U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 08:12 PM

10 posts, read 30,263 times

Advertisements

[quote=2tired2move;23379604][quote=backtofla;485822]first of all, no offense to poster, but this is another post you have to take with a grain of salt, because, once again, someone wants to categorize THE ENTIRE STATE OF FLA.

to say to raise a family elsewhere is rediculous. the state of fla is big. not every city is like miami.

2. traffic. yes, the entire state of fla is crowded with way too much traffic (no, not really). have you ever considered the fact that 75% of floridians live on just 25% of the land??? do you think the rest of the state is really that crowded where 75% of us dont live??? are you trying to say there is not one small town in fla???

------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi.
Just wanted to point out that most Floridians only live in parts of the state and not the inland parts because most of the inland parts are swamps and extremely hard to live in. Not all of the inland areas, but most of it. There are the small highland areas like around Bartow and Lake Wales, and the northern areas, which don't have the wonderful warm temps.
2tired2move
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:59 PM

7 posts, read 22,229 times
Default Lots of Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsforchrist View Post
I am thinking of moving to Florida this summer and would like your opinion of the best place to live and work?
Florida is a much larger and more diverse state than most people realize.It would be impossible to make a suggestion without having a little more information about likes, dislikes preferences,budgets and requirements.
My family has lived in Florida for over ten genereations,in nearly every area,all of which are very different.
Jacksonville is nothing like Tampa (except they are both on the water)Pensacola and St Augustine might as well be in two different countries. The same could be said of Daytona and Boca Raton.Miami and Orlando are worlds apart and Key West is not like anwhere in Florida,or anywhere else for that matter. There are many other towns have distinct personalities; Ocala,Ft Lauderdale,Sarasota, Tallahassee and Sebastian to name a few. So, you will need to be little more specific than just "Florida",it's a very unusual place.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:15 PM

10,263 posts, read 10,320,695 times
http://cheapestplacestolive.blogspot.fr/2012/03/are-there-cheap-places-to-live-in.html

Old 03-23-2012, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 8,329 times
I am a mother of 3 and my husband is thinking of moving to FLa if his job offer goes through and would like to know ...where is the best place to live in Fla

Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 8,317 times
We are also thinking of moving to florida, I have two children 9 and 6. We've looked at pensacola, venice and sarasota. I like my privacy, i dont like crime (who does); we are moving from Kansas, completely tired of living in hill billy land, nothing to do, nothing to see.... before that we lived in California in the high desert mountains, loved it but again, not much to do, not much to see, didnt want to get eaten by the resident bears and lions. Any feedback would be welcomed.
P.S. I notice the houses seem to be fairly decently priced, we are looking around the $120K area....alot are short sale, should I be weary of this kinds of houses? are they probably in high rental areas?

Old 03-23-2012, 09:55 PM

128 posts, read 408,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
You want to live in Florida? Start out somewhere else, then retire in Florida. Or better yet, stay in a state with better pay and less expenses, save up and come to Florida for vacation. I live 200 feet from the ocean and have not been boating in years. You'll spend your life working or inside with air conditioning. Last time I went to the beach and swam I was 10 years old. If you MUST live in Florida go inland. Stay away from refugee infested areas or you'll never have a decent career.
a floridian's analysis. thumbs up tallrick.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamike10 View Post
Let me tell you guys something right now. I lived in Tampa for a few years and decided I wanted to move down there. I lived there for exactly one year because I was locked into a lease. I wanted to leave after 2 or 3 weeks!

Lets recognize Miami for what it is. Miami has an amazing beach. Miami has beautiful blue water. Aside from that, it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. The problem was, once you settle into normal life, you don't get to go to the beach that much. What are you left with then?

You are left with the rudest people in the United States. Period.

The people in Miami (and Broward County too) are so nasty. I am not a violent person, yet I wanted to fight someone about once a week. You will get treated like sh*t at every gas station, grocery store, walgreens, mcdonalds, blockbuster video, 7-11, and on and on. Every other place I've lived, if you treat a customer that way you get fired. Not in South FL though........and as a result I blew my top numerous times.

Here is something else you might find interesting. The Cubanos love to call people "Americans" with a nasty tone. Its like people calling black people you know what. They have no respect for this country that saved them from the slum they escaped from. They also think all other Hispanics are beneath them and don't belong in "their city". I got a newsflash for the Cubanos and Cubanitas reading this: if you were born in Miami you are American too! You're just as American as I am so suck an exhaust pipe.

Lets consider one last thing. If Miami is the center of the Universe like the Latins want to believe it is, how come no corporations want any headquarters or presence there? You have Carnival Cruise Lines..........and Bacardi Rum. If Miami is so big and important, where are the other corporate headquarters? No company wants to have anything to do with that cesspool. They know what it is.

Watch and see the responses I get. That is all you'll need to see what kind of people you'll be living among if you choose South Florida. The day I moved away from that cesspool was one of the 5 happiest days of my life.

If you move to Miami or Broward county you probably won't like it. Everyone I met there who wasn't born and raised there, or from some dictator ruled island, hated it and couldn't wait to leave. Watch the Miami people say I'm a redneck and I belong in a backwoods area. LOL. That is their answer for any "American" who doesn't like their tropical cesspool of hate and rudeness. Compared to other places in the US that have culture and dignified people, South FL is the backwoods if you ask me. Most people from Miami have never been to a real city though, so they'll never figure that out.

I hope you won't have to learn the hard way.
unfortunately, this is true of SOUTH FLORIDA.

Last edited by Old Skool Florida; 03-23-2012 at 10:38 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

Most expensive single family by median sales price:

1. Ft. Lauderdale (188K)
2. Ft. Walton Beach (183K)
3. West Palm Beach (180K)
4. Miami (176K)
5. Tallahassee (168K)

Least expensive single family by median sales price:

1. Ocala (73K)
2. Punta Gorda (98K)
3. Lakeland-Winter Haven (103K)
4. Daytona Beach (105K)
5. Melbourne-Palm Bay (107K)
#1 IS BOLDED. why? because how is ft. lauderdale so expensive when it's 75% islanders? have u been to FLL lately? i dont get it how all these poor islanders can live here when middle class people work the butts off to live there.

care to tell me that ? anyone ?

Last edited by Old Skool Florida; 03-23-2012 at 10:51 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 PM

like tampamike10 i did the same exact thing. i relocated to SO FLORIDA about 1 year ago. and what he said is the way i feel now. and i feel upset because i dropped big $ to move here. now i have to do a 360 and relocate again. not sure where. maybe jupiter or north. jaywalking in broward is insane and police dont enforce it. the cesspool of people here has created a non sense of community. a new friend i met from oklahoma, his beetle's battery was dead, he even had cables and nobody would give him a jump. took him 48 minutes and finally somone offered to raise their hood for his cables.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 PM

44 posts, read 121,936 times
Living inland has positives...lower cost of housing, taxes & we're not as subjected to the hurricanes as coastal areas. We live 55-60 miles inland from Daytona Beach Shores & 1.5 hrs. North of Orlando, 2 from Tampa. Plus, Ocala is "HORSE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD"! We have horse farms with beautiful rolling hills-unlike most Florida scenery, it's green. Ocala is what I call a "little big town". A big city is NOT something I enjoy because I very much dislike traffic. I agree that South Florida's language might as well be Spanish. We have friends that moved here from S.FL. after a life-time of being in the Keys, the language barrier being main reason. Lots of the coastal cities, like Naples are very expensive. FL has job problems, most jobs right in Ocala are "service jobs" - not the best pay, etc. The humidity is great, lol. We're in lock-down in the a/c from about May-Oct. The rest of the year is our reward-great weather while Northern states are snowed-in. So, same difference, we're inside during the hot weather. You pick. I want the mountains, but we're here for awhile, a house that's upside-down in what it's worth...much like the rest of the nation. (sigh)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or