Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:58 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
May be so but you guys forget the huge job losses that started in 2005 and have continued in the Midwest.

Still that's not my point.

My point is, that people are not looking to move in to Cleveland Ohio, Detroit Michigan, Buffalo NY, Indianapolis IN, Gary IN and on and on .....especially for retirement....but they ARE looking to come to Florida. That is one advantage you have. You'll always have people like me hoping to retire there. Always.
You are talking of the past. Florida is no longer the only sought after retirement destination. In today's economy seniors have less disposable income and cost of living is a huge concern. Seniors have many great cities to choose from that are much more affordable than Florida. And retirees with more robust bank accounts are also choosing locations alll over the country (and yes even in the midwest). Here is a list that may interest you.
Best Places to Retire 2008 - Money Magazine

And a great article for you to read:
Is Florida the Sunset State? - TIME

Old 02-09-2009, 07:07 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Best places for a long life - 4. Collier County, FL (4) - Money Magazine

I am 60 now. I would rather be dead than live to be 80 in Naples.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:12 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Best places for a long life - 4. Collier County, FL (4) - Money Magazine

I am 60 now. I would rather be dead than live to be 80 in Naples.
I agree with you, I can't imagine spending my retirement years in a Florida retirement community. Give me a city with life, that how I want to retire.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:26 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Frank,

Your optimism and positiveness are most refreshing in this abysmal economy. Florida has greatly benefited from the "grass is always greener" outlook from those wishing to escape the cold winters. It didn't hurt either when more people could take their well-earned northern pensions and significant home equity to the state that offered it all. What happened to the dream of retiring to the good life in Florida ?

You and I are among a small percentage of the lucky ones. We will have our public service pensions and our paid health benefits until Social Security that will be guaranteed by our government (kind of like FDIC). Luckily, we were long-standing members of unions that took exceptional care of their members. Yet, will you still feel the pinch that others are feeling through every facet of their lives, when you attempt to sell your home(s) and a scarcity of qualified buyers prevent this?

This forum is representative of individuals coming to grips with an economy that could potentially bankrupt them not only of their money, but their dreams. I would wager to say that even those who return to their native states will find that their visions are different from reality; the disappointments can and will still abound. Florida has long been billed as "the place where dreams come true", and for many years, and many people, this has held true. Unfortunately, and the economy has much to do with it, the credo for many has now changed. Florida has been unduly devastated by the national economic downturn. The Florida credo for too many now could easily change to: "Florida, the place where dreams come to die".

I don't view myself as a "basher", but a realist. Here's hoping that economic recovery is on the way soon, and that the Bills will soon return to the Super Bowl. Oh wait.... no one can wait that long!!!
RC,
I agree.....your posts have always been correct, factual, and well written. While I have given up on the Bills, I personally have not given up on my place in Florida. I also agree that we are a blessed minority. My personal situation is perhaps a bit more positive and solid then others. I have also tried to be balanced.......while I personally have been smitten by our Florida life, (home, neighbors, lifestyle, time there, etc), I know that anyone considering Florida needs to be cautious, secure in their job and home, etc. It is by far not Disneyworld.

My response to others considering Florida has been to carefully weigh things out and not see the state through sunshine, beachy, MickeyMouse glasses.

For many retirees, I believe it can bee a good place to settle....but worse case scenario that proves wrong....I can always become a half-back.....

Frank D.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:26 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
So didn't you two kiss and make up and go for an airplane ride a long time ago?

AHHHH, Florida has it's good points and it's bad points just like all over. Right at the moment, it seems the good is outweighing the bad. Dang your economy is bad down there right now.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Wow, still in denial...
Isn't that a river in Egypt....??

Old 02-09-2009, 07:36 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
As a Florida native, I can truly say that even though Florida is currently dealing with an economic challenge....it still beats having to snow shovel your way out of your house in your golden years.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:41 PM

944 posts, read 3,847,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Isn't that a river in Egypt....??
Frank, if you're going to try to ZING! me, you're going to have to lose the pebbles and go nuclear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
So didn't you two kiss and make up and go for an airplane ride a long time ago?
Ah, the glory days... back when breakfast plates held double bacon.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:51 PM

I also agree with Mrs. P.

As I said before.....Florida has more then it's share of problems. Also, I am by no means an expert about Florida. Mostly, I only know what I have seen around the area I bought in Central Florida.

There are MANY 55+ communities around me down there. New homes are being built daily....these are not spec homes, but homes bought and paid for by retirees moving there. 13 miles north of me, in The Villages, 20 homes EVERY DAY are being moved into. They now have over 75,000 people, with a two year projection of over 100,000. Many love it there and would not live anyplace else.

Now I know that The Villages are not for everyone.......we've already had threads on that subject. I'm only saying that the place is growing every day with folks who WANT to live there. As the baby boomers march into retirement, many will stay where they are, many will go out west, or to the Carolinas, Tennessee, Kentucky, etc........but SOME will go to Florida, and like it.

There are probably over a dozen 55+ communities within a few minutes drive of my place....they are growing. That may very well not be the trend all over Florida, I'm sure.....but I do see many happy retirees wherever I look down there.

I'm not trying to sway anyone......just stating my observations in one area. With all of it's problems, Florida can be good for some.

Frank D.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:54 PM

[quote=Muggy;7398490]Frank, if you're going to try to ZING! me, you're going to have to lose the pebbles and go nuclear.

Muggy....I wasn't zinging you..I'm too nice for that....just making a lighthearted joke. Carry on...

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida