Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 04:51 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveALot View Post
My husband is a native of FL and I lived there for 25 years and am thankful everyday that we finally got out. If you want to raise a family you should consider another state. There is way to much traffic, no road systems to speak of, very angry drivers everywhere and good luck getting someone to speak English to you if you are south of Orlando. Sure FL is good if you like 100 degree weather and humidity all the time. We moved to OH for 1 1/2 years and now live in central MO and love the people, traffic, weather, etc. I haven't had one person shot me a bird since I left FL or try to run me off the road because I was doing 65 in a 50 and they were doing 90. People are very edgy and they show their frustration on the road. We have visited FL 6 times since we moved to take our son to Disney and have decided that we will never be able to live there again. Our property taxes are 1/5th of what they were in FL and our insurance if 1/4th of FL. Do yourself a favor and take an extended vacation and drive the roads during your working hours. I think you might decide FL is not what is once was.
first of all, no offense to poster, but this is another post you have to take with a grain of salt, because, once again, someone wants to categorize THE ENTIRE STATE OF FLA.

i can combat basically everything you just said, in an unbiased manner.

1. the poster above says to reconsider an entire state if you want to raise a family. i dont even know what to say. my wife and i are very good ppl as well as our families (most of which live here in fla). go up to nc (not picking on nc, just giving facts) where the most % of kids live with their grandparents because the parents could not take care of them, due to alcohol abuse, drug abouse, neglect. meth labs and drug abuse are rampant in rural western nc.

to say to raise a family elsewhere is rediculous. the state of fla is big. not every city is like miami.

2. traffic. yes, the entire state of fla is crowded with way too much traffic (no, not really). have you ever considered the fact that 75% of floridians live on just 25% of the land??? do you think the rest of the state is really that crowded where 75% of us dont live??? are you trying to say there is not one small town in fla???

3. angry drivers everywhere. although i disagree, i think in many areas, ppl do drive with no manners. i credit most of this, to the new yorkers and tons of others moving here and driving the way they are used to driving. it wasnt always like this...

4. a lot of spanish in fla? yes. just like cali and tx. but saying nobody speaks english south of orlando??? pretty far-fetched, dont you think??? fla's hispanic population is about 20% last time i checked. but for some reason, they seem to love south fla and orlando.

5. 100 degrees and humid all the time. humid all the time? no. humidity hasnt been high in 6 months or so. it is awesome here for 6 months out of the yr, warm for a few, and hot for a few (summer). it is just as hot other places in the u.s. as it is here in fla. you know why northerners/snowbirds dont move to northern fla? too cold in the winter.

6. i've never been off the road, and if i did, i'd shoot their tires out.

7. taxes and insurance costs are less in missouri? of course, you live in central missouri!!!

i am not bashing you in any way, movealot, just showing how things can be misinterpreted. everyone likes to exaggerate a little, but making sure ppl know what is true and what is a stretch...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 08:52 PM

39 posts, read 154,282 times
I live in NW Florida and it isn't too bad......yet. the condos are going up one right after the other. I'm a bartender and am currently in school. i live in a 2200 sq ft house by a Naval Air Station in a nice middle class neighborhood. i pay 1,000 a month rent (i got this deal through a co-worker who owns the house). similar properties in my neighborhood are renting for around 1300-1400 a month. It isnt bad if you dont mind a jet flying over your house a couple of times a day. insurance premiums have gone sky high and i dont think they will be dropping any time soon. as far as job opportunities go, i am fairly sure i will take a pay cut when i graduate if i were to stay in the same area (degree is in accounting). of course, i dont get any benefits with my current job so those may make up a little for the lack of compensation.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:04 PM

5 posts, read 89,740 times
I would suggest Tampa or Orlando. Forget South Florida because it is overcrowded, houses are expensive, schools are overcrowded, English is a second language (coming soon to Palm Beach county), no jobs and people are very unhappy and most are seeing a therapist as well as taking anxiety and depression medication. I preparing to leave ASAP. I came from the North and this has been a culture shock as the racist place in the U.S.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:48 AM

156 posts, read 721,638 times
I also agree with Backtofla. And,
Here in Nj we have crazy traffic, angry drivers, many spanish speaking people, heavy heat & high humidity in the summer, freezing temps in the winter, outrageous taxes and insurance AND horribly high car insurance, and all those other negatives, but , hey , we live in NJ and we pay for it. Just like the Floridians and Californians etc...are paying for it. Living in Missouri or Iowa or Ohio or some other middle american state is less ,of course, and no offense anyone, but you get what you pay for.
We have the beach, mountains, farms, the great stores, the museums, the highest ranked schools and colleges, the conveniences, exceptional medical facilities, but lousy weather for about 8months a year...it's all a trade off for what you value most.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:44 AM

18 posts, read 151,051 times
Default Northeast Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsforchrist View Post
I am thinking of moving to Florida this summer and would like your opinion of the best place to live and work?
Try looking in the northeast florida area. Jacksonville is the major metropolitan area. South there are places like Fleming Island with homes ranging from $250,000.00 to millions. North are small towns like Hilliard that have "A" rated schools (Elementary, Middle and High School). I own homes in both of these areas and would recommend either.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:08 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iriegirl View Post
I also agree with Backtofla. And,
Here in Nj we have crazy traffic, angry drivers, many spanish speaking people, heavy heat & high humidity in the summer, freezing temps in the winter, outrageous taxes and insurance AND horribly high car insurance, and all those other negatives, but , hey , we live in NJ and we pay for it. Just like the Floridians and Californians etc...are paying for it. Living in Missouri or Iowa or Ohio or some other middle american state is less ,of course, and no offense anyone, but you get what you pay for.
We have the beach, mountains, farms, the great stores, the museums, the highest ranked schools and colleges, the conveniences, exceptional medical facilities, but lousy weather for about 8months a year...it's all a trade off for what you value most.
Why do people from the far north move to the far south ? I just don't get it.
There are alot of areas in the south with a change of season and a two month winter. I find most of the heat calls to EMS are people that move here from north, Winter is great in south Florida but the summer is a killer. You can't stay in the water all the time. If the power is down and the A/C won't work people call 911. This is why Ga,Sc,Nc,and Tenn is filled with halfbacks, people that move to Florida and then move half back. Why not check an area like that first. You can still have the beach, mountains, farms, and a short 2 month winter with a very slight chance of snow.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:19 AM

66 posts, read 313,013 times
Default Which Florida?

Do you want to live in Havana-Florida or Disney-Florida, or New York-Florida, Chicago-Florida, or Alabama-Florida?
I live near Panama City (Alabama-Florida) and it is not like any other area. It's called the Redneck Rivera. It has wonderful beaches and forest lands. There is a lack of chain stores and "cultural" stuff. It's just a good place to live.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:21 PM

156 posts, read 721,638 times
Firemed,
I don't know why people from the far north move to the far south, but I don't feel like NJ is the far north. I don't want a 2 month winter and a change of season. I don't really want any more winter actually. I'm 52 and have lived in NJ for over 25 years. I want something different, and not in GA,SC,NC,or TN. Those states, though very nice I'm sure, do not appeal to me at all.
And I think calling people "halfbacks" is not a nice thing to do. IMHO, It's derogatory.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:16 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,063 times
Default If you want middle class neighborhood...

one would be Spring Hill, FL. Affluence, Boca Raton, Parkland, Wellington are a few. Depends what you like.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:13 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,528 times
half-back isn't really a derogatory term, it just means you are from ny, moved to fla, and not moving half way back, wherever that may be.

i have heard the name a lot of times when i lived in nc. nc is full of 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida