seen anything positive come out of you. I've been here for 10 years and make a point to get to the beach at least 1-3 times a week with my dogs and now I have a 2 year old, I try to get out more even at sunset I take her to Mallory Square. It also doesn't hurt that I teach Scuba Diving for a living, I'm out on the water most days and love it .
I meet alot of tourist on the boat and they will always ask what its like to live here. I tell them its not for everybody and I think your one of them. For you and most I'd say just visit for a while and when you get sick of it go home.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Do you really spend THAT much time hardening your home for hurricanes that it's all you do besides work? That seems like an exaggeration. Hurricane season isn't even all year...

If you're 5 miles from the beach I do not understand why you haven't had time in 5 years.
TIME....Well it's Sunday morning and my hubby is hard at work on fixing our garage strengthening it...not on the beach or at a park enjoying the beautiful day today.
It is not an exaggeration, we simply no longer have the time or money to enjoy what Florida has to offer anymore. As the prices for everything in Florida has skyrocketed it is no longer affordable and since our taxes and insurance have more than doubled in the last two years we now pay JUST to live in Florida, not to enjoy it.
Just check out how much a ticket to Disney is, and I remember when Bush Gardens was FREE (I am only in my 30's) not to mention a non-rat infested hotel is over $100 a night to stay. (I am going to Tallahassee next week and the cheapest room I could find is $189 a night!) Forget about ever staying at a hotel on the beach anymore. We use to spend a weekend a year on Treasure Island...we stopped going when the room rates went up to $299 a night. Orlando area is the same or worse! NO EXAGGERATION....FACT!

Old 03-25-2007, 09:59 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
I was talking about this under another topic. For us it boils down to having a smaller home in order to have the fun toys. The bigger the home, the more money your dishing out just to say you have a big home. yeah i'd like a bigger home too but then that would mean no jet skis, camper or any fun weekend getaways to the beach.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:07 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
And with a smaller home there's no room for the toys, looks like you lose either way!

Old 03-25-2007, 10:15 AM

523 posts, read 2,829,465 times
We sit on back patio after dinner everynite admiring the palm trees and watching a gator swim in our 2 acre pond. We wonder what keeps him here now for going on 2 yrs. wildlife wont come get him until he is 6ft long. His mother must of left him he was 4 inches long in Sept 2005, now he is 5 ft long, He dont bother our water birds or sand cranes, just eats fish I guess.
I love Florida, I was raised in PA. I will never leave, My spouse born here in Clearwater Florida, would move up north florida but no further. We cant stand the cold. I appreciate the state, but hope they get handle on the taxes and insurance.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
I was talking about this under another topic. For us it boils down to having a smaller home in order to have the fun toys. The bigger the home, the more money your dishing out just to say you have a big home. yeah i'd like a bigger home too but then that would mean no jet skis, camper or any fun weekend getaways to the beach.
Well for us it is not a matter of having a bigger home just bigger bills. Our homeowners insurance and taxes are outrageous, electric and water has gone way up as has everything in Florida. When it costs over 150k for a 900 sq foot house in our area that is simply crazy. My first house in 1989 was 980 sq foot and cost me $28,500 ...it just sold for the second time since I owned it for $158,000

This is from the county records of the house I owned. I kept it for 15 years and the new owners for 2 years, look how much it went up in 2 years

Year Month Book / Page Type Amount
2006 12 7305 / 0798 WD $158,000
2004 06 5908 / 0214 WD $60,000
1989 06 1817 / 0738 WD $28,500
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida