Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Time to leave Florida in reference to real estate market, foreclosure rates, insurance rates, market crash, upside down mortgages, overpriced homes

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:47 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times

Advertisements

Shores, you know how I feel. The Florida pics thread will not be the same at all. You've brought me smiles from the first day I joined the board. I think it was the day that you were threatening to take Muggy up in your plane. What a great intro to the forum! I hope that, next year, when I'm in FL, sweating myself silly, we can connect and maybe, just maybe I could get a spin in that plane. I'll make shrimp alfredo AND prime rib for it! Best wishes. Fly right and stay, please stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 05:55 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,595 times
Stay Shores and just remember opinions are like a*holes...everybody's got one.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:08 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
Funny how we choose to surround ourselves with people and things of like nature. Alcoholics with alcoholics, drug addicts with drug addicts – personable and friendly with personable and friendly. Despite the fact we may despise our associations [i.e with drunks or addicts] unless we consciously decide otherwise it seems that we gravitate to what we ourselves are.

I just read a thread about the subprime meltdown and thought to myself ***what stupidity*** The fact that -- even though everyone is entitled to their opinion which is a fact I fully respect -- someone actually responded to this crap and said “one can only hope! The harder the market crashes the better” really proves the ignorance and self serving self centeredness of some people.

If any market Florida or otherwise were to experience a severe market crash it would be more catastrophic then the worst hurricane we have ever seen, it would set the state back 25 years and would take almost as long to recover.

The good news is that this event is so unlikely I would not waste the time to even respond, which brings me back to my opening statement:

I have had the pleasure while being here to communicate with some wonderful people. Too bad the number is so few!! I’m sure there are many others out there but this board is dominated by such negativity and that is something I can do without. And without it I will do!

I am so dumb. I just realized this is one of those classic posts you see on every internet board, "I am never posting on this board again". (Between the lines), "Please try to talk me out of it and tell me you love me". If you don't want to read or post anymore just don't read or post anymore and if you decide to make a post again, then do. These particular posts always crack me up, as well as in a couple of days the poster is back anyway.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
I disagree 100%. The run up in prices was artificially created by giving loans to people who could not afford them. The banks, realtors, and appraisers all conspired to do this.

Greenspan kept the rates too low. The feds looked the other way as bad loans were written. They used raising property taxes to make up for the deficits caused by government spending. There is tons of blame to go around.

Florida is 30-50% overpriced, depending on where you are talking about. The markets have to correct now so that the next generation has a future.

The pain will be great but only because the greed and stupidity were great. It is like an illness, ignore it and it gets worse.

No one wishes for people to suffer but there is no other way. You have to burst this bubble, the sooner you get it over with the better for everyone.

And you are dead wrong, the probability is almost 100% that many Florida markets will crash. So go put your head in the sand.
This is a very intelligent post! I am very concerned about the next generation, and if prices don't fall, they will be stuck in a miserable life of low-quality housing and long hours at work. Setting Florida back 25 years is a good thing, and necessary so we don't lose this state.. Do you really want to be a slave to your house? Wouldn't you rather buy a home for 3 times your income, and have money left over to take time off and enjoy your family? I want Florida to be the way it was.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:02 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Shores don't let the market eat at you . Its the market and it will go up and down. You will always have housing bears and bulls. Just like Democrats and Republicans. Its not a big deal. But I have to say the Muggy plane ride thing was funny.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:11 PM

944 posts, read 3,848,020 times
Quote:
I really wish Muggy was around right now…
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/muggyFL/FlyinTater.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
I know he would give me a proper send off... fitting of his wit and candor
I gave you a proper send-off last time you pulled the plug. And yes, it was/is fitting of my wit and candor. Sometimes I am more subtle than flagrant. Let's try it again; look a little closer this time:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/muggyFL/Bucs.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-15-2007, 07:12 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,248 times
Hope I didn't miss the chance to let you know that you will be so sorely missed, Shores9. I myself am quite disheartened by all of the negativity even though I'm having a tough time of it. I tried to start a thread just the other day which was of a positive nature, and I was really surprised by the lack of response not to mention the bitterness and venom of a poster who actually posted that bitterness and venom numerous times throughout that thread. I am on my way back to St. Petersburg (so that I can be with others who are more like myself) and am glad to know that we will be neighbors, even though I wouldn't recognize you if we were in the same crowd. Perhaps we will bump into one another at the Saturday Morning Market sometime. I can wave a flag that says "St. Pete or bust!" on it so that you will know it is me!!! LOVE your pics! I also enjoy taking pics of all the beautiful things in FL. Take care of yourself. Best always, Shores!

Old 03-15-2007, 07:21 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/muggyFL/FlyinTater.jpg (broken link)

I gave you a proper send-off last time you pulled the plug. And yes, it was/is fitting of my wit and candor. Sometimes I am more subtle than flagrant. Let's try it again; look a little closer this time:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/muggyFL/Bucs.jpg (broken link)
Now thats funny, But the score should be 14.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:46 PM

23 posts, read 84,601 times
Quote:
Priceless

This thread is about the ignorance and stupidity of many posters on this board and that I fell its time to go. Instead of saying something like

Sorry to see you go or
Don’t let the door hit you in the a** on the way out or
Get on with it and go

I actually get the sheer stupidity I mentioned in a response arguing the example I used to illustrate the same STUPIDITY.
thank you thank you ... okay i am not crazy what is up with the negativity here...

Old 03-15-2007, 08:06 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
This is a very intelligent post! I am very concerned about the next generation, and if prices don't fall, they will be stuck in a miserable life of low-quality housing and long hours at work. Setting Florida back 25 years is a good thing, and necessary so we don't lose this state.. Do you really want to be a slave to your house? Wouldn't you rather buy a home for 3 times your income, and have money left over to take time off and enjoy your family? I want Florida to be the way it was.

Prices have already gone down and still going down. I disagree with anyone who thinks otherwise. My neighboors cant sell their houses, well one did for $525k and its worth $368k now so that buyer is in deep trouble
I have a thread of an investor/speculator who paid $440k and no one wants to buy it for $350k, hes still trying to sell it, I attended the opening house. Im gonna guess it may be foreclosed as the investor/speculator isnt gonna sell it for $200k and a foreclosure is less of a loss at this point.

Once house prices drop 50% Florida and other expensive states will become affordable again to the middle class. People are talking about $100k houses in Orlando(not that id buy there) There was a guy leaving Ohio for FL because he says his Ohio city was insane. Probably a wise decision to sell as theres no way houses will stay expensive in Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida