U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 12:39 PM

7,686 posts, read 16,121,603 times

Advertisements

If you're looking inland up by the Alabama border, costs get more reasonable. But if you're up by the Alabama border and don't have to worry about schools, you might as well just buy in Alabama because housing and taxes are even lower on that side of the state line. And Pensacola is a little cheaper than Ft. Walton Beach/Panama City/Tallahassee, but again, if you're thinking Pensacola, then Baldwin County, AL is probably going to be even cheaper than that.

The note with those numbers is that the $200K median-priced home isn't going to be as nice as you'd get for that much in Ft. Meyers or Punta Gorda, but it will be in a reasonably safe and pleasant middle class neighborhood. It's not like bigger metro areas where you have to spend a lot more than the average in order to find a place you'd actually want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:59 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,716,999 times
Housing in Tallahassee has come down since a couple of years ago. I'd venture that you can get good homes in the 150 - 175k range now.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:07 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,716,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Houston View Post
I cam across a website yesterday that tells you some of the bad things in Florida.. badthingsaboutflorida.com

Hope it helps!!
Wow. Just when I thought that this place had the monopoly on the bizarre and functionally ignorant, I made the bad decision to visit the website you posted, to be greeted by this tid-bit of "badthingsaboutflorida":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your website

Florida is the devil's playground and i wish i would've never moved down here. In six years i have had my inheritence from my dead mother taken from me by her own sister, relatives turning their backs on me for no reason, forced to raise a child on my own when ALL OF MY FAMILY lives down the street from me, friends who i thought were my friends act like total fools. My daughter's daycare provider turn lesbian and i have to hear about the fights they have... the girl gave her a black eye!! And she gets mad at me for saying something about it. Was in a relationship for four years to have him leave me because i wanted our relationship to go somewhere and he didn't... what the hell is wrong with these people they are so so so so ...... . I am in hell............

Carry on folks! As for me, I'm going to enjoy the beautiful weather today. Followed maybe by a nap in the hammock beneath the coconut palm....

Old 10-05-2009, 06:11 AM

15,213 posts, read 31,183,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Wow. Just when I thought that this place had the monopoly on the bizarre and functionally ignorant, I made the bad decision to visit the website you posted, to be greeted by this tid-bit of "badthingsaboutflorida":

Carry on folks! As for me, I'm going to enjoy the beautiful weather today. Followed maybe by a nap in the hammock beneath the coconut palm....
I didn't visit the website that the troll is promoting - reading comments here is enough. All I have to say about it is anyone who sets up or posts on a website such as that is seriously lacking in gray matter!

Old 12-13-2009, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 10,032 times
south dakota has cheap housing 50 -80 thousand homes not to bad the down side is cool as hell for 6 months need advice a low cost living in south florida on the west coast area like arcada county anyone have and good advice travis

Old 01-03-2010, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 12,122 times
Been in Orlando, FL for 20 yrs now and to be honest i never thought this place turn like this, first too many people here,no jobs, no help, too expensive (rent, food, utilities etc) this was a nice place to live but not anymore too much crime. The only good thing i will say is the theme parks thats about it. If you have money yes this is a great place to be you can find a good neigborhood to live. BUT if you are a student or single parent sorry to tell you, you will need 2 jobs to make it (but there is no jobs) at this moment my husband and i are unemploy looking for a job for over 6 months now. we are looking to move to another state. 10 yrs ago this place was the best.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 7,494 times
I am so frustrated because my girlfriend wants me to move to Florida. I went there twice and I realized it is not a good place to people who want a career with a better pay. I have a MBA I imagine how I will find a Job in this state. Most people over there are jobless and do not have education as people in East Coast especially in New York.The weather is so crazy, hot with a lot of humidities.The funny thing, I was taking a shower and while being in the tub I was sweating.As I said and most people have been saying the same thing. Florida is a retiree state it is not dedicated for people who seek jobs.In resume, do not move to Florida if you are not strong financially.

Thanks,

William Pascal Exilus

Old 01-05-2010, 06:05 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,632,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williampascal View Post
I am so frustrated because my girlfriend wants me to move to Florida. I went there twice and I realized it is not a good place to people who want a career with a better pay. I have a MBA I imagine how I will find a Job in this state. Most people over there are jobless and do not have education as people in East Coast especially in New York.The weather is so crazy, hot with a lot of humidities.The funny thing, I was taking a shower and while being in the tub I was sweating.As I said and most people have been saying the same thing. Florida is a retiree state it is not dedicated for people who seek jobs.In resume, do not move to Florida if you are not strong financially.

Thanks,

William Pascal Exilus
Moderator cut: Flaming Do you really think that the only people who live a comfortable, financially secure, upper income lifestyle in Florida are drug dealers or professional athletes? Think again. You just have to put away your "I'm better than you dumb hicks" NY attitude, and you'll find a good job that pays proportionately to the cost of living what a NYC job would.

You went there twice and you make a judgement based on what? That's like going to NYC twice and saying it's a ghetto filled with nothing but crack whores and crazy taxi cabs.

By the way--that MBA? You and the rest of the world anymore. It's nothing special unless it's from Wharton, Harvard, or Yale.

Last edited by doggiebus; 02-26-2010 at 08:02 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 7,140 times
I'm wondering the same thing, my roommate and I are both 20 and are thinking of spending either May-August or May-December in Florida (preferably somewhere within 2 hours of Gainesville). We currently pay 1600$ for our 2 bdrm/1 bath apartment in Glen Ridge, NJ. Any suggestions as to a town where we are somewhat near a beach (within 2 hours) and rent is affordable?

Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 PM

191 posts, read 566,896 times
Depends what affordable is to you? I live in nj and 1600 is alot lol.. In florida panhandle or even south florida you can rent somthin 600 or so... Jobs im not sure.. I know jobs are bad everywhere but you just need 1 job and if you wanna make it work where your at you will.. You can complain and gice people advice on what they need to do but people will take care of themselves.. If it's not all you thought it was you can always move back to your paradise..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or