Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:10 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

"Westonzuelan" that's cute, but I'm guessing it's not supposed to be
The Tri-State (NY/NJ/CT) area has "guidos". California has "bros". Hialeah has "chongas". Weston has Westonzuelans. It is mostly in good humor.

PS- The South (especially Florida) is way less race conscious than the north, trust me. They just don't know it. Ever been to Long Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 06:19 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
The Tri-State (NY/NJ/CT) area has "guidos". California has "bros". Hialeah has "chongas". Weston has Westonzuelans. It is mostly in good humor.

PS- The South (especially Florida) is way less race conscious than the north, trust me. They just don't know it. Ever been to Long Island?
OK, thanks, I'm trying to learn, just out of sociological curiosity, really.

Been there, never lived there but I get you. But really, I've never heard someone even presume that they could "pick" a "white" school per se.I'm not even familiar with any public schools that would qualify. LOL Especially saying it out loud, but the web anonymity thing I guess.

I'm not aware of any less racial consciousness in the few friends I've had from Birmingham, Tx, Fayetteville Ark., Charlotte, etc but I'm open to the possibility that you may be right.

The funny thing to me is the sub-sets of all the various forms of "Hispanic" micro examination (made that term up). It may as well be on the other side of the world type of discussion for us Northerns who don't give a hoot if you're from Mexico, Cuba, Latin America or Spain or So America etc etc etc. OK, well Spain I hate the bullfighting.

I am proud of my son, who has a "colleague" who used the bathroom in the trashcan in his home. When my son asked him "wtf" the kid said that's how they did it in his house from wherever he came from it was the way and because he isnt very worldly he didn't even think twice, he's about 25 years old. My son thought it was endearing and sad all at once and didn't for a minute dislike the guy or mock him. Nor did any of the other guys who were there (they were going on a business "road trip" together)There is hope for the next generation I think. Then again, maybe he just meant the pipes were clogged for years in his house in FLL HA!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:38 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,474 times
I am a parent of a 21 year old, an 18 year old and an eight year old, all who have come through the public school system. I have also been teaching in the public school system in FL for 25 years. I taught in a Title I school for 21 of those years and am currently in a school with a much higher population of middle class children. My first school has been a B or C school for the past seven or eight years. My current school has been rated an A school since I have been there. I can tell you based on personal experience that just because a school has earned the A grade it does not necessarily mean the school is better. For instance, a school can drop from an A to a B or a B to a C just because that school had three or four students enrolled in the special education program whose scores did not improve by enough percentage points. That literally is all it takes for a grade to drop. I would also like to add that you are going to find some of your most dedicated, capable, patient and caring teachers in those schools with lower grades because of the type of population they serve in general. My boys both had excellent teachers for their entire six years of elementary school there. My daughter has had the same at our A school. The main differences I have noticed in the A school compared to the other school is the level of parent involvement and the income level of the families in general (and sometimes its not the parent's fault. If the parent works at Wal-Mart or McDonalds and has no sick or vacation time or doesn't have transportation there, there is going to be a lot less involvement.). And of course there are going to be more students coming out of A and B schools more prepared for college. They tend to come from the types of families who encourage higher education, read to their children, talk to their children, play with their children, help them with homework and projects, have the means to take them on more exotic vacations where they gain so much knowledge and the list goes on. If you are that type of parent your child is going to be prepared for college whether he attends an A school or an F school. At the other types of schools there is sometimes a free lunch rate of greater than 80% and transient rates can be 50% or higher. Many of those families do not have the means to send their children to college nor do many of them even value a college education. You have to consider also that gifted children in FL qualify for special education under the exceptional student education umbrella. What they have done in many districts is provide education for gifted students in certain schools in various parts of town. Therefore if a school is considered a "gifted center" (my current school is) that school is going to tend to produce much higher test scores.

Second, as far as race is concerned you want what you want, but I would like to add that first, FL does have a high population of minority groups so please be prepared for that. We have a high percentage of African Americans and a higher than average Hispanic population, especially in some districts and in parts of districts. So, its going to be a bit more difficult to find schools with a low percentage of minorities. Second, our children are all going to have to work with people of different ethnic backgrounds and races as they get older, probably starting in middle school and most definately by high school. I would prefer my children be exposed to and encouraged to interact with all children of all ethnic backgrounds, but that is just me. You are certainly entitled to what you think is best for your children and your family. It is not a caucasion world or any other type of segregated world for that matter though (thankfully) but a great big exciting world which is a melting pot of different races, backgrounds, religions and cultures. I guess my point is, why worry about the racial majority in your children's elementary schools when eventually they are going to be with students of a vast variety of backgrounds and cultures anyway.

Nancy

Old 07-02-2008, 04:56 PM

847 posts, read 3,519,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
Naples Florida would also be a good choice.
She said she wanted a GOOD school district. Naples? NO, NO, NO! If Collier County Schools are considered good in Florida, I would hate to see what is going on in other districts. I worked in Collier County last year so I have first hand knowledge. We will be leaving Naples before our kids are school aged.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 AM

49 posts, read 144,158 times
Florida schools are horrible! And if you thought were OK, wait until the new governor gets done cutting $3 Billion from education! If you are a retired senior or an attorney, this is a decent place. If not.....RUN!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:53 PM

398 posts, read 729,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLdyingfast View Post
Florida schools are horrible! And if you thought were OK, wait until the new governor gets done cutting $3 Billion from education! If you are a retired senior or an attorney, this is a decent place. If not.....RUN!
I agree 100% Florida's education will not get better but can it get worse?

Old 03-18-2011, 02:11 PM

114 posts, read 279,446 times
Education Week: January 13, 2011

florida ranked 5th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida