Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:04 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,988 times

Advertisements

My mom ahs pretty bad sinus issues, and she has asthma/allergies all of that. Is Florida a good place to be if you are having issues like that? We were considering Tampa but I was just wondering if they usually got worse or seemed to clear up. Right now we are in Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:44 AM

33 posts, read 158,574 times
Depends on the kind of allergies I guess, live in Palm Coast, always had allergies but moved here from New England and allergies and sinus difficulties are almost year round and the worst I've ever had. Hubby had never had any respiratory problems until about a year after we moved here, now he's as bad as I. Went to an allergist, allergies, mine anyway are, mold, mildew, dust, certain types of pollen, (all of which are very prevalent here) and a few things that don't matter, ie. wool, animal dander, horses etc.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:39 AM

831 posts, read 2,437,680 times
Florida is mold capital due to the constant humidty. Right now something is blooming and I know my entire house is suffering.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:07 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
I can leave Ohio with a bad sinus infection, closed up ears, stuffy nose and once I am in Florida for a few hours I can breathe again.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:35 PM

197 posts, read 752,187 times
I have severe allergies in the Pacific NW and in desert areas. However, I do so much better in Florida, the Caribbean, and Hawaii.

Allergy testing indicated that my allergies are due to plants and trees. Therefore, it appears that tropical foliage doesn't affect me as much as sagebrush and fir trees. I have had problems while visiting Idaho, while my husband's sinuses clear up in Idaho.

Everyone is different. The only way you can tell is to go to the prospective destination to see how well you do. When I go on vacation, I always get a sinus infection when I return home to Washington.

iuki

Old 03-08-2009, 03:12 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,280 times
I was fine in NY and MA/NH-never had allergies. Here in January/February I am awful-headaches, sinus, sneezing. Friend is the same (he was from NJ) has to take Clariton here. My husband had worse allergies in MA (lilac.)

Old 03-08-2009, 04:24 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I can leave Ohio with a bad sinus infection, closed up ears, stuffy nose and once I am in Florida for a few hours I can breathe again.
I'm the same way!! I'm on zyrtec from the first green of spring 'til the first frost, if not longer, in Wisconsin, and when I'm in florida, nuttin' bothers me. I don't know what it is. Also, I was in New York City last May, didn't figure I'd need my allergy medicine, 'cuz there's no greenery anywhere around me, but after a couple days and constant eye redness, itching, etc. I started taking my zyrtec again, and it cleared up! Weird....I've never been tested so I don't know exactly what it is I'm allergic to, but cats and most dogs, and whatever greenery we have here, seem to set me off.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
My asthma and allergies are far worse in Florida than they were up north. I had allergy titer testing done, and everything I'm allergic to is down here. The doctor thinks that I probably had allergies to many northern things as well, but became desensitized to them. Hopefully that will happen to southern allergens over time.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:21 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
No problems for me in FL, but Texas was pretty bad.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:40 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
If I am AT sea or on the ocean then I hardly have a problem. I have asthma and can stop taking my medication if I am near or on the ocean.

However as the locals have told me there is always something blooming in Florida. AND as someone already mentioned Mold is a killer here because of the humidity. It really depends on what your allergic to.

I know when I drove to Texas for the holidays, I could feel my congestion getting better on the way there, except in Louisiana where it was AWFUL. The same thing on the way driving back, I got worse the closer I got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida