Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:59 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
i am curious, which facts did you use to back up your statement that your house is more beautiful than mine and higher quality?

i didn't say your post was meaningless, i said it was ridiculous.
You haven't given any details about your home to back up your assertion other than having a pool which to me is nothing more than a liabilty.

Since you did not provide any details other than you property tax and HOI are under $4600, I can only assume that you pay a 2% property tax with a $50K homestead deduction. The average HOI would be $2K. meaning you home was purchased for about 180K. Mine is valued more than that. If you home is valued higher but you pay lower poperty taxes because of the Save Our Homes act, you then pay a load of HOI. Am I right? If not, I would maybe you would be willing to explain the great deal you are getting.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
My hoi and prop tax is under $4200 a year combined. i know many places up north that prop tax alone would be higher.

did you also suggest someone take antidepressants because of where they live?

that is funny.
Back up your statement that you, "know many places up north that prop tax alone would be higher."

Compare and contrast poperty values with the property tax rates in specific locations to validate your claim. As a real estate agent, this should be easy for you to do.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:11 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You haven't given any details about your home to back up your assertion other than having a pool which to me is nothing more than a liabilty.

Since you did not provide any details other than you property tax and HOI are under $4600, I can only assume that you pay a 2% property tax with a $50K homestead deduction. The average HOI would be $2K. meaning you home was purchased for about 180K. Mine is valued more than that. If you home is valued higher but you pay lower poperty taxes because of the Save Our Homes act, you then pay a load of HOI. Am I right? If not, I would maybe you would be willing to explain the great deal you are getting.
Why are you so insecure about your home?
You already said it was more beautiful and higher quality than mine.
Isn't that enough for you?

Millage rate is 15.37 here and I pay under $800 in HOI.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:11 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Why not California? What's the draw with Florida? California has pretty much the same year round weather, but dryer. The big part is NO HUMIDITY. What's the draw with humidity in FL? The winter months are even much more beautiful in CA with the Santa Ana winds blowing a nice breeze.
I have lived in California and it's my experience that the weather is NOT better in the Winter there. Winter is the "rainy" season in CA. Winter temps are lower (even in Southern California). Evening temps are typically in the 40s. The pollution levels in greater LA are horendous and get worse the further inland you go. The Pacific is freezing cold so it makes Winter breezes feel even colder when you are near the ocean. And, for those Santa Ana winds...they are glorious, aren't they? Just ask all those folks who lost everthing to a wind driven fire.
Winter here in South Florida is the best in the mainland US. I am sure Hawaii can top us! The humidity levels are moderate. There's no air pollution. It's the dry season with less rain. Evenings typically bottom out in the 60s and days are typically in the 70s. Even the Winter temps of the Atlantic are warmer than the Summer temps of the Pacific. What's not to like?
And, when we do have some chilly air like we did a few weeks ago, it's always short lived.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Back up your statement that you, "know many places up north that prop tax alone would be higher."

Compare and contrast poperty values with the property tax rates in specific locations to validate your claim. As a real estate agent, this should be easy for you to do.
Niagara, N.Y. is the county with the highest effective median tax rate, with a rate of $28.12 per $1,000 of value.

The state with the highest median real estate taxes is New Jersey, where more than 50% of all households pay more than $5,352 in property taxes per home. The state with the second highest property taxes, New Hampshire, collects a median of $3,920, or $1,432 less per home than New Jersey.

You are right it was easy. Should have been for you also but I guess you needed some help.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Why are you so insecure about your home?
You already said it was more beautiful and higher quality than mine.
Isn't that enough for you?

Millage rate is 15.37 here and I pay under $800 in HOI.
Wow! you must pay a heap-load of property tax then!

Old 02-14-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Wow! you must pay a heap-load of property tax then!
Let me help you with the math.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:52 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
If you are referring to an earlier post of mine, yes I am well known because of public work I do outside of my employment. I prefer to remain private because I do not want any of my opinions expressed on this forum to be construed into representing opinions of the organization I am involved with. Thanks for your concern.
Sanjay Gupta, is that you?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn
The point I was making with my house was the difference in property tax rates from Florida and where I live. Mike Peterson wrote that my post was meaningless about this unless I provided details, which I then did. I didn’t intend to incite anger in disgruntled Floridians by this.
Where in Minnesota are you? Are you anywhere near a major metropolitan area? If you make an income of 100k/year, your state INCOME tax alone is going to be close to $7,000/year. Take your property tax "savings" and have fun!

BTW, isn't it inappropriate to say that people who like where they live are "disgruntled Floridians"? Instead, it's the miserable moaning "disgruntled EX Floridians" who appear to STILL be angry....and anyone living in Florida and cheering you along are the real "Disgruntled Floridians."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn
My point is, I trialed Florida life and prefer it here which is the subject of this thread. I only gave facts to back up my preference for this which seemed to have angered a few.
No, you made a very funny statement that your home was more beautifuler and betterer than Mike Peterson's. No facts. Just your subjective opinion.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:00 AM

Yes Florida does not have income tax. That is because income is low there. Most wages for the same type of work, pay below the national average. Many people are retired or only have a seasonal home there.

Florida officials knew what they were doing by taxing consumption instead! Higher property taxes, higher sales taxes, fees for everything, etc.... For people who retire there, when their incomes are lower or fixed, taxes are based on their spending instead.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Yes Florida does not have income tax. That is because income is low there. Most wages for the same type of work, pay below the national average. Many people are retired or only have a seasonal home there.

Florida officials knew what they were doing by taxing consumption instead! Higher property taxes, higher sales taxes, fees for everything, etc.... For people who retire there, when their incomes are lower or fixed, taxes are based on their spending instead.
I guess even though I just posted many states with higher property taxes, at your request, you will just bypass those facts since it does not fit your agenda.
New Jersey which has the highest property tax also has a higher sales tax than most of Florida. NY and NJ also have many individual item taxes that are substantially higher than Florida.
Don't ask me for any more facts because you will just bypass them anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida