Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 02:21 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
gypsy said it best...it's hard to have enough energy to even get through all of the negative posters. They seem to think that this proves how awful Florida is...the only thing it proves to me is that the people that are usually happy (because that's what they've chosen to be...regardless of hwere they live) are out having fun in Florida and the ones that are miserble everywhere are the oneson the pc complaining.

Me? I'd like to think I'm an optimist.

I read this in a fortune cookie the other day...I dedicate it to all of those negative Florida bashers:

Optimists feel that these are the best of times.
Pessimists fear that these are the best of times.

Good joke:

A scientist decided to see what the difference was between an optimist and a pessimist. He took a happy, optimistic boy and placed him in a room full of horse manure. He then did the same thing with a sad, pessimistic boy. A half hour later, he checked on them. The optimistic boy was digging through all of the manure with an excited grin on his face. The pessimistic boy was crying in the corner.
The scientist went over to the crying boy and asked him why he was crying. The little boy responded, "Can't you see all of the manure? I HATE it here! I want to leave!"
The scientist then went over to the happy boy and asked him why he was so happy. The happy boy responded:
"Because I just KNOW with all of this manure in here there's bound to be a pony somewhere and when I find him, I'm gonna ride him!".

I thought that joke was very cute! lol
the if you cannot be happy in Florida, you are a miserable person, and cannot be happy anywhere. I was fine where I was. This is where the JOB took us. I did not come here for any other reason. Period.

Do you know what it is like to have a panic attack? Do you know what it is like to try to find a shady spot to walk in so you won't be under the blazing sun? Do you know what it is like to go into depression because all there is is sun, sun, and more sun? I cannot AVOID it. It is every single day. I woke up this morning and there was nothing but CLOUDS. I was overjoyed and planned on going out. By Noon the blazing sun was BACK.

Although I dreaded summers up north, my state of mind was nothing like this. I knew even in summer it would RAIN. There would be cloudy days. I sometimes feel like I am losing my mind here. The longer I am here the worse it gets. I don't enjoy sun and warm weather. I didn't up north either. I did not come here for the weather. I have 4 more years to endure of Florida before I can retire out of here. Until then, I suppose I have to hibernate as much as I possibly can. NO, I CANNOT GO OUT AND ENJOY. It FREAKS ME OUT.

Stop making judgment calls about people and their situations which you know nothing about.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:41 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
the if you cannot be happy in Florida, you are a miserable person, and cannot be happy anywhere. I was fine where I was. This is where the JOB took us. I did not come here for any other reason. Period.

Do you know what it is like to have a panic attack? Do you know what it is like to try to find a shady spot to walk in so you won't be under the blazing sun? Do you know what it is like to go into depression because all there is is sun, sun, and more sun? I cannot AVOID it. It is every single day. I woke up this morning and there was nothing but CLOUDS. I was overjoyed and planned on going out. By Noon the blazing sun was BACK.

Although I dreaded summers up north, my state of mind was nothing like this. I knew even in summer it would RAIN. There would be cloudy days. I sometimes feel like I am losing my mind here. The longer I am here the worse it gets. I don't enjoy sun and warm weather. I didn't up north either. I did not come here for the weather. I have 4 more years to endure of Florida before I can retire out of here. Until then, I suppose I have to hibernate as much as I possibly can. NO, I CANNOT GO OUT AND ENJOY. It FREAKS ME OUT.

Stop making judgment calls about people and their situations which you know nothing about.
The difference is that in many of your posts your exaggerate or post your opinion as if it was fact in regards to Florida just because you don't like it here.

You seem to expect everyone else not to like it because you don't.

Siren's post was actually quite different from what you perceived it to be. It had to do with people with positive attitudes making the best of where ever they are. This is shown by the "regardless of were they live" in her post.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:16 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,136 times
Quote:

wow. Now PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but maybe there's really something wrong with you? I mean...I have never heard of someone with such a pronounced aversion to the SUN! I don't mean to be mean or cruel or anything, I'm just suggesting that maybe you should see someone about this. I mean...panic attacks because the sun is shining on you?? Don't family members close to you think this is a little odd as well? I don't mean to try and diagnose you from internet postings, but that just strikes me as way past normal.
If you think I'm out of line here, I apologize. I just feel bad for you being so sad all the time and all.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:25 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
That's a real insensitive thing to say. Take a look at the article about SAD. It talks about the reverse of that. There are more people than you imagine who have an aversion to a lot of sun.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:32 PM

Default I only found out about this last weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
wow. Now PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but maybe there's really something wrong with you? I mean...I have never heard of someone with such a pronounced aversion to the SUN! I don't mean to be mean or cruel or anything, I'm just suggesting that maybe you should see someone about this. I mean...panic attacks because the sun is shining on you?? Don't family members close to you think this is a little odd as well? I don't mean to try and diagnose you from internet postings, but that just strikes me as way past normal.
If you think I'm out of line here, I apologize. I just feel bad for you being so sad all the time and all.
That it IS a medical condition just the same as people who go into depression because of cold and lack of light/sun. This is the reverse of that. Do you think they are crazy too? They prescribe sun lamps for those people. I have to stay inside. I had this to a degree up north, but when you are in Florida there is nothing BUT sun and hot temps so it is far far worse. Actually, in my research Summer SAD is more common in climinates like Florida and California. Google it if you don't believe me.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:47 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,323 times
Quote:
That it IS a medical condition just the same as people who go into depression because of cold and lack of light/sun. This is the reverse of that. Do you think they are crazy too? They prescribe sun lamps for those people. I have to stay inside. I had this to a degree up north, but when you are in Florida there is nothing BUT sun and hot temps so it is far far worse. Actually, in my research Summer SAD is more common in climinates like Florida and California. Google it if you don't believe me.
Do you think the constant sameness in Florida is a factor as well?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:54 PM

Default Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
Do you think the constant sameness in Florida is a factor as well?
I have said that before also. Nothing changes. Green, green, green. Summer year round. It is very difficulty to tell January from July. Change gives me a sense of perspective, especially since I am older now. Time just goes by without any sense of it going by. Maybe that is why so many old people like it here. Not me.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:04 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times
Quote:

I feel really bad for you. If you even dreaded summers in NY, then this almost sounds like a medical type issue. Have you ever considered talking to a doctor? Not sure if there is anything they can do for the reverse of SAD, but maybe they have something? I'm sure there are other people in the world that dislike warmth and lots of sun. Actually I know people who are allergic to sun (Lupus is one disease that comes to mind).

Either way, I hope you get back to the climate you want. Since you've said you're 60, hopefully it won't be too much longer.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:09 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny1948 View Post
I have read the posts, and some are laughable!

They love the weather!

95 degrees in summer, with 98% Humidity. Thunder and lightning every day, so you can't plan a day at the beach.
From June 1st until November, theres that little problem of HURRICANES.

They love the "Healthy Lifestyle"

Eating fried food, till you're humongously overweight and have multiple medical problems.

Couldn't take the cold winters up north!

We have yo yo weather here in the winter. One day it's 70 the next day it's 40 on and on and on.

Friendly people!

Well not if you're gay, black, mixed race or anything other than a white bible banger.

Cost of Living!

People claim taxes are lower, but when compared to other states they are actually higher percentage wise.
Food is no cheaper here, than anywhere else.
Wages are the lowest in the country! It's a right to work state, and an "at will" state. Look up labor laws to see what these mean. Neither are good for the working stiff.

I personally am waiting for the day I can leave. Unfortunately it will also be the day, that I finally have no family left and will be alone. However, I will leave so fast the dust won't settle!
Geez are you talking NC SC or FL? All 3 sound the exact same from what you wrote above

Old 02-16-2009, 05:11 PM

186 posts, read 570,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I have lived in Florida for over 2 years. I will be moving back to the Northeast at the end of this month.
Hey, I wish I was in your shoes. Philadelphia just happens to be my favorite American city. I go there at least once per year but sometimes get lucky and get to go twice. I once lived there for 2 yrs and loved it!!!

I hope to one day move back. Until then, I will continue to just visit at least yearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida