Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 PM

9 posts, read 366,552 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Florida this summer and would like your opinion of the best place to live and work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 11:23 PM

22 posts, read 796,161 times
It depends on how much you make? Do you have a wife or someone else to supplement an income? I ask because South Florida has become extremely expensive over the past few years.

If you want to buy a condo, your looking at $200,000 for a half way decent area. Want a townhouse; figure $280,000-$350,000. If you want a single family home, you better play for the Dolphins b/c they go for about $370,000 and up. The houses are expensive, but the property taxes and insurance are what kills you. I rent, so I dont have great figures, but I heard you can pay about $10K a year for both (someone else chime in if Im completely off, but I think thats about average).

Renting here is pretty pricy as well. I live in a relatively good and safe suburb of Ft lauderdale and my rent is $1400 a month for a 2/2.5 townhouse (not including cable, electricity). You can get a 1/1 apt. in my area for about $1,100. I know many places where you can find 1/1 apt's for $800-$900, but the area is not as safe.

The weather is great, except for the occasional hurricane.

There are a lot of jobs, but unfortunately people who are young and just entering the work force don't stand a chance on being able to afford the cost of living (unless they have a working spouse or live with parents).

There are a lot of nice places in Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties, and there are an equal amount of cess pools (like any metropolitan area) so do YOUR RESEARCH!!! A good way is visit the citie's POLICE DEPARTMENT'S website and see the current "news bulletins". If it's covered with shootings, burglaries and robberies, that should be a red flag. If the website stresses how to fill out an accident report....you do the math.

The trick is to do your homework.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:39 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsforchrist View Post
I am thinking of moving to Florida this summer and would like your opinion of the best place to live and work?

Youll need a 6 figure income to live a middle class life in south FL and high 5 figures for north FL. Jobs dont pay well and I cant even find a job to begin with. Houses, condos and rent is way too expensive and prices are going down. Me and everyone I know is leaving FL. Unless your rich, reconsider.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:54 PM

22 posts, read 796,161 times
Yeah, I'm one of the ones leaving within the next 12 months. I'd like to stay, but just can't do it. Live with increasing crime rate, awful public schools, and unaffordable housing...cant do it anymore.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:56 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikis View Post
Yeah, I'm one of the ones leaving within the next 12 months. I'd like to stay, but just can't do it. Live with increasing crime rate, awful public schools, and unaffordable housing...cant do it anymore.

I cant wait to leave FL myself! Too much crime, too expensive, hate the heat and hurricanes, etc, etc.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:41 AM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times
I wouldn't worry about rich. Florida isn't anywhere near California priced. If this were a Cali thread people might say you need to be rich (which isn't even totally true, there's cheaper areas of Cali too).

You do NOT need to be rich to live in Florida. North Florida/the panhandle are much cheaper then the rest of it.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:18 AM

523 posts, read 2,829,465 times
I live in Lakeland due to all the things you said. I discovered it 2 yrs ago after doing research on homes. I live in county of polk. My taxes are 17. while my neighbers in Hillsborough are paying 27. There is no traffic like Tampa, Beaches are 30 mins further but I got to beach only few times a year.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:09 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
You want to live in Florida? Start out somewhere else, then retire in Florida. Or better yet, stay in a state with better pay and less expenses, save up and come to Florida for vacation. I live 200 feet from the ocean and have not been boating in years. You'll spend your life working or inside with air conditioning. Last time I went to the beach and swam I was 10 years old. If you MUST live in Florida go inland. Stay away from refugee infested areas or you'll never have a decent career.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:36 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
There is one "best place" because everyone has a different idea of what's the best or what's even good. It's all subjective. When you read these messages and get the "best" it's just that person's version of the best.

For example, I don't like Tampa or Orlando but I love the Daytona Beach area. So for me the Daytona area is the best. But someone else will find Tampa or Orlando to be the best.

It's what's best for you.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:27 PM

18 posts, read 382,583 times
Default Left After 25 Years

My husband is a native of FL and I lived there for 25 years and am thankful everyday that we finally got out. If you want to raise a family you should consider another state. There is way to much traffic, no road systems to speak of, very angry drivers everywhere and good luck getting someone to speak English to you if you are south of Orlando. Sure FL is good if you like 100 degree weather and humidity all the time. We moved to OH for 1 1/2 years and now live in central MO and love the people, traffic, weather, etc. I haven't had one person shot me a bird since I left FL or try to run me off the road because I was doing 65 in a 50 and they were doing 90. People are very edgy and they show their frustration on the road. We have visited FL 6 times since we moved to take our son to Disney and have decided that we will never be able to live there again. Our property taxes are 1/5th of what they were in FL and our insurance if 1/4th of FL. Do yourself a favor and take an extended vacation and drive the roads during your working hours. I think you might decide FL is not what is once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida