Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 22,248 times

Advertisements

I have decided that the time has come to take the leap. And before anyone replies to try and talk me out of it, let me just say you can't. I currently live in Michigan, that probably explains enough about my reasons to move. I have lived in Florida previously for a number of years and have always wanted to live in the Keys. My wife and I along with our 7 year old son can't wait.

I would appreciate replies from people living in or have lived in or around Marathon. We currently own and operate a small building company.Which obiously is struggling. We are planning on starting a Handyman type business with a long term goal of starting a Building/Remodeling business. I am very handy and enjoy working on just about anything. We have enough resources to make it for six months or so. We also would try to find jobs but I'm sure with times being hard there isn't much out there. I would like to hear from anyone with advice on life and living in your beautiful city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 PM

515 posts, read 1,590,241 times
as you prolly know, houses are really expensive in the Keys. a shack might cost you $300,000. Then the insurance will kill you from what I've heard. But, go for it and see where it takes you. You could always retreat up the east or west coast and find a nice inexpensive place to live if it comes to that.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:36 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post
as you prolly know, houses are really expensive in the Keys. a shack might cost you $300,000. Then the insurance will kill you from what I've heard. But, go for it and see where it takes you. You could always retreat up the east or west coast and find a nice inexpensive place to live if it comes to that.
My nephew has a trailer in the keys. It was like $400.000 with the land. My sister in law lives in Key West. I am not even going to tell you what it cost her. There is no work there. Maybe you can get a job working in a restaurant or something. The Keys are a resort area. You can't live there without money.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:11 PM

569 posts, read 1,669,034 times
I cannot believe yet another person with dreams of coming to Florida with no job. Look at some of the other threads on this subject. There are no jobs here with close to 1 million unemployed. The Keys never had any jobs. It is all tourism and far from everything. Florida is no better off than Michigan and many people are actually moving back there because the cost of living is double here. If I had a dime for everyone that move to Florida to be a handyman or remodeler we would all be super rich. They are everywhere. The construction and building industry here is in shambles at best. Florida is the last place I would move to unless you don't mind earning minimum wage at a restaurant in the Keys the rest of your life. You might want to try Texas instead. They are still doing a lot of building there and it is growing rather than declining like Florida.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:27 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
I cannot believe yet another person with dreams of coming to Florida with no job. Look at some of the other threads on this subject. There are no jobs here with close to 1 million unemployed. The Keys never had any jobs. It is all tourism and far from everything. Florida is no better off than Michigan and many people are actually moving back there because the cost of living is double here. If I had a dime for everyone that move to Florida to be a handyman or remodeler we would all be super rich. They are everywhere. The construction and building industry here is in shambles at best. Florida is the last place I would move to unless you don't mind earning minimum wage at a restaurant in the Keys the rest of your life. You might want to try Texas instead. They are still doing a lot of building there and it is growing rather than declining like Florida.
I don't think people get it. It is nice if you have money. If you come here without money and will be dependent on finding a job you will not find one. They have job fairs and like 3000 people show up. Put an ad in the paper with a job a you may get 200 apply for the one opening. This is not a pro or anti Florida comment. Just what is going on here. It would be foolinsh to move here without a job waiting for you, or a family here you knew you could depend on for some support till you got on your feet. In the 70's it was different. There was so much work you applied for a job in your work clothes because they wanted you to start right away. Those days are long gone. Even places like boat yards are laying off. They used to be immune because they deal with a rich clientele but even the rich are cutting back.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:12 AM

11 posts, read 46,091 times
The Florida Job market is CRAZY!!! you will see a job posted and then its gone by the end of the day! the reason is because that area has some of the highest unemployment rates in the country.

Good luck to you but I would certainly try to have some sort of income squared away before you move there. If it was just you Id say best of luck but since you have a kid Id be a little more calculating.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:45 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
I wouldn't move here with kids and no job. If you do decide to do it, pick some other part of the state besides the Keys. The Keys are for visiting.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:07 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
Apparently the OP chose San Diego instead.

moving family to san diego

Old 06-07-2009, 01:23 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Apparently the OP chose San Diego instead.

moving family to san diego
Well I'm glad that's settled.

Last edited by stars99; 06-07-2009 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 07:26 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Don't you all know, the dreamers are paid in sunshine! I get tired of these positive thinkers coming here to go broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida