Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 07:50 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Yes some of the responses are laughable.

I know it may be hard to believe but people are different and like different things.

I for one love the heat, I also almost never go to the beach. You have blizzards up north, tornados in the mid west, earthquakes out west. I have never had a dollars worth of damage from a hurricane in almost 20 years in Florida

I know that fried food does not exist up north, we only have it in Florida.

Most people that have a hard time finding friendly people are most likely not friendly people. I have met some of the nicest people in Florida. In my office we have gays, blacks, and bible thumpers but I am none of the above and get along with all of them great.

If you read through the thread you will see many places have a higher property tax rate in addition to higher sales tax, add to that the state income tax and your combined taxes are quite a bit higher.

Wages are no where near the lowest in the country.

One thing I know we do have in Florida is malcontents who like to post in generalizations without many facts but that is getting better because many of them want to leave.
How are home sales? As great a place as Florida is, I imagine you are so busy selling homes, you hardly have time to post on this forum!

Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I was just perusing some lists on city-data

Top 101 larger cities with the highest real estate tax percentages.

Florida has no cities on the list

Top 101 cities with the highest average humidity

The first Florida city is Jacksonville in 59th place and a total of 12 on the list. That means 89 cities in other states are on the list, 58 with a higher average humidity than anyplace in Florida
Links please.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:03 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How are home sales? As great a place as Florida is, I imagine you are so busy selling homes, you hardly have time to post on this forum!
Didn't you already try that one?
Yeah, here was another one by you, in this very thread.

Quote:
I imagine all those foreclosed homes are selling like "hot cakes" for you then.
It is pretty sad when you have nothing else and try and use that angle.
I have only heard that one a couple of dozen times or so.

Of course most people know that home sales are down but that is when the really knowledgeable people will look beyond what is being written in the papers and still make good money.

I myself am still doing fine and have more than made up for what I don't make helping others buy and sell with what I have been buying and selling myself.

As I mentioned before I just had minor surgery so I will have more time the next week or so to debunk many of the untruths posted here.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Links please.
They are right on this web site.
I am sure with your intelligence you will be able to find them yourself.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:22 AM

831 posts, read 2,437,038 times
Quote:
New Jersey which has the highest property tax also has a higher sales tax than most of Florida.
Don't ask me for any more facts because you will just bypass them anyway.
Florida has 67 Counties and only 19 of them are lower then the 7% sales tax. How is this considered "most" of Florida. Many of the counties that ranked highest for property taxes also had some of the nation's highest property values.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:24 AM

One of the best books I have ever read was, "Nickel and Dimed" by Barbara Ehrenreich. Barbara actually left her lifesyle of living for awhile to work as unskilled labor in three areas of the country. She wrote about her experiences in this book.

One of the areas she worked in was Key West, FL. Her account was very eye-opening about the wages/cost of living there and the resultant lifesyle. Long story made short, she couldn't make it. The hardships she faced trying are very well written and described.

I highly recommend anyone who is considering moving to Florida to read this book first!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:36 AM

831 posts, read 2,437,038 times
My first challenge, as you call it, was to point out that Floridas property tax and HOI was not as high as many places up north as someone had erroneously suggested. The person who said this lived in Florida moved to the Midwest and is returning to Florida. Therefore they have experienced it and have a right to state their personal facts as it pertained to them.

Had you read through the posts you would have seen that I do not challenge individuals reasons for leaving unless they post untruths. If someone says they do not like the traffic and think the people are unpleasant then I wish them well. If they say that Florida has the most humid weather in the country I will show them that they are wrong. Really so telling Tanaples what he/she is experiencing with the sun is untrue just because you have never heard of it. And I haven’t read anywhere that someone stated Florida has the "most humid weather in the country", they only stated they could not tolerate it themselves.

If you see a trend there it is that I do not confront someone in regards to their feelings, only faulty data. Your data is also faulty

In response to whether I have lived in another state or not. I don't believe that fact really has any bearing on what I posted. This thread is about living in another state and adjusting to Florida!
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 02-17-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Florida has 67 Counties and only 19 of them are lower then the 7% sales tax. How is this considered "most" of Florida. Many of the counties that ranked highest for property taxes also had some of the nation's highest property values.
Every county in NJ has a sales tax rate of 7%.
Florida is at 6% with each county choosing if they want to add up to 1.5% to that.
Only 3 counties are at 7.5%, 19 are between 6-6.5% and the rest are at 7%
So about 30% of the counties are lower, 4.4% are higher and the rest are the same.

The property taxes were rated by percentage not total dollar amount of taxes.
It seems to me that having the highest tax rate on the highest property values puts an even greater burden on those homeowners. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:02 AM

Someone I know personally bought a home in FL in 2007. This person was mislead about what the property tax of the home would be. He was told what the property taxes had bee,n the last whatever number of years, for the previous owner. The real estate agent left out the fact that the previous owner was under the Save Our Homes clause. He, being from out of state, didn't have all the facts about different property tax rates etc.... He was surprised when he found out how much he would be paying for property tax on the home he purchased!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
The person who said this lived in Florida moved to the Midwest and is returning to Florida. Therefore they have experienced it and have a right to state their personal facts as it pertained to them

She pointed out how much her property taxes were and I responded with this.
"My hoi and prop tax is under $4200 a year combined. i know many places up north that prop tax alone would be higher." She then told me that her home was more beautiful and of higher quality than my home. It seems as if I posted fact and she posted opinion as if it were fact.

Really so telling Tanaples what he/she is experiencing with the sun is untrue just because you have never heard of it. And I haven’t read anywhere that someone stated Florida has the "most humid weather in the country", they only stated they could not tolerate it themselves.

I never said that what she was experiencing with the sun was untrue so you may want to read back. Someone also stated that the weather in Florida was "95 degrees in summer, with 98% Humidity.", that would put Florida as the most humid in the country. I showed that it was not close to the most humid.

Your data is also faulty

So I should have said that the Jersey sales tax rate was equal to or higher than higher than most of Florida. No where near the faulty info served up by others.

This thread is about living in another state and adjusting to Florida!

Had people stuck to their opinions rather than post untrue info then there would have been no need for me to post here. My living in another state or not does not stop me from having corret data.

filler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida