U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 9,774 times

Advertisements

Hey,
Im wondering if anyone can help with any info how to get a job in teaching and coaching(sport) in florida.

I lve in London(UK) but would really wanna go and work in Florida for a couple of years.

Please if anyone can help..would really appreacite it.

Many Thanks
Ari
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 01:07 PM

42 posts, read 201,153 times
The job market is very bad right now in Florida. There is a lot of competition for available positions. Most Coaching positions are not tied to a teaching position so the more you are certified to teach the better of a chance you will have. Many of the jobs posted will only have one teaching spot open.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:57 PM

807 posts, read 2,826,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficak View Post
Hey,
Im wondering if anyone can help with any info how to get a job in teaching and coaching(sport) in florida.

I lve in London(UK) but would really wanna go and work in Florida for a couple of years.

Please if anyone can help..would really appreacite it.

Many Thanks
Ari
Hi Ari,

What age group and what sports are you focusing on? (high school soccer?) Teaching certification is of course required with the background check and so on. Coaching high school sports only pays as a 'supplement' to a teaching salary so it isn't much at all.

Many youth soccer clubs are looking for 'professionals' to bring their program to a higher level of play and will offer a salary + expenses for that expertise. The American game is improving!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:32 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,435,121 times
Ari:

In the United States you need to be certified to teach in publicly funded schools. You do not need to be certified to teach in private schools but most will ask for qualifications beyond just wanting to teach.

You also need a green card to work here. You can't just get on a plane, come to FL and get a job. It's not that easy, especially in a school. Please find out the requirements for citizens of the UK to work in the US before you get on a plane.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:49 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,967,323 times
When I applied to the school district, I had to give them my Social Security card and my FLORIDA Driver's License. You need those two documents. Then I had to sign a sworn statement stating that I would uphold the Constitution of the United States and the State of Florida. I was also fingerprinted.

This is required for all school employees, not just teachers.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:08 PM

973 posts, read 1,489,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluey29 View Post
The job market is very bad right now in Florida. There is a lot of competition for available positions. Most Coaching positions are not tied to a teaching position so the more you are certified to teach the better of a chance you will have. Many of the jobs posted will only have one teaching spot open.
Yes there is a lot of competition as positions keep getting cut as my school lost 16 teachers last June, my son being one of them ; but from what I know, many positions ARE tied to coaching as so many older teachers no longer want to do it. And we all know that coaching esp. in football is often placed above that of teaching in many schools. At my school, they couldn't find someone to coach boys soccer at the beginning of the year and I don't even know if they found one! But I digress.

Many others answered what I was going to say as well; and even if you do have a teaching degree, not sure is reciprocal here in this state.

BUT good luck to you!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or