Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:08 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,939,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I talked to a guy for the Houston PD as well as a guy at the Pinellas County Sheriffs Office in Clearwater ( I used to live in Texas and would LOVE to go back ) The guy in Houston told me that my experience would be applied and all I would have to do is take a class on the laws in Texas.

The guy at the PCSO said I would have to take the entire police academy over again and then test for the Florida Police Officer Exam which just seems like a huge runaround esp. to deal with MORE crime for LESS pay. It just amazes me how hard it is to do anything in Florida.
Huh...well I guess each department has it's own standards about repeating the academy. I do know that in either TX or FL you have to pass the state certification exam to become certified, and I've heard that TCLEOSE is one of the hardest in the country...

- Florida Department of Law Enforcement

Don't know what's up with PCSO... but according to FDLE an out of state cert transfers with EOT and proficiency in high liabilites.....

Less pay....perhaps.... but you get FRS if you work for the state, a county or a university.... and FRS blows away anthing you'd get in TX..

Not so sure about "more crime"... I doubt Pinellas County has more crime than Houston does

The problem with FL law enforcement is how screwed up the state level is. Seriously...FHP, FDOT, FDLE, FDA (Agriculture), FWC and several others all of which are completley separate agencies....in TX, DPS is everything under one branch and is much better organized...

It sounds like you've done the research, so I assume you've heard of FHP's pay problem? $33,000/yr....with no longetivity or merit raises ever, no thanks..

A couple of years ago a bill was passed to solve that problem, but the governor vetoed it because the Sheriff's association was afraid of a "state police"....

Something that actually made sense... therefore our FL politicians absolutley could not allow it to pass...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 05:16 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
Default I used to live in Suffolk County, LI,

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Huh...well I guess each department has it's own standards about repeating the academy. I do know that in either TX or FL you have to pass the state certification exam to become certified, and I've heard that TCLEOSE is one of the hardest in the country...

- Florida Department of Law Enforcement

Don't know what's up with PCSO... but according to FDLE an out of state cert transfers with EOT and proficiency in high liabilites.....

Less pay....perhaps.... but you get FRS if you work for the state, a county or a university.... and FRS blows away anthing you'd get in TX..

Not so sure about "more crime"... I doubt Pinellas County has more crime than Houston does

The problem with FL law enforcement is how screwed up the state level is. Seriously...FHP, FDOT, FDLE, FDA (Agriculture), FWC and several others all of which are completley separate agencies....in TX, DPS is everything under one branch and is much better organized...

It sounds like you've done the research, so I assume you've heard of FHP's pay problem? $33,000/yr....with no longetivity or merit raises ever, no thanks..

A couple of years ago a bill was passed to solve that problem, but the governor vetoed it because the Sheriff's association was afraid of a "state police"....

Something that actually made sense... therefore our FL politicians absolutley could not allow it to pass...
NY. Do you know what the pay is after 6 years on the force? $105,000 without any OT. Do you know how many NYC cops try to take the test to be cops in Suffolk Cty? My older daughter took that test a year out of HS and scored a 96% and was put on a wait list.

$33,000 is PITIFUL.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:58 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,631,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
"You do realize that each state sets their own criteria for who gets listed as missing right. If the state does not report it they do not get on the list.
You just look at the first page for Florida and they have a 17 year old male listed who has been missing for a few weeks. Not exactly a child abduction in the sense most think of."

But this could be said for any of the other states too.
Exactly.

As I pointed out with the sex offender example some states are more vigilant on getting the info out there.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:22 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,939,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
NY. Do you know what the pay is after 6 years on the force? $105,000 without any OT. Do you know how many NYC cops try to take the test to be cops in Suffolk Cty? My older daughter took that test a year out of HS and scored a 96% and was put on a wait list.

$33,000 is PITIFUL.
Of course...that's why I called it a "pay problem"

I do believe that one of the counties on LI had the highest paid cop in the country at $250,000 or so. Of course they are very hard to get onto for obvious reasons...

However, NYPD starts out at $43,000..... not very good for the COL there....

FHP has the pay problem... most of the other FL agencies aren't nearly as bad...

FDLE pays their special agents into the upper 80's and low 90's

I know some Collier deputies were making $110,000 with OT... not bad at all considering they get a free car (not done up North) and FRS (again, not done up North)....

Old 02-12-2009, 09:48 AM

831 posts, read 2,436,537 times
So if we were to get back on topic with this girls disappearance do you think the family is involved once again?

Old 02-12-2009, 09:56 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
So if we were to get back on topic with this girls disappearance do you think the family is involved once again?
Ahhhh now, you wouldn't want to ruin yet another "let's bash Florida" thread would you?

Back to the subject, I hope the little girl is ok, I just have a gut feeling that somebody's not tell the whole truth.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 AM

263 posts, read 574,447 times
The father seems like he doesnt have the best parenting skills to begin with. The daughter was found in a canal a while back, luckily the mom found her and was able to revive her.

I think that the family may be involved. I believe the mom though and dont think she has anything to do with it. The dad and his 17 yr old girlfriend, not so sure about.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

$33,000 is PITIFUL.
A Police Officer I with the Metro-Nashville PD with a little college starts out at roughly $40k and even someone fresh out of high school starts at $38k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
However, NYPD starts out at $43,000..... not very good for the COL there....

I know some Collier deputies were making $110,000 with OT... not bad at all considering they get a free car (not done up North) and FRS (again, not done up North)....
The NYPD may only start at $43k but at the 5 year mark you're already in the high 50's.. that's a helluva raise.

BTW, Most police forces allow you to keep your patrol car, I'm assuming that's what you meant by free car.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:31 AM

765 posts, read 2,637,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
A Police Officer I with the Metro-Nashville PD with a little college starts out at roughly $40k and even someone fresh out of high school starts at $38k.

The NYPD may only start at $43k but at the 5 year mark you're already in the high 50's.. that's a helluva raise.

BTW, Most police forces allow you to keep your patrol car, I'm assuming that's what you meant by free car.
This is NOT the thread in which to discuss police salaries!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:48 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
The father seems like he doesnt have the best parenting skills to begin with. The daughter was found in a canal a while back, luckily the mom found her and was able to revive her.

I think that the family may be involved. I believe the mom though and dont think she has anything to do with it. The dad and his 17 yr old girlfriend, not so sure about.
I was thinking the same thing, especially about the young girlfriend. I hope they find this little girl soon and I hope she is Okay. So sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida