Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 04:59 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post
Case and point right here. Here you have a transplant that seems irritated and disgruntled because FL does speak the way you do, has different trees, and different pace of life, from the so called "real thing". It's the same ole "not like back home" mentality that gives you a bad rap. The sooner you realize FL is different, and always will be, the better off you will be.
including one who lasted all of 4 months in Naples, "All I see are OLD PEOPLE". I told her so and not to move here. She actually is worse (if possible) than me with the heat, but then as a toddler in diapers, she walked around up North say, "HOT, HOT, HOT" in the summer.

Not everybody is cut out for this place.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:04 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default Nobody in NY or NJ says "caaa" either

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Well we from western MA do NOT talk like Bostonians, no accent at all. I could care less how it is done enywhere in fact. Actually people from Eastern MA make fun of us out in western MA, and call us hillbillies, rednecks, etc. Florida is Florida and I have grown to "adapt" to how it is here, I still remained true to myself a yankee, Florida was never "home".
although personally, I like the Bostonian accent.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 PM

109 posts, read 439,951 times
Man, I am not even going to the last post to see if it gets any better. I could not find a connection to the original post? I can not really reply as I have not gone through all the posts but I can say if there is a distinct differance from North to South, it is the rudeness and contempt northern (east coast) shows towards locals. This is somewhat of a paradox as how many of these same people never come in contact with a real native. I guess I am human and have to say, coming from CHICAGO originally, New York people would not know a good piece of Italian Sausage if it bit them in the ass. When you say "Pizza" you say "Chicago". I visited my wife's relatives on Long Island and went to New York City, never attempt to compare this with "Chi-Town" now you got me doing it, getting off the subject. guess it get's back to a cultural thing or even a terrtoral thing, people get defensive and get chips on their shoulders because of lack of communication. Yeah, us Haysides up north may be laid back and you rednecks maybe opinionate and you east coast people may be defensive but if you would all back off, get around the campfire, crack open a few "long neck" Buds and just enjoy the moment, you would find, yes , we all have differant lifestyles but f you break it down to it's simplest form over a "Bud", we have more in common than not.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:05 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
I have friends from all over the place, north, south, east, west. Not a single complaint about eachother, no dislikes, etc. It's a couple of our CD members who have something stuck up there somewhere. My ex boss is from Chicago, and his wife the St. Louis area, both great people, I have friends from NY, Philly area, REAL Floridians, GA, TX, NH(who are rumored to dislike MA residents) and never once a mention of how they do not like one from another... Instead of complaining about fellow AMERICANS, worry about terrorists... People who really threaten our lifestyles, safety, etc.... And politicians!!!!!

Old 07-25-2010, 06:50 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,309 times
^^^Reps! Ditto!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:29 PM

109 posts, read 439,951 times
I guess this is almost like a "Racial Thing", I like "PEOPLE", what I do not like is radicals. Like I am Polish but have to admit there are alot of people that act like dumb Pollacks, There are black people and then there is a segment that is bitter and racial and vice/verse for whites. This northern/ southern thing is similar but it is differant to this extent. Many most East Coast people have a little bit of a chip on their shoulders. It would be no differant if they moved to a country area in the Midwest, they would feel a litttle superior, now this does not happen often as why would a person move from New York to Wisconsin. I guess that if for some reason our climate was what provided this influx, we would have the same problem Florida has. As a Midwest Northern who moved to Florida, I was somewhat taken back by the "New York" mentality but honestly it is not that they are that big of jerks, they just are not used to a slower more open relationship but on the other hand there are a number of Native Floridians that have capalitized on this situation and this keeps the "Ball Rolling". I have found , once people get passed all the bull**** and drop the walls, they find the only people with a North/ South problem are the users from both sides. The regular people adapt and find they are not a whole lot differant.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
It amazes me that people anywhere would single out a group of people for a certain reason and dislike them. Hating New Yorkers just for being from New York is the same as hating black people simply for being black. It's just ignorant.

If only people weren't so rooted in the whole "only natives deserve to live here" idea.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:33 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
It amazes me that people anywhere would single out a group of people for a certain reason and dislike them. Hating New Yorkers just for being from New York is the same as hating black people simply for being black. It's just ignorant.

If only people weren't so rooted in the whole "only natives deserve to live here" idea.
Amen!!! Rep given!!!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 PM

15 posts, read 58,712 times
only 10% of floridians are born here, so if someone has an attitude it is probably not a native/ seriously most people here are moving from another state and just as happy to meet someone who is also new to the state/ our problem is that as a newcomer many of us become hypersensitive, that is the human condition.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:57 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queen elizabeth3 View Post
only 10% of floridians are born here, so if someone has an attitude it is probably not a native/ seriously most people here are moving from another state and just as happy to meet someone who is also new to the state/ our problem is that as a newcomer many of us become hypersensitive, that is the human condition.
Do you enjoy making up numbers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida