Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 07:48 PM

3 posts, read 5,850 times

Advertisements

Hi my husband and I want to move to florida (we are from Ct.) in the near future and we are looking into Pinellas county. We have family in St. Petersburg (shore acres) and they love it! We are in our mid 30's, my husband is a Carpenter and we wonder about the job market there. We have heard so many mixed reviews about the different towns that we don't know where to start!! We are looking to buy a house between $200,000 - $250,000. I suppose we are middle class, we want to be somewhat close to the beach in a quiet town with young families. Any help would be greatly appreciated, we want to share the sun seeing we just dug out of a foot of snow today, we've had it!!! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 06:44 PM

Is Largo nice??

Old 03-04-2009, 06:58 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
It's a little further north, but check out Palm Harbor.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
With the national economy in such disarray, any secure job (one that provides a consistent paycheck) is proving to be a disappearing asset. No one will be able to tell you with any degree of certainty that a livable wage job will be available for your husband anywhere. There are significant numbers of unemployed construction workers throughout Florida being devastated financially through this economic downturn. You are moving from a state with a strong union presence to a right to work state that does not value your husband's talents. The challenge of finding a carpentry job in Florida today that will match anywhere near what he has earned in Connecticut will be a rare occurrence. As I see it, you can stay in Ct and earn a living while dealing with the snow, or move to Florida and have unlimited time to bask on the beach while occasionally working (if you can find a job) at wages bordering the minimum wage.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:50 PM

15 posts, read 41,123 times
FWIW, Shore Acres has problems with flooding. Many of the homes are built on stilts.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
With the national economy in such disarray, any secure job (one that provides a consistent paycheck) is proving to be a disappearing asset. No one will be able to tell you with any degree of certainty that a livable wage job will be available for your husband anywhere. There are significant numbers of unemployed construction workers throughout Florida being devastated financially through this economic downturn. You are moving from a state with a strong union presence to a right to work state that does not value your husband's talents. The challenge of finding a carpentry job in Florida today that will match anywhere near what he has earned in Connecticut will be a rare occurrence. As I see it, you can stay in Ct and earn a living while dealing with the snow, or move to Florida and have unlimited time to bask on the beach while occasionally working (if you can find a job) at wages bordering the minimum wage.

My husband never works up here, I'm sure the job situation is the same all over. He earns more through unemployment then he does working, the winter months kills us stalling job sites due to weather and production, I know Florida wouldn't be a quick fix, but the few jobs around at least would go all year. Bottom line is I think we are all struggling right now and all we want is to be happy, it's pretty tough to be up here. Thank you for the response.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:17 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Quote:
my husband is a Carpenter and we wonder about the job market there
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but the job market for construction and renovation type jobs is severely depressed right now and getting worse every day.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:09 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Retiredcoach is absolutely right.

I don't mean to sound harsh here; I'm trying to be helpful so here goes....

Your post contains the generic elements of many, many posts we get on this forum:

-Sick of the cold
-Need jobs that pay well. Don't have skills that are in demand. "Open to anything", "We are hard workers".
-Need housing in a low crime area
-Need good schools
-Close to the beach
-Need a "fresh start".
-No family for support in FL (this is the one area that doesn't apply to you).

The overall theme is it is better to be warm and miserable than cold and miserable.

Now for the reality (and you'll find posts that confirm this):

-Jobs, even in good times, pay poorly unless you have a special skillset. Two or three jobs are the norm. Ten dollars an hour becomes an outstanding wage. It's called the sunshine tax.
-Schools-Florida schools have a poor reputation. There are many, many posts here on this.
-Housing-This has come down drastically and this is the one good point, if you have a job.
-The beach. This is an individual thing but many find no time for the beach between working, kids, and all the other daily life chores.
-"Fresh start". People get mesmerized with the palm trees and weather, pack up and move with little or no preparation.

Florida is a nice place to live. Millions of people live here, but you have to be realistic. Life here is not like on the postcards.

Now, onto other ideas.

Would you lose unemployment if you came to FL?

What does your family do? Any job leads there? Can you stay with them?

Last edited by RMD3819; 03-06-2009 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 03-06-2009, 08:21 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Quote:
Two or three jobs are the norm.
LOL, no it is not.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,466 times
I would comb Pinellas County for foreclosures-we found one at the beach-ok houses for decent prices. Then I would pocket the rest to live on-there really is a dearth of jobs here-my electrician husband hasn't worked in over 4 months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida