Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:04 PM

23 posts, read 84,591 times

Advertisements

i have be here in Fort Myers since Dec 2006 and want to talk about the crazy **** i have witnessed and expieranced and to ask my fellow northerners if they think that life here is beyond normal...Or am i a truley crazed New yorker???
The first week i moved here i was driving on Daniels parkway at 8 am in the morning.. stoppes at a red light.. boom a drunk driving lunatic did not stop and smacked into my jeep...my whole jeep was crunched although vehicles still driveable she then un attched her suv from my car and proceeded on to the next light where she again hit a minivan also with new york plates and her vehicle was then demolished .. oh yeah i drove after the ***** and witnessed in utter disbelief of what i just saw got out of my vehichle and the women screamed at me for destroying her car...children were hurt badly in the other vehicle and this women is screaming about her car.
2nd driving on my main road a month later also in this span of time at least 3xs a day there was a fatlity on the road ... i am behind some lady driving way way to fast... she hits head on a car filled with 3 kids ... a grandma and pregnant girl... i jump out of my car and never in my life have been in a fatlity situation even living in the city for all the years i did.. witnessed this horrible situation.. this is part of my every day life here and im assuming this reckless driving is considered normal to floridians.. and they say we are the worst drivers...
rude rude rude people... cutting in lines i dont care how old you are i had a older women smack me with her envelope at the post office to get out of her way in the line she cut tright in front of me at the teller windo w already. when i told her she was rude and was acting irrational she went on some crazy southern accent rant and i was asked to leave the post office can you ******* believe this becausei wouldnt let the elder cut me.. never in my life
whats up with the garbage even nyc is cleaner then this place!!! People here must not own garbage cans i can ownly imagine what the insid eof their homes look like
The school system... give me a break
School choice WHAT????
Bus drivers talkng on cell phones no seatbelts???WHAT????
Busses dropping off my child at the wrong stop 10 blocks down
I pick my 5yr old son at the same bus stop everyday well his busdriver must of forgot his stop ... drops him off 10 blocks away unnattended no one there i can see a lil blonde kid running down the streets crying and holy**** its my baby ...you just forgot outta knowwhere ...where his stop was nad IS IT NORMAL HERE TO DROP OFF A 5YR OLD UNATTENDED AT THE WRONG BUS STOP HERE because when i calle dthe school to complain which by the way is an hour away the schools sais to me "sometimes these things happen"
I now drive him to school.. also the bus would drop him off anytime around 430 to 630 always a diff time NOT KIDDING
Last week
I go to get my mail i see a jeep parked on my the side of my lawn which just so happend to be the identical of my jeep which was parked in my driveway.. i notice a man strddling my phone pole.. he gets up shows me some crumpled up embark phone comp pass and sais(i was talking on the phone as this happends) oh that explains why i cant tap into your line.. mam can u get off of your phone so i can tap your line to call my embark job to tell them my jeep broke down..SAY WHAT??? he has a cell phone on his leg and a laptop in his hand i said to him if you are from embark wheres your embark truck and why dont u just use your cell phone... he studders and i got scared ran into my house go to call my boyfriend and he jumps in his so called not working jeep and drives off
I call the phone company they say he some line hacker who trys to get personal info ... that this happends all the time and if you want to get your line checked we will come out an d service it for a hefty fee
When we moved into our house the first day .. abug women comes and asksif we want to spray for insects i tell her absolutley not and she sais well the tubes are already placed in your house so all we have to do is just pu tthe chemicals in.. I ask where do the chemicals go??? She sais through your walls.
Soooo let me get this straight you want me and my family to breathe in harmful chemicals in our house...
What????

ANd so on and so on
Is this normal here.. i would like to here more stories got any???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 01:39 PM

155 posts, read 1,052,845 times
holy **** sarah. im so sorry im here in NY contemplating a move to FL and its stories like these that make me stay put. I guess the grass isnt always greener on the other side. I would have to give up a lot to start over buying a house with a 30 year mortgage, as opposed to my 15 here in NY. Pluse i do here this from other people the amount of deadbeats and wackos down in Florida.

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2009 at 07:04 AM..

Old 03-15-2007, 02:09 PM

652 posts, read 1,276,036 times
Default re

don't move to FL. I moved to FL 8 month ago from PA and I feel exactly the same way like Sarah. Fortunately I am moving back to the North where there is more civilization.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:16 PM

458 posts, read 598,695 times
I never had any of those experiences when I lived in Florida. Our family loved every minute in FL. I have been stuck in PA for business reasons for 2 years with another 6 months to go.

I absolutely hate PA and can't wait to return to FL. where our family loved playing outdoors 12 months a year. Every time it warms up here for a day or two, here comes winter again....they are calling for another cold blast tonight. People drive like nuts all over small windy back roads. I have not seen anybody use a turn signal since I moved here. People have colds and flus 9 months out of the year.

I guess thats why they say to each his own. One person is in FL and can't wait to get back to PA. I pray I never, ever see PA again after I move back to FL.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Southwest Florida is in another dimension. It's like you're trapped in a weird Stephen King novel. I lived there for nine years. Get out while you can. If you are contemplating moving there, don't.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:33 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,188 times
My father was robbed and attacked in his house during the '03 holiday season. He's lucky to be alive. This happened in what most people would consider to be a nice neighborhood. The perps were WCI employees (and illegal immigrants). The police never made an arrest, despite the fact that my father identified the perps. I wonder how much WCI payed to have that swept under the rug.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:33 PM

63 posts, read 248,459 times
YES! PLEASE GO!!!! (I'd share my thoughts on NY but it would take me all day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
I guess thats why they say to each his own. One person is in FL and can't wait to get back to PA. I pray I never, ever see PA again after I move back to FL.
True. I never want to see GA, MA, NY, etc again.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:42 PM

12 posts, read 34,933 times
In 2003 I was sent to Miami by my employer. While there I experienced many things similar to the things you're saying. Florida is not for everyone; it's definitely not for me. I was sent to Miami in July, so, the first few months were great. I spend many weekends at the beach and playing sports. However, after the first two or three months I started to feel homesick. I came across many well-educated professionals that regreted their move to Florida from different cities in the Northeast. A co-worker had purchased a brand new Corvette and lived in a nice gated community in Pembroke Pines. After having the car about 2 months, it was stolen. It was found a few weeks later stripped. Once, I stopped to put gasoline and realized I didn't have cash; contrary to my habit of always paying cash when possible, I used my Amex Gold Card to fill up my tank. Well, somehow my card number was stolen and used across the street in a supermarket to purchase $600 of groceries. That is not terrible since it was food; maybe the person was in dire needs. Another time my wife was driving to a restaurant. As soon as the light changed to green an invidual in a huge pickup truck staring the hunk the horn (I guess my wife didin't take off fast enough). At the next light the man started to curse at my wife and threatened to get out of the car and hit her. At first, when the man started to curse I ignored him. But when I saw he intended to get out of the car I had to intervene. Needless to say he returned to his pickup truck when I got out of my wife's car. Anyway, yes, I encountered many angry people in Florida; more in three years in Florida than my entire life in New York. I still don't understand why since Florida has many great things to offer and the climate is beautiful.

QUOTE=JimKing;461023]I never had any of those experiences when I lived in Florida. Our family loved every minute in FL. I have been stuck in PA for business reasons for 2 years with another 6 months to go.

I absolutely hate PA and can't wait to return to FL. where our family loved playing outdoors 12 months a year. Every time it warms up here for a day or two, here comes winter again....they are calling for another cold blast tonight. People drive like nuts all over small windy back roads. I have not seen anybody use a turn signal since I moved here. People have colds and flus 9 months out of the year.

I guess thats why they say to each his own. One person is in FL and can't wait to get back to PA. I pray I never, ever see PA again after I move back to FL.[/quote]

Old 03-15-2007, 02:48 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitburgsarah View Post
i have be here in Fort Myers since Dec 2006 and want to talk about the crazy **** i have witnessed and expieranced and to ask my fellow northerners if they think that life here is beyond normal...Or am i a truley crazed New yorker???
The first week i moved here i was driving on Daniels parkway at 8 am in the morning.. stoppes at a red light.. boom a drunk driving lunatic did not stop and smacked into my jeep...my whole jeep was crunched although vehicles still driveable she then un attched her suv from my car and proceeded on to the next light where she again hit a minivan also with new york plates and her vehicle was then demolished .. oh yeah i drove after the ***** and witnessed in utter disbelief of what i just saw got out of my vehichle and the women screamed at me for destroying her car...children were hurt badly in the other vehicle and this women is screaming about her car.
2nd driving on my main road a month later also in this span of time at least 3xs a day there was a fatlity on the road ... i am behind some lady driving way way to fast... she hits head on a car filled with 3 kids ... a grandma and pregnant girl... i jump out of my car and never in my life have been in a fatlity situation even living in the city for all the years i did.. witnessed this horrible situation.. this is part of my every day life here and im assuming this reckless driving is considered normal to floridians.. and they say we are the worst drivers...
rude rude rude people... cutting in lines i dont care how old you are i had a older women smack me with her envelope at the post office to get out of her way in the line she cut tright in front of me at the teller windo w already. when i told her she was rude and was acting irrational she went on some crazy southern accent rant and i was asked to leave the post office can you ******* believe this becausei wouldnt let the elder cut me.. never in my life
whats up with the garbage even nyc is cleaner then this place!!! People here must not own garbage cans i can ownly imagine what the insid eof their homes look like
The school system... give me a break
School choice WHAT????
Bus drivers talkng on cell phones no seatbelts???WHAT????
Busses dropping off my child at the wrong stop 10 blocks down
I pick my 5yr old son at the same bus stop everyday well his busdriver must of forgot his stop ... drops him off 10 blocks away unnattended no one there i can see a lil blonde kid running down the streets crying and holy**** its my baby ...you just forgot outta knowwhere ...where his stop was nad IS IT NORMAL HERE TO DROP OFF A 5YR OLD UNATTENDED AT THE WRONG BUS STOP HERE because when i calle dthe school to complain which by the way is an hour away the schools sais to me "sometimes these things happen"
I now drive him to school.. also the bus would drop him off anytime around 430 to 630 always a diff time NOT KIDDING
Last week
I go to get my mail i see a jeep parked on my the side of my lawn which just so happend to be the identical of my jeep which was parked in my driveway.. i notice a man strddling my phone pole.. he gets up shows me some crumpled up embark phone comp pass and sais(i was talking on the phone as this happends) oh that explains why i cant tap into your line.. mam can u get off of your phone so i can tap your line to call my embark job to tell them my jeep broke down..SAY WHAT??? he has a cell phone on his leg and a laptop in his hand i said to him if you are from embark wheres your embark truck and why dont u just use your cell phone... he studders and i got scared ran into my house go to call my boyfriend and he jumps in his so called not working jeep and drives off
I call the phone company they say he some line hacker who trys to get personal info ... that this happends all the time and if you want to get your line checked we will come out an d service it for a hefty fee
When we moved into our house the first day .. abug women comes and asksif we want to spray for insects i tell her absolutley not and she sais well the tubes are already placed in your house so all we have to do is just pu tthe chemicals in.. I ask where do the chemicals go??? She sais through your walls.
Soooo let me get this straight you want me and my family to breathe in harmful chemicals in our house...
What????

ANd so on and so on
Is this normal here.. i would like to here more stories got any???
With all due respect, but seriously, why don't you just leave?

Old 03-15-2007, 02:49 PM

63 posts, read 248,459 times
I'm the first one to admit this place is crazy! Being from here I am from here I am used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida