Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:06 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times

Advertisements

There are alot worse places in America than Lakeland. Believe me I have seen much of the USA. There are some beautiful areas and the quality of life can change from one region to the other. With that said there are some heavily marketed areas of the USA that leave much to be desired.

Lakeland has some problems but it has some very good points also. It is not a huge city with the every day traffic of places like Orlando or Miami. It has a feeling of sense of place and part of that is its downtown, its lakes and some of the walkability it has in those areas. Its smaller more compact size. It has a warmer climate in winter, usually that is, its hot during summers and that can be a plus or a drawback depending on the person. The warmer weather makes it nice if one wants to walk or ride a bike on the bike trails in the region. It is self contained and as bad as the traffic is to get to Orlando or Tampa, they are within easy reach distance wise especially Tampa. As bad as the economy is across the country including Lakeland. The region is the home base for various companies that do provde jobs. I think the area is a much better fit for someone seeking employment than places like Sarasota or Naples or any other more tourist oriented area. Unless of course one is in the tourist business.

One can search the country over and over for places to live and exhaust themself trying to pick a place. Many of the people on these forums can give good advice and many many people are venting. I am guilty of it myself at times. I think if someone feels they have found a place that sort of Soothes their Soul. Then that is good they may have found their place even with its faults. The place meets their needs and they accept its less appealing traits. It does no good to harp on how bad a place is. One can give negatives in an informative way without going overboard with negative information. I have learned that about myself. All that does is lead a person to keep searching for thier special place. The search will probably never end because so many tell them the place is Horrible and not worth thier time. The OP of this tread has visted Lakeland several times. He has a good idea of what Lakeland is, its faults and its good points and it is obvious the place does Soothe his Soul. Leave him in peace. If he moves there and falters then he picks himself up and trys again. Life is a learning experiece and thats how it is. You only live once make the most of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 12:46 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
There are alot worse places in America than Lakeland. Believe me I have seen much of the USA. There are some beautiful areas and the quality of life can change from one region to the other. With that said there are some heavily marketed areas of the USA that leave much to be desired.

Lakeland has some problems but it has some very good points also. It is not a huge city with the every day traffic of places like Orlando or Miami. It has a feeling of sense of place and part of that is its downtown, its lakes and some of the walkability it has in those areas. Its smaller more compact size. It has a warmer climate in winter, usually that is, its hot during summers and that can be a plus or a drawback depending on the person. The warmer weather makes it nice if one wants to walk or ride a bike on the bike trails in the region. It is self contained and as bad as the traffic is to get to Orlando or Tampa, they are within easy reach distance wise especially Tampa. As bad as the economy is across the country including Lakeland. The region is the home base for various companies that do provde jobs. I think the area is a much better fit for someone seeking employment than places like Sarasota or Naples or any other more tourist oriented area. Unless of course one is in the tourist business.

One can search the country over and over for places to live and exhaust themself trying to pick a place. Many of the people on these forums can give good advice and many many people are venting. I am guilty of it myself at times. I think if someone feels they have found a place that sort of Soothes their Soul. Then that is good they may have found their place even with its faults. The place meets their needs and they accept its less appealing traits. It does no good to harp on how bad a place is. One can give negatives in an informative way without going overboard with negative information. I have learned that about myself. All that does is lead a person to keep searching for thier special place. The search will probably never end because so many tell them the place is Horrible and not worth thier time. The OP of this tread has visted Lakeland several times. He has a good idea of what Lakeland is, its faults and its good points and it is obvious the place does Soothe his Soul. Leave him in peace. If he moves there and falters then he picks himself up and trys again. Life is a learning experiece and thats how it is. You only live once make the most of it.
What a great post, JimRob. I could have written it myself, because I feel exactly the same way. Your posts always have a lot of wisdom.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 PM

729 posts, read 1,301,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

Great post.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:18 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
I'm thinking about making the move to Lakeland in the next couple of years. I've read about Lakeland's faults and charm. It sounds like a good combination of what I'm looking for. I want a smaller to mid size city that has some small town feel to it. Something not too expensive. And most importantly, warm all year long. I grew up in northern Michigan and then moved to NC. I'm sick of the winter even here in NC. I just want a place that is warm all year. I can handle the heat in summer, too. Seriously, I'm so sick of cold winters that I can stand a Florida summer. Plus I plan on having a pool anyway.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:13 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Get a job first.....LOL.

Seriously,
Quote:
Winter-sucks====I can handle the heat in summer, too. Seriously, I'm so sick of cold winters that I can stand a Florida summer. Plus I plan on having a pool anyway.
the heat can get really bad. I am a native and the older I get, the harder it gets. But, I think it is hotter than it used to be because we have lost so much of the groves and pasture land. Now we have more asphalt and concrete, which makes it hotter.

My DH is from Pennsylvania and he would never go back to cold and snow. He says they will drag him out of Florida, kickin' and screamin'.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm thinking about making the move to Lakeland in the next couple of years. I've read about Lakeland's faults and charm. It sounds like a good combination of what I'm looking for. I want a smaller to mid size city that has some small town feel to it. Something not too expensive. And most importantly, warm all year long. I grew up in northern Michigan and then moved to NC. I'm sick of the winter even here in NC. I just want a place that is warm all year. I can handle the heat in summer, too. Seriously, I'm so sick of cold winters that I can stand a Florida summer. Plus I plan on having a pool anyway.
Lakeland is a very nice self-contained city, and I agree with JimRob that this city, and Polk County in general is or will be one of the best in the state for jobs, so many corporate headquarters here, plus smack in the middle of the hi-tech corridor. There is a new USF Polytechnic Univeristy being built, and there are also lots of plans for rail in the area. You can also consider Winter Haven, which is just 15 miles SE of Lakeland, it is about half the size of Lakeland, with a gorgeous little walkable downtown with a state-of-the-art library, park, and many shops and restaurants. Winter Haven is also slated to get LegoLand, (the old Cypress Gardens) - so lot of economic activity in the area, but minus the heavy traffic and cost of the beach towns. Winter Haven also has the chain-of-lakes. So, take a look at both towns and see how they feel to you. As a native Floridian, to me they have that "sense of place" and community pride feel that is lacking in many other cities.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:40 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Lakeland is a very nice self-contained city, and I agree with JimRob that this city, and Polk County in general is or will be one of the best in the state for jobs, so many corporate headquarters here, plus smack in the middle of the hi-tech corridor. There is a new USF Polytechnic Univeristy being built, and there are also lots of plans for rail in the area. You can also consider Winter Haven, which is just 15 miles SE of Lakeland, it is about half the size of Lakeland, with a gorgeous little walkable downtown with a state-of-the-art library, park, and many shops and restaurants. Winter Haven is also slated to get LegoLand, (the old Cypress Gardens) - so lot of economic activity in the area, but minus the heavy traffic and cost of the beach towns. Winter Haven also has the chain-of-lakes. So, take a look at both towns and see how they feel to you. As a native Floridian, to me they have that "sense of place" and community pride feel that is lacking in many other cities.

Good luck!
I will look into what you're talking about. I'm not looking for beaches and tourists. I want pretty much what you're describing. My wife and I are teachers, so I will start looking around. I've got lots of time and I'm in no rush, so a few trips down will be in store to see what the area is like.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 AM

9 posts, read 23,001 times
What are the other small towns south of Lakeland like? How do they compare to Plant City or areas of Hillsborough County? I'm looking for a family friendly place with reasonably good schools and a positive family atmosphere. We have no desire to live in a city.

I'm thrilled to see someone has purchased Cypress Gardens. Any idea when it will re-open?

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull64 View Post
What are the other small towns south of Lakeland like? How do they compare to Plant City or areas of Hillsborough County? I'm looking for a family friendly place with reasonably good schools and a positive family atmosphere. We have no desire to live in a city.

I'm thrilled to see someone has purchased Cypress Gardens. Any idea when it will re-open?

Thanks!

I think I read Legoland was scheduled to open in late 2011.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
What a great post, JimRob. I could have written it myself, because I feel exactly the same way. Your posts always have a lot of wisdom.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida