Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:37 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
The National Center for missing/exploited children have on their website 275 missing children from Florida in the last 10 years.

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children

New York has 78

Texas has 143

California has 221

You do realize that each state sets their own criteria for who gets listed as missing right. If the state does not report it they do not get on the list.
You just look at the first page for Florida and they have a 17 year old male listed who has been missing for a few weeks. Not exactly a child abduction in the sense most think of.

This is similar to when everyone was saying, look how many people are on the sex offender data base for Florida compared to NY. They didn't realize that NY only listed level 3 offenders which were the worst offenders and Florida listed all theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 03:39 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,127 times
Quote:
I almost became a County Sheriff up here in Tennessee and was going to later apply to the Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office but when I looked into all the B.S. that you have to do to work in that profession in Florida when coming from another state I gave it up and started school for a teachers degree, To be honest, you have to go through alot of red tape to teach in Florida coming from another state as well..

But seriously, the FDLE is a joke.
Equivalnecy of training and taking the state exam is a bunch of B.S.?

If you try going to Texas and challenge TCLEOSE your in world of hurt, and half the departments there are going to force you go through the entire academy again...no just EOT like FL.

If living in FL, it's pretty straightforward....just go to the local community college, apply for the academy... complete it and then apply for jobs before graudating...

Old 02-11-2009, 03:41 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
That made national headlines. In fact, I was up North at the time, the newscasters were saying where do you think this happened? Guess. FLORIDA.

If two adult policemen cannot subdue and restrain a 5 year old and need to taser her, how in the world are they going to capture and restrain an adult criminal? What kind of training did these law enforcement people get in Florida?
Well if we're going to judge the whole state law enforcement community but just a few officers:

At least the law enforcement officers here know the difference between a gun and a taser, unlike the cop that shot the guy in the back in Oakland.....

Old 02-11-2009, 03:43 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
You do realize that each state sets their own criteria for who gets listed as missing right. If the state does not report it they do not get on the list.
You just look at the first page for Florida and they have a 17 year old male listed who has been missing for a few weeks. Not exactly a child abduction in the sense most think of.

This is similar to when everyone was saying, look how many people are on the sex offender data base for Florida compared to NY. They didn't realize that NY only listed level 3 offenders which were the worst offenders and Florida listed all theirs.
If you skew numbers enough you can prove anything to be right.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children is THE authority on missing children no matter if they are 17, abducted, runaways, or whatever, Even runaways get picked up later and abused or killed.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:47 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Equivalnecy of training and taking the state exam is a bunch of B.S.?

If you try going to Texas and challenge TCLEOSE your in world of hurt, and half the departments there are going to force you go through the entire academy again...no just EOT like FL.

If living in FL, it's pretty straightforward....just go to the local community college, apply for the academy... complete it and then apply for jobs before graudating...
I talked to a guy for the Houston PD as well as a guy at the Pinellas County Sheriffs Office in Clearwater ( I used to live in Texas and would LOVE to go back ) The guy in Houston told me that my experience would be applied and all I would have to do is take a class on the laws in Texas.

The guy at the PCSO said I would have to take the entire police academy over again and then test for the Florida Police Officer Exam which just seems like a huge runaround esp. to deal with MORE crime for LESS pay. It just amazes me how hard it is to do anything in Florida.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:47 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
If you skew numbers enough you can prove anything to be right.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children is THE authority on missing children no matter if they are 17, abducted, runaways, or whatever, Even runaways get picked up later and abused or killed.
You said exactly the point I was trying to get across.

The numbers for each state are not based on the same criteria so they don't tell the whole story.

If law enforcement in NY does not list someone as missing then it will not be picked up for the database.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:13 PM

263 posts, read 574,474 times
"Guess what, when I lived in NY the news was about what was going on in NY."

Yes, and FL makes national news in these cases, and that's what I said in my first post.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:16 PM

Default wow, 275?

Quote:
The National Center for missing/exploited children have on their website 275 missing children from Florida in the last 10 years.

New York has 78

Texas has 143

California has 221

275 in FL and more than larger states mentioned above. I thought it seemed like we had a lot. No matter where it happens, it is very sad.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:18 PM

"You do realize that each state sets their own criteria for who gets listed as missing right. If the state does not report it they do not get on the list.
You just look at the first page for Florida and they have a 17 year old male listed who has been missing for a few weeks. Not exactly a child abduction in the sense most think of."

But this could be said for any of the other states too.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:23 PM

No matter what, there's always this "but......" I saw the same thing in the road rage discussion in the Miami forum. 3 yrs in a row miami was voted worst for road rage... 3 yrs in a row! The miami lovers flat out denied it. Now this. I love FL, born and raised, but it has changed and this is no longer paradise. We have crime, sex offender, road rage, rude and crude issues. And yes, every other state may have it too, but FL has it pretty bad! Even if you love it here (as I used to), you have to admit, things have changed, and not for the better. We should be known as "criminal and malcontent relocationville USA."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida