U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 8,060 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a single parent of two, I have a 16yr old and a 9 1/2 year old. My job is relocating our office to Florida. The new office will be somewhere between Boca and Fort Lauderdale. My children are into to sports and I am looking for a area that is safe, clean, diverse, and kid friendly. I make a decent salary but don't want to leave beyond my means. I have been looking at Boca, West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale. We are African-American and would prefer to live in an area that is racially diverse. I don't want my kids to be mistreated because of their skin color. That is a major reason we are leaving Maryland. I need an area that has a good elementary, middle, and high school. Right now my kids are in GT classes and my daughter attends the school of the arts. If anyone can give me some suggestions I would really apppreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 AM

158 posts, read 450,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocating in summer View Post
Hello,
I am a single parent of two, I have a 16yr old and a 9 1/2 year old. My job is relocating our office to Florida. The new office will be somewhere between Boca and Fort Lauderdale. My children are into to sports and I am looking for a area that is safe, clean, diverse, and kid friendly. I make a decent salary but don't want to leave beyond my means. I have been looking at Boca, West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale. We are African-American and would prefer to live in an area that is racially diverse. I don't want my kids to be mistreated because of their skin color. That is a major reason we are leaving Maryland. I need an area that has a good elementary, middle, and high school. Right now my kids are in GT classes and my daughter attends the school of the arts. If anyone can give me some suggestions I would really apppreciate it.
Just out of curiousity, what part of Maryland are you coming from? The MD suburbs of D.C. and the Baltimore region(though it is more segragated than the D.C. area) are about as diverse as it gets anywhere.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 AM

actually, I lived in NY for 35 years and they are the most diverse anywhere. I have never had a problem there, nor did my older children. I am coming from Baltimore County, MD

Old 02-26-2009, 11:44 AM

I've lived in Baltimore County(Towson & Parkville) as well and there is that feeling of segragation. However, Montgomery County(where I grew up) and for the most part PG, are extremely diverse and very well integrated. I also lived in NYC for year and a half and yeah, it's definitely the most diverse but I'd say suburban Maryland is right behind NYC, L.A. and San Francisco. I think the main difference between Baltimore and the D.C. area is the education and socio-economic levels, DC generally being more white collar...Bmore generally more blue collar.

I wouldn't recommend Boca if you're looking for diversity. Out of Boca, Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm I'd say you're probably better off in Ft. Lauderdale IMHO. Just don't expect it to be anything like NYC or DC though.

Last edited by DC2Tampa; 02-26-2009 at 01:14 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 12:03 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,007,325 times
Hello Relocating -I'm sorry to hear about your experience in Maryland. I live in NY and lived in Maryland (hagerstown) for some time as a kid. You are absolutely right about NY being the most diverse, but I would have thought DC wouldn't have been far off of that. There was a thread in the Fort Lauderdale Forum asking if there were any African American neighborhoods with great schools, safe areas, etc.. All the answers seemed to be no, but there were definitely places that were mixed. I'm hispanic and don't want to live in an all anything area. I guess being from NY, I like seeing different faces. Besides the real world is not all just one thing anyway. I am looking to relocate as well depending on the job situation. You are fortunate to be coming down with a job. I'm not sure that Boca will be your cup of tea, but I hear that West Boca's schools are excellent.

Coral Springs is really nice and seems to be a very good fit. The schools are very mixed and from what I could see everyone got along well. I have to be honest and tell you that most of my decisions of the places I would live in were based on the schools and less on who my neighbors were though. You will definitely here an ear full on Florida schools though. I think they are said to be some of the worst in the country. Again, I don't have experience with this, but will say that my niece goes to Floranada and is doing extremely well, but this school is not in any of the areas I spoke about.

I would definitely go to www.browardcountyschools.com - that will tell you a lot and it will tell you every school that received an A rating the year before. I have a whole spreadsheet on it. LOL - these are my kids, I can't play around with their education. If you'd like you can dm me and give me your personal email and I'll send you my spreadsheet. I only picked certain areas because in those areas the Schools performed consistently. I found SFL to be weird in that you will have a great elementary school, okay middle and then awful High School. I wanted to avoid that so I put this system together and narrowed my search down to Coral springs, parkland, davie, weston and cooper city - all of these areas had A schools from elementary thru High school. I think you might like any of these areas, but from what you have asked, I think Coral Springs is probably best suited for you. These cities are all in Broward. I don't know much about Boca or WPB so, I can't speak intelligently about those areas. Hopefully, someone can give you some advice on that. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 PM

DC2 please tell me what IMHO means - everyone uses this and I have no idea what it means. I'm sure once you tell me I will feel like a fool. :-)

Old 02-26-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
DC2 please tell me what IMHO means - everyone uses this and I have no idea what it means. I'm sure once you tell me I will feel like a fool. :-)
It's internet lingo... "IMHO" is an acronym for "In My Humble Opinion". You've probably seen "IMO" also which means "In My Opinion"

Old 02-26-2009, 01:18 PM

You know I thought it was that, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what the heck the "h" stood for. Now I know - thank you!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 AM

Smile Chelsa1072

i see you are from Woodside. I lived in Astoria for 10 years, then I bought a hose in St. Albans. Thanks for your advise. I am most interested in schools, However if the great schools are in an area my kids and I won't be safe or welcomed then I would prefer not to subject them to that. Both of them are in Gifted and Talented, Performing arts school now. So yes education is very important. I also would need an area that has good elem. mid, hs.. I sent you a friend request so i can see your spreadsheet. Again thanks for the information.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:46 AM

Hey relocating - i will try and send the sheet through this forum mail, but I'm not sure it will work, but anyway. All the areas I mentioned have A rated schools from elementary - high school, so that is a big plus. Your kids will not be unsafe in any of the areas I mentioned. Quite the opposite actually. Your situation must have been really bad in MD huh? People will tell you there is a lot of crime in Florida, but I believe it is petty rather than like random beatings or things of that nature. It is more like people breaking into your car and stuff, not that that is good, but far different from really dangerous crimes. Everywhere has that too, so you not completely sheltered, but that isn't the case anywhere in the world.

I still say look at Coral Springs it is a pretty mixed area and I think that it would be the best fit for you. Again good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or