U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,920 times

Advertisements

I do not understand why people always have to make reference about Spanish people. Spanish people are not the only ones who may or may not speak English. There are good and bad in all nationalities and there are people who are educated and not educated. I think people are very overwhelmed with all the talks about the borders and Mexicans that they think that every Spainsh person is Mexican. There is so much diversity in the Spanish people that one needs to really understand that. Many years ago this country picked on the Black people, then the Puerto Ricans, now they have grouped everyone together and lost the sense of knowing the difference between a Puerto Rican, Mexican, Cuban, and South/Central Americans. Since they can't pick on Black people anymore .......now they pick on Spanish people. There are lots of hard working Spanish people in this country and they do things right in every sense of the word. They teach their children manners, they go to church, they work, they go to school and work, they learn the English language, they pay their taxes, and they go through the process and pay money to a lawyer to become citizens of the United States of America. However, that is not what you hear in the news. The media feeds people negative things 24 hours a day, so people start to lash out at Spanish people.........Oh Not To Mention They Also Have Faught In Wars To Defend This Country and (so have Black people faught for the rights of this country!)
Yes, there are those who do not speak English (but there are other nationalities they do not speak English either) Yes, there those who are nasty, rude, and uneducated (but there are other nationalities that are nasty, rude, and uneducated too. You see if there were a perfect nationality or person on this earth well then Jesus would not have died cause there were no reason for the sacrafice.....cause there is perfection! The truth is that Jesus died for all of us cause there is not ONE SINGLE NATIONALITY OR PERSON THAT IS PERFECT!!!!!!!!! God bless those who are against Spanish people!

Last edited by forgetaboutitman; 07-15-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,779 times
Default shocked

I recently visited Fla. in July 2012 and was thinking of retiring there in 4yrs but the heat and the lack of
Appealing places that I could afford is detouring me and how many times can you go to city walk or Disney
It seem that during the day the heat is unbearable to even go out side and we were unable to find a community with a decent school district any ideas?????

Old 08-08-2012, 10:05 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,512,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetaboutitman View Post
I do not understand why people always have to make reference about Spanish people. Spanish people are not the only ones who may or may not speak English. There are good and bad in all nationalities and there are people who are educated and not educated. I think people are very overwhelmed with all the talks about the borders and Mexicans that they think that every Spainsh person is Mexican. There is so much diversity in the Spanish people that one needs to really understand that. Many years ago this country picked on the Black people, then the Puerto Ricans, now they have grouped everyone together and lost the sense of knowing the difference between a Puerto Rican, Mexican, Cuban, and South/Central Americans. Since they can't pick on Black people anymore .......now they pick on Spanish people. There are lots of hard working Spanish people in this country and they do things right in every sense of the word. They teach their children manners, they go to church, they work, they go to school and work, they learn the English language, they pay their taxes, and they go through the process and pay money to a lawyer to become citizens of the United States of America. However, that is not what you hear in the news. The media feeds people negative things 24 hours a day, so people start to lash out at Spanish people.........Oh Not To Mention They Also Have Faught In Wars To Defend This Country and (so have Black people faught for the rights of this country!)
Yes, there are those who do not speak English (but there are other nationalities they do not speak English either) Yes, there those who are nasty, rude, and uneducated (but there are other nationalities that are nasty, rude, and uneducated too. You see if there were a perfect nationality or person on this earth well then Jesus would not have died cause there were no reason for the sacrafice.....cause there is perfection! The truth is that Jesus died for all of us cause there is not ONE SINGLE NATIONALITY OR PERSON THAT IS PERFECT!!!!!!!!! God bless those who are against Spanish people!
So, I take it from your posting that your post is directed towards white people. For what it's worth, I live in a border state and we deal with MUCH more illegal people then you could even imagine. People generally don't have any problems with latino people. What many people have problems with are illegals that come to our country, suck our economy dry by applying for and getting healthcare, food stamps, wic, housing vouchers, and tanf cash benefits. Not to mention free educations. My son has a white 8x10 paper on the front door of his school claiming that it costs $5,200 per student, per year, to educate our children. Do you know how many millions of illegal children are in this country ?

Add in the fact that many people will employ an illegal alien and pay them under the table for pennies on the dollar and not only are they taking away jobs that legal Americans could be doing in a time when our true unemployment is around 20%, but they're sucking our tax dollars down a black hole and we're suffering for it.

I know, work with, and go to school with MANY legal mexican people and black people and they don't like illegals either. I also wanted to add, for what it's worth, white people aren't the only one's in the world who are racist, I, again, know many latino's that hate black people and vice-versa, so give it a rest.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:44 PM

37 posts, read 71,218 times
Talking Another needs advice!!!!

..... My longtime g/f (Nicole) has a job transfer lined up for Thanksgiving this year. Myself I am a 29yr old male, who currently works at a machine shop in Ohio as a Supervisor for the past 7 years and will be receiving my personal trainers certificate.

Nicole, has the option to choose out of 5 different locations in Florida. Our options are:
1. Miami
2. Lake Mary (Orlando)
3. Tampa
4. Jacksonville
5. Ft. Myers

Can anyone please give me some advice on the best place to move regarding what we are looking for and myself being able to find work. Obviously, my employment is top priority!!!

Things we are looking for:
1. Employment (myself)
2. Safety (less crime)
3. Politeness
4. Biking, Walking, dog trails
5. Restaurants & activities for ealry 30's crowd (We are not into the club scene, but do like to have a drink and socialize on occassion)
6. Distance to the beach.

That is the order of importance to the both of us, any info would be highly appreciated and thank anyone in advance for taking time to advise me.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 PM

4 posts, read 5,525 times
Default Where to live

Just wondering where a nice temporary place to live would be..My girlfriend, four month old and I are moving to Florida to visit her family, but were staying until January.. They live in Coral Springs, I'd like to stay within an hour drive or so.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,500 times
I moved to Fla in '96 with my family when I was just a kid. I didn't care much for it at that point, but I met and married my husband here, and very shortly after, moved to Alabama, where we lived for 6 years. Florida may be my "home", but Alabama will always be my heart. Life is easier, a bit slower paced, people there actually know how to be friendly. Granted, you won't find the attractions there, but I know people who were born and raised in Fla who will tell you they have never once set foot anywhere near the famous attraction of Fla, mostly because they're too expensive. My hubby and I honey-mooned at one of the Disney resorts (let me add that we married in the middle of Hurricane Wilma). My hubby decided to check out what the liquer store in the resort had to offer a couple of newly-weds. He came back with a handful of the sampler-sized bottles of liquer, and ONE 20oz Coke. He spent $10 on the liquer, and $2.50 on the Coke out of a vending machine! If you can find the jobs that pay here, go for it, but good luck. Come, visit, take an extended vacation, but I'm telling you, STAY AWAY FROM FLORIDA RESEDENCY!!!!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 AM

4,816 posts, read 5,362,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizHarvy View Post
I moved to Fla in '96 with my family when I was just a kid. I didn't care much for it at that point, but I met and married my husband here, and very shortly after, moved to Alabama, where we lived for 6 years. Florida may be my "home", but Alabama will always be my heart. Life is easier, a bit slower paced, people there actually know how to be friendly. Granted, you won't find the attractions there, but I know people who were born and raised in Fla who will tell you they have never once set foot anywhere near the famous attraction of Fla, mostly because they're too expensive. My hubby and I honey-mooned at one of the Disney resorts (let me add that we married in the middle of Hurricane Wilma). My hubby decided to check out what the liquer store in the resort had to offer a couple of newly-weds. He came back with a handful of the sampler-sized bottles of liquer, and ONE 20oz Coke. He spent $10 on the liquer, and $2.50 on the Coke out of a vending machine! If you can find the jobs that pay here, go for it, but good luck. Come, visit, take an extended vacation, but I'm telling you, STAY AWAY FROM FLORIDA RESEDENCY!!!!

Agreed! This is a VERY EXPENSIVE state.
Be prepared to spend AT LEAST $1,300/month for a no frills apartment in an ok area.

I'm not lying when I say I hear people gasp at the prices in the grocery stores.
From what I former New Yorkers tell me.. the cost of living here is little better than NYC, but not much.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 AM

4,816 posts, read 5,362,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg535353 View Post
..... My longtime g/f (Nicole) has a job transfer lined up for Thanksgiving this year. Myself I am a 29yr old male, who currently works at a machine shop in Ohio as a Supervisor for the past 7 years and will be receiving my personal trainers certificate.

Nicole, has the option to choose out of 5 different locations in Florida. Our options are:
1. Miami
2. Lake Mary (Orlando)
3. Tampa
4. Jacksonville
5. Ft. Myers

Can anyone please give me some advice on the best place to move regarding what we are looking for and myself being able to find work. Obviously, my employment is top priority!!!

Things we are looking for:
1. Employment (myself)
2. Safety (less crime)
3. Politeness
4. Biking, Walking, dog trails
5. Restaurants & activities for ealry 30's crowd (We are not into the club scene, but do like to have a drink and socialize on occassion)
6. Distance to the beach.

That is the order of importance to the both of us, any info would be highly appreciated and thank anyone in advance for taking time to advise me.
Unfortunately, personal trainers (as well as realtors) are a dime a dozen in Florida.
Check out indeed.com and craigslist for jobs. You'll see most jobs pay $10/hr. If you're a great in sales and can take a commision based job, you'll find a lot of them. Florida is known for low wage jobs.
It's also not really known for "politeness". As I'm sure you're aware, it's very populated and fast paced.
Out of the areas you list, I think your best option would be to further investigate the Lake Mary area.
With the economy as it is, I would strongly suggest you look into another state, but either way best of luck to you!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:12 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsforchrist View Post
I am thinking of moving to Florida this summer and would like your opinion of the best place to live and work?
Its been 5 years since you posted, how did that move to Florida work out?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 AM

17 posts, read 28,961 times
lmao.... I was just thinking that this is one hell of a long thread...... I live in Gainesville by the way... originally from Cali, and then twenty three years in Washington State, near Seattle.... I hate it here... too hot, too flat, too expensive to move down south (my sister pays 1300 and month for a two bedroom..... any cheaper than that and she would be in a ghetto) but at least there is some form of entertainment down south.... the beach, and night life that is not revolving around Collage students or the Gators, If it was not for family, and a married daughter I would pack my bags and move back to the west coast.... Daughter and her husband have "got out" and moved to Nashville..... I am VERY soon to follow... cant wait to get out of this freaking state..... !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or