Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times

Advertisements

You know what DC2Tampa - I understand your frustration. I just know that he is a nice guy, so when talking to him I'm trying to be objective and put myself in his place when he explains something. I am going to begrudgingly admit that I feel a lot of what he feels toward foreigners, at least from my area. I ask myself "WHERE THE HELL DID HE/SHE GET THEIR LICENSE". I could go on and on, but I wont.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:50 AM

448 posts, read 1,470,556 times
Is it worse with the snow birds? We have been in Florida during the early spring and notice some of the retired people should not be driving, at all!
But, I see it here in OH too.
Everytime I hear my Mom drove to Wal-mart or to her hair appointment, I freak out. It really concerns me.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:54 AM

263 posts, read 574,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Okay, so then the only bad drivers in Florida are from out of state? I have to tell you that I have been driving in NY my whole adult life and while I gladly admit we have a bunch of idiots behind the wheel - A LOT FROM OTHER COUNTRIES - not using the turn signal is not a problem that I usually encounter - lol - for what ever reason people cut you off, but they have to be polite enough to use that signal - LOL

Pooring - own your share of bad drivers, its okay, no body will think less of you for that. Oh and I complain a lot too - I lived in MD for 5 years and absolutely loved it. It really has been hard for me to make the adjustment back to NY and I'm back 16 years 15 of those years have been with my DH, so I'm glad that I did come back, I have him and my 2 boys to show for it.
Chelsa, no, I would never say there are no bad drivers that are natives. Bad drivers come from anywhere. I am just saying in my travels, when someone does something very stupid or rude, I have found that many of the times they are from NY or Latin America. This is my observation though.

And Chelsa, I agree with you. Many of the times they are foreigners. I have seen Hispanics in our area park in a turn lane to put on makeup or text message. I have never seen anyone other than Hispanics do this. I am telling you what I saw, so guys, give up on the race card please. I am sure others do it too, I am telling you what I saw.

Last edited by Pooring Footers; 02-25-2009 at 12:06 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2Tampa View Post
I've never seen a gated subdivision that has one-way streets. Are you sure you don't live on a NASCAR racetrack? Maybe the guy was just drafting you and trying to pass you on the inside.

Seriously, next time; 1) if someone's tailgating you, use your turn signal and let him know you're about to turn. 2) If it's a one way street like you say, leave room for the other person to pass on the opposite side, not the turning side... and signal. 3) Stop generalizing and stereotyping based on your "observations" because you come across as an ignorant fool and a hypocrite. 4) Get therapy for your personal problems and issues because judging by all of your previous posts, you seem like a pretty miserable and tormented person. 5) Be more tolerant of others and they'll be more tolerant toward you.

Someone shouldnt be passing anyhow. It's a 20mph zone, so if someone were going 20, someone would be breaking the law and speeding to pass him/her. Plus, with all the kids playing, why would anyone do such thing anyhow? This is not about this person being from NJ, it's about safety. In a subdivision, I dont think you should pass anyone because you want to save yourself a few seconds and get home a few seconds early. That is what is so frustrating.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:24 PM

910 posts, read 2,330,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2Tampa View Post
I've never seen a gated subdivision that has one-way streets. Are you sure you don't live on a NASCAR racetrack? Maybe the guy was just drafting you and trying to pass you on the inside.

Seriously, next time; 1) if someone's tailgating you, use your turn signal and let him know you're about to turn. 2) If it's a one way street like you say, leave room for the other person to pass on the opposite side, not the turning side... and signal. 3) Stop generalizing and stereotyping based on your "observations" because you come across as an ignorant fool and a hypocrite. 4) Get therapy for your personal problems and issues because judging by all of your previous posts, you seem like a pretty miserable and tormented person. 5) Be more tolerant of others and they'll be more tolerant toward you.
Well, all I can say is my wife and I try and be law abiding, courteous drivers, use turn signals, etc., and even by doing so we get cursed out be discourteous drivers.

We get beeped for letting a kid cross the street on a school zone.

We get beeped for going too slow, even though we're in the right lane already, letting speeders pass on the left.

We get tailed when we're going 75 mph in a 65 mph speed limit, and if we go 80-85, they still push our tail.

You can say there are bad drivers anywhere, and I lived in California as well is Illinois and New Jersey, and the driving is consistently bad down here in FL, because of some of the transplants from NJ/NY.

I've visited long enough in the Northwest such as Seattle to notice that the drivers are more courteous there than FL. FL has a bad seed of drivers, a lot of them from the Northeast, a lot of them from South FL, and a lot of them from Cuba and PR. I'm just stating what I observed and what I personally experienced. These people have no concept of courteous driving whatsover.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Well, all I can say is my wife and I try and be law abiding, courteous drivers, use turn signals, etc., and even by doing so we get cursed out be discourteous drivers.

We get beeped for letting a kid cross the street on a school zone.

We get beeped for going too slow, even though we're in the right lane already, letting speeders pass on the left.

We get tailed when we're going 75 mph in a 65 mph speed limit, and if we go 80-85, they still push our tail.

You can say there are bad drivers anywhere, and I lived in California as well is Illinois and New Jersey, and the driving is consistently bad down here in FL, because of some of the transplants from NJ/NY.

I've visited long enough in the Northwest such as Seattle to notice that the drivers are more courteous there than FL. FL has a bad seed of drivers, a lot of them from the Northeast, a lot of them from South FL, and a lot of them from Cuba and PR. I'm just stating what I observed and what I personally experienced. These people have no concept of courteous driving whatsover.

Thank you. This is what I have been saying all along and getting ridiculed for. I have said the exact same thing is what you have written ngrome. I observe the exact same thing! For you all that think I am the jerk for reporting what I see, dont give me crap because of what I have observed. I cant help what they do and how they act. Dont shoot the messenger guys! Good grief!

I hate when people honk when you let someone cross the road. Here we are being nice and we get the middle finger and cursed at, for doing the right thing. I am a good driver and very courteous as well.

I wouldnt be bickering if it werent an issue! I encounter more inconsiderate and rude drivers in FL in one year than I did my entire time in NC. Honest to God. I am a FL native, and I want things to change in FL, but they are not. So instead of dealing with it or sweeping it under the rug, I am choosing to move out of FL.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:42 PM

I got ya - the car is not an appropriate place to put make-up on at all.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I got ya - the car is not an appropriate place to put make-up on at all.
Chelsa, they were parked in the turning lane for crying out loud!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:52 PM

Yes, that would make me crazy - I don't have that experience as much with hispanics, much more with Asians and Indians - here. It isn't much with make-up, it is just simply not knowing how to drive period. Very, very, very frustrating!

Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 PM

831 posts, read 2,436,710 times
I had to chime in. I understand Poors frustration, but to classify and entire state because of one person is where I believe your getting the greef from. I am from NJ and to be honest I was never involved in an accident until I moved here. It wasn't my fault. I found people in Florida don't use their turn signals at all they just go from lane to lane. And god forbid they put down their cell phones for 5 minutes. Its againt the law to be on a cell phone while driving in NJ you will get a ticket. What this person did to you wasn't right. I do believe though that each state has their own set of rules so maybe people should be given a little quiz before given the license in a new state. For Instance, In NJ you can't park near a fire hydrant, Florida you can. In NJ when in an accident you must stay put, Florida its get out of the way. Florida is very strict on Pedestrian crossings, NJ is just starting with this its not state wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida