U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 09:30 AM

586 posts, read 1,036,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
half-back isn't really a derogatory term, it just means you are from ny, moved to fla, and not moving half way back, wherever that may be.

i have heard the name a lot of times when i lived in nc. nc is full of 'em.
I guess we are one of them, born and raised in NYC moved to Ft Lauderdale in late 70's (talk about change) moved back to NYC because we were homesick, (wasn't the same) so we moved back to Ft Lauderdale in 84 and lived and raised our 2 kids there, after hurricane Wilma in 2005 insurance went crazy, we decided to get out again for many reasons and now living near Raleigh, NC since '07 our daughter is still down in Fl, our son is back in NYC, so...... I am going through rough times now missing our kids though they are adults and living their lives, but I still miss them terribly don't get to see nearly enough! Also NC is not what I thought it would be, especially when you are in a semi rural area 20 miles from Raleigh! (Another bad choice we made) It's like living in Ft Lauderdale back in 1978. So, I admit I did not do enough homework before we choose to move here, yes it's great having a break from 8 months of heat and humidity that we experienced in So Florida, but without family or good friends in spite of trying hard to make friends it can be a very boring place to live, just my opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 12:02 AM

Location: Nashville, TN - Willing to move where the jobs for my hubs are.
37 posts, read 38,309 times
What or rather where would Chicago-Florida and New York-Florida be? Love the comparison.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:08 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,512,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnthrgal View Post
What or rather where would Chicago-Florida and New York-Florida be? Love the comparison.
Chicago-Florida = Tampa/St. Pete metro.
New York-Florida = Southeast Florida, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Palm Beach, ect, ect.

Basically, the I-75 corridor feeds from the midwest, and the I-95 corridor feeds from the northeast.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:19 PM

17 posts, read 24,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I think Florida "works" if you are a working professional or if you have a bit of a nest egg...you know...something to get you started. It also helps if either you have no children, or your children are older (like out of high school). But if you are not a homeowner....and you don't have the kind of income to become a homeowner (so basically if you make < $50K/year) than it's tough. Not only tough....but the quality of living is rough.

Last year, I was laid off. I do not live the life where I have a big savings; my savings is just to buy "big stuff" (like furniture or something). The social services and programs offered here in South Florida were completely inadequate. Unemployment paid out $250/wk (took 6 weeks for the payments to begin) and that was like....my rent money and nothing else. I would gladly pay a state income tax if the social services and public education infrastructure could be improved.

Whatever! I just finished my 60-odd weeks of UEC in Alabama where I drew $165 a week after working my job for 18 years. If it weren't for some other programs (HHA, WIA) I would have already lost my house. Now that the 165 a week is gone and still no jobs here I am headed to FL myself (as soon as I decide WHERE in FL). PLUS I paid Alabama state taxes all this time.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So with a topic 6 years old and close to 300 posts was there ever a consensus as to where the best place to live for work and affordable housing is actually located.?

After spending all day reading it, I would have to say NO. But we did get some nice racist ramblings and a definitive concensus on the sand being better on the gulf side (also YES, OK sunsets=gulf and sunrises=ocean, or the opposite, I dont really give a crap....).

I was able to infer that:

ocean side = MORE liberal, diverse, dense, jobs, spanish, cost of living (tied to jobs - duh), New Yorkers.

gulf side = MORE redneck, white, rural, laid-back, better sand, cheaper everything, no jobs, Chicagoans.

also the further south you go the more gays (with and without aids) and higher rent.

Word! Peace. -p/.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbohannon View Post
After spending all day reading it, I would have to say NO. But we did get some nice racist ramblings and a definitive concensus on the sand being better on the gulf side (also YES, OK sunsets=gulf and sunrises=ocean, or the opposite, I dont really give a crap....).

I was able to infer that:

ocean side = MORE liberal, diverse, dense, jobs, spanish, cost of living (tied to jobs - duh), New Yorkers.

gulf side = MORE redneck, white, rural, laid-back, better sand, cheaper everything, no jobs, Chicagoans.

also the further south you go the more gays (with and without aids) and higher rent.

Word! Peace. -p/.
Is that to infer that a Conservative must be a "redneck?"

Old 07-09-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
So, I take it from your posting that your post is directed towards white people. For what it's worth, I live in a border state and we deal with MUCH more illegal people then you could even imagine. People generally don't have any problems with latino people. What many people have problems with are illegals that come to our country, suck our economy dry by applying for and getting healthcare, food stamps, wic, housing vouchers, and tanf cash benefits. Not to mention free educations. My son has a white 8x10 paper on the front door of his school claiming that it costs $5,200 per student, per year, to educate our children. Do you know how many millions of illegal children are in this country ?

Add in the fact that many people will employ an illegal alien and pay them under the table for pennies on the dollar and not only are they taking away jobs that legal Americans could be doing in a time when our true unemployment is around 20%, but they're sucking our tax dollars down a black hole and we're suffering for it.

I know, work with, and go to school with MANY legal mexican people and black people and they don't like illegals either. I also wanted to add, for what it's worth, white people aren't the only one's in the world who are racist, I, again, know many latino's that hate black people and vice-versa, so give it a rest.

And YET, I will bet you a MIL<LION DOLLARS that the last time you hired a contractor to fix your house or a lawn company to mow your yard and they showed up with a truckful of latinos YOU DIDNT DEMAND THAT THE FOREMAN SHOW YOU THEIR PAPERS, did you???? If everyone did this, then most of the illegal jobs would disappear. When it benefits you, illegals are fine. But when you want to play the role of defender of Amerika, you get on the high horse!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
And YET, I will bet you a MIL<LION DOLLARS that the last time you hired a contractor to fix your house or a lawn company to mow your yard and they showed up with a truckful of latinos YOU DIDNT DEMAND THAT THE FOREMAN SHOW YOU THEIR PAPERS, did you???? If everyone did this, then most of the illegal jobs would disappear. When it benefits you, illegals are fine. But when you want to play the role of defender of Amerika, you get on the high horse!
Nope, when I owned my home, I did the repairs myself. When it was time to mow the lawn, I did it myself.

I've never "benefited" from illegals and never plan to. Also, I get on the high horse very often when I go riding, it's a much better view.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Quote:
On the remodeling projects we've done, part of the discussion during bid and contracts stage involved our criteria that everyone on the job site was able to work legally in the United States. Since we've done our remodeling during and after the real estate bust, at that point most of the migrant unskilled labor that used to be in the area had moved on to work Katrina rebuilding at that point and the guys installing our floors and putting in new windows were rednecks with big Southern drawls. We racially profiled there a bit, and concluded that they were likely born in Dothan or De Funiak Springs and not in Guadalajara and just assumed they were legal then.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,045 times
Oh I love Florida! I try to go there as often as I can. I was there this winter from March to May and it was wonderful. I stay in a Gated community on a golf course. The people there are very nice. Of course there are a few mean ones in there. But what neighborhood does not have a few of them. The houses are kept up nice and look very pretty! I know you can buy a 2 bedroom with a den, 2 full bathrooms, kitchen, eating area, living room, main floor laundry, screened in porch, 3 stall garage, and yard for $97,900. I was looking at some of them myself when I was there. The roads were not bad where I was. I was about a hour to Daytona Beach and 45 minutes to Orlando. This is not bad for a nice quiet country side living. You just have to love horses, because the farms are everywhere. To me it does not even seem to be as bad as people say. You just have to look around. You can find what you are looking for in Florida. Florida has many life styles to chose from. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or