U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,690 times

Advertisements

How much is health insurance go for in Florida? In Minnesota they have a government health ins plan for the poor, so our rates seem to be double what Wisconsin is. For a family of 4 through my husbands work and a $500 deductible with blue cross, we pay $750/month. That's like paying rent. Our auto insurance is double Wisconsin's too because it is a no fault state. We have played with the idea of moving out of Minnesota because we're sick of freezing to death, and being taxed to death. 6 months of the year the weather is crap. The heat-I keep my house at 80 in the summer and I love it. I am freezing at 70. But there are good paying tech jobs and housing is average priced and good schools. What city would be good for tech jobs, beach, culture, I would love to own a few acres or so as well not just a little lot in a burb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 AM

26 posts, read 30,948 times
At my employer based in St. Petersburg, FL, the health insurance for a family is almost $500 per paycheck! Ridiculously expensive and that comes with a $4000 deductible.

Take into consideration that pay rates for tech jobs here are below the national average. Housing is really affordable though. You will not worry about snow but you'll have a lawn to mow (which may be easier to deal with).

Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 AM

2,869 posts, read 6,408,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asfagew View Post
How much is health insurance go for in Florida? In Minnesota they have a government health ins plan for the poor, so our rates seem to be double what Wisconsin is. For a family of 4 through my husbands work and a $500 deductible with blue cross, we pay $750/month. That's like paying rent. Our auto insurance is double Wisconsin's too because it is a no fault state. We have played with the idea of moving out of Minnesota because we're sick of freezing to death, and being taxed to death. 6 months of the year the weather is crap. The heat-I keep my house at 80 in the summer and I love it. I am freezing at 70. But there are good paying tech jobs and housing is average priced and good schools. What city would be good for tech jobs, beach, culture, I would love to own a few acres or so as well not just a little lot in a burb.
I think that health insurance is high.

Auto insurance can be high especially around the metro areas. Florida is a no-fault state.

Home insurance will be MUCH higher.

I don't know of a city that meets your criteria.

Florida is a service based economy-not many tech jobs. Payscales are lower in every field.

Schools are not at the same standards as the NE or MW.

You sound frustrated.

The weather benefit only goes so far here. If you are serious about moving, start with finding a job.

It all starts with employment.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 PM

4,817 posts, read 5,371,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
The weather benefit only goes so far here. If you are serious about moving, start with finding a job.

It all starts with employment.
Well said!

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,419 times
I am trying to find nice place to raise my kids and start my family in well being area. So we are focusing on moving back to florida! I can't wait I wish I were there now! I live in ohio now and it sucks! I think its just a "hometown thing."

Old 01-22-2013, 04:05 PM
TD*

1,518 posts, read 3,130,929 times
Tallahassee is always nice.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 PM

437 posts, read 495,033 times
Ok so I've been reading alot of these posts and and I'm beginning to get discouraged about wanting to move to Fl. I currently live in northern ohio and am completely done with the cold winters! It's just too depressing for me and as much as I would love to live in Cali I just can't do it right now. So I was planning on first getting a recruiter and looking for a job in the Tampa area. I am currently in IT making about $50k/year with a bachelors degree and certifications and 8 years of experience. I'm also 30 years old, single and no kids. I am addicted to sunshine, beaches and just warm weather period! Do you think I would be able to find an IT job in that area that pays that much and still be able to find an affordable and safe place to live? I was looking into either the Brandon, Brandenton or Clearwater area. Please give me some hope!!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:19 AM

2,869 posts, read 6,408,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
Ok so I've been reading alot of these posts and and I'm beginning to get discouraged about wanting to move to Fl. I currently live in northern ohio and am completely done with the cold winters! It's just too depressing for me and as much as I would love to live in Cali I just can't do it right now. So I was planning on first getting a recruiter and looking for a job in the Tampa area. I am currently in IT making about $50k/year with a bachelors degree and certifications and 8 years of experience. I'm also 30 years old, single and no kids. I am addicted to sunshine, beaches and just warm weather period! Do you think I would be able to find an IT job in that area that pays that much and still be able to find an affordable and safe place to live? I was looking into either the Brandon, Brandenton or Clearwater area. Please give me some hope!!
Ask in the Tampa forum.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,517 times
I was born in Miami and have lived here 42 of my 48 years. If you have lots of money, Miami and specifically Coral Gables or Pinecrest is a great place to live. Be ready to pay big, between $10K - $30K per year per child because the schools are terrible. Also, if you have lots of money, you can drive a BMW or Mercedes to keep up with everyone else and afford the $100 you'll need to have a nice dinner. If you don't speak Spanish, I don't, it could be difficult finding a job. Just do a job search, most want you to be bilingual. Lots of things to do and opportunities for kids activities, but your kids will definitely grow up in a very materialist attitude environment. If you dont have lots of $$$ I wouldnt move here, it will be way too expensive to live and you'll be depressed watching all the rich people live nicely while you struggle to pay high insurance, property taxes,and high cost of housing. Ft. Lauderdale is the same as Miami. I also lived in Tallahassee for 3 years and loved the medium size town that had enough to do, especially with festival and activities in the towns right outside of Tally. It's still got a little bit of southern charm left to it and is a great place to raise a family. If you like football, you will love going to the FSU football games, lots of fun and great tailgating! The rolling hills and oaks are beautiful and you get enough of the change of seasons to feel like Christmas is not summertime like in south Florida. I absolutely loved living in Tally, wished I would had raised my kids there. Cost of insurance and taxes very reasonable. I lived in the Keys for 2 years. If you have a boat and the money to put gas and maintain it, as well as you must like to drink, you will love the Keys. Otherwise, there is nothing else to do but boat and drink down there. My son lives in Orlando and living 20 or 30 minutes out has lots of nice areas, though still a bit expensive but not like Miami. My daughter lives in Tampa, South Tampa, and its beautiful and she loves it. I haven't lived there, but while visiting it looks like a great place to live. My overall suggestion, live north of Orlando.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,517 times
In the post above, I meant to say the public schools are terrible and you will want to send your kids to private school in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or