Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:29 PM

170 posts, read 285,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused and relocating View Post
I know alot of people in Miami-Dade and yes most are Cuban and I wouldn't say there full of brown smelly stuff but hard working. I myself live in Miami Dade and have a CUban background and do not consider myself ANY of the above. Alot of you know that Im trying to sell and move but I wouldnt say its because of the people in its entirity but the way of life here. However when you say that Miami dade is a Habanera Rebulic.......you are directly pointing the finger at one particular nationality and that isnt fair or nice and I do take offense.

I personally was not made to live in Miami lived 29 years up north and this HUGE change; weather, increase of lifestyle $$$ I can not adapt too. I will not fight/struggle for something I am not happy with but I do not blame one particular race, I do blame the "me" society and greediness that this place entails.
You are right....the "me, me, me" culture is truly the problem here....I hear ya! I'm not pointing the finger though....Cubans are the majority here though. Whatever it is, there's something *very* wrong with this city and the f**ked up attitudes of its people....people who only care about themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 08:34 PM

14 posts, read 93,001 times
LOL.. What about central FLORIDA? ...boricualandia..borelando....rican-hoochie....(used honda civic) regueton blasting mamaricans LOL....sooooo funnyyyyyy

Old 03-22-2007, 08:37 PM

942 posts, read 2,583,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
It's not the Cuban people, it is the language problem that drives most nuts. I can't tell you how bad it is. Just recently I was in the bank doing important stuff and I can not understand a word the guy is saying. I have to asking him to repeat himself and it was very embarrassing after a while. We did managed to struggle through what I was doing but you don't expect to walk into an American bank, Bank Atlantic was the bank and not be able to do business in a common language. I like shop in Cuban store that has interesting products and don't expect anyone to speak English but office Depot? It is the language, that's about it, that's what gets everybody nuts.
MacGuy, I have a funny story;

about two weeks ago my husband had taken off from work to drive me around because of my surgery and stuff. I had to go to my oncologist thats at the University of Miami at Jackson. Well we were on the Palmetto and he turns to me and says do you have any money on you for parking?? Not a cent I said. He gets off on 27th (I think its street) exit and starts driving down the road. We are in Little Havana by this time and I tell him stop at that bank, so I could go to take out money from the automated teller. I think it was a Wamu or BOA not sure. Well to say the least to atm's three people waiting at each machine. After waiting about half an hour its my turn. Eveyone else was saying in spanish that the machine wasnt working, I thought well maybe they dont have money in there accounts. Im going to try my luck. Mind you six people previously said it wasnt working. I get up there and have NO problem retreiving money. You know what the problem was the ATM's were only in english no spanish option. I went ALL the way to the car laughing.

My husband thought i was mean and I said it serves them well, they should learn english; we are in America.

I dont have a problem with people like at banks and shopping that have heavy accents. Where it bothers the hell out of me is in goverment jobs and positions. They should have some set standards on who represents the county and state and clearly knowing the english language should be one of them.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:33 AM

28 posts, read 151,980 times
its not just cubans, its the whole crowd of miami together. for the most part they are hard working people who are not criminals.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:10 AM

54 posts, read 329,851 times
i also am a cuban american, i however live in ny but most of my family is in miami. although i agree with a lot of whats being written about learning the language & me me me attitude i've got to say that most cubans are hard working family oriented people, a sign of that is that most of the businesses, homes, buildings, restaurants etc.. are owned and operated by cubans! if they were so "lazy" they would all be sitting at home waiting for their check to come in the mail. with that said, i would never move to miami-too many damn cubans!!!

Old 03-23-2007, 07:11 AM

489 posts, read 2,015,127 times
Default Couldn't have said it better myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can1 View Post
I came to South Florida (Palm Beach county). What a culture shock??? If you are lazy, lack ambition, ethics then this is your heaven. I've seen marriages, deaths, strokes working with this devils of all ethnicities. If you get a job they own you and let you know that there the only game in town. Good luck on finding a new job or being promote for your hard Everyone here is on Valium, Prozac or has a drinking problem. Thank God, I'm so done with this Satanic culture. I rather shovel snow and deal with the cold than deal with this paradise.

This is a valuable thread. It is truthful and insightful concerning S. FL. Most people think in general terms. They think all of Florida is the same. It isn't. We lived somewhere else in FL before coming to Ft. Myers, and we also thought it would be the same here as it was where we lived before. Not so! South Florida is its own animal. An entirely different world. I am glad that we experienced FL in another city prior to this one because if we had not, we, too, would be going back GLADLY to shovel snow and deal with the cold.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
This is true!

I lived in Orlando at first. I'm a small-town girl, so it wasn't for me. Still, I liked it. High crime but nice people.

Fort Myers is just plain weird. Not all of Florida, or most of this planet, is like that!

I don't think it was an immigrant problem, either. The place is just strange.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,394 times
you are racist and anoying... I dont think is fear for you guys to make fun of latinos in that way. Cubans come to this Country because they want to have a good life for their families. Americans dont know what is to be poor and to struggle. If you dont like the fact that Florida is full of Spanish speaking people, then move to England or to another state where you can only hear English. This Country is full of different people from different Countries, and they are all smarter than you because they are BILINGUAL. Get it together lady!!!!!!!!

QUOTE=confused and relocating;486611]MacGuy, I have a funny story;

about two weeks ago my husband had taken off from work to drive me around because of my surgery and stuff. I had to go to my oncologist thats at the University of Miami at Jackson. Well we were on the Palmetto and he turns to me and says do you have any money on you for parking?? Not a cent I said. He gets off on 27th (I think its street) exit and starts driving down the road. We are in Little Havana by this time and I tell him stop at that bank, so I could go to take out money from the automated teller. I think it was a Wamu or BOA not sure. Well to say the least to atm's three people waiting at each machine. After waiting about half an hour its my turn. Eveyone else was saying in spanish that the machine wasnt working, I thought well maybe they dont have money in there accounts. Im going to try my luck. Mind you six people previously said it wasnt working. I get up there and have NO problem retreiving money. You know what the problem was the ATM's were only in english no spanish option. I went ALL the way to the car laughing.

My husband thought i was mean and I said it serves them well, they should learn english; we are in America.

I dont have a problem with people like at banks and shopping that have heavy accents. Where it bothers the hell out of me is in goverment jobs and positions. They should have some set standards on who represents the county and state and clearly knowing the english language should be one of them.[/quote]

I feel proud of those who are Latinos, bilingual and,probably, have better jobs than you... working for the Goverment... that's the way to go

Where are you working? You probably have a "lame" job but where are those Latinos working? You said it... Goverment, Banks... ja,ja,ja,ja,ja,!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolee777 View Post
you are racist and anoying... I dont think is fear for you guys to make fun of latinos in that way. Cubans come to this Country because they want to have a good life for their families. Americans dont know what is to be poor and to struggle. If you dont like the fact that Florida is full of Spanish speaking people, then move to England or to another state where you can only hear English. This Country is full of different people from different Countries, and they are all smarter than you because they are BILINGUAL. Get it together lady!!!!!!!!

I dont have a problem with people like at banks and shopping that have heavy accents. Where it bothers the hell out of me is in goverment jobs and positions. They should have some set standards on who represents the county and state and clearly knowing the english language should be one of them.
[/quote]

Old 03-30-2007, 07:30 AM

942 posts, read 2,583,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolee777 View Post

[/quote]

Jolee, I am FAR from being racist!!! I am bilingual and yes come from Cuban decendancy...I speak spanish perfectly. I also know what it is to be poor, because at this point in my life I don't even consider myself middle class. For you to come on this post without even knowing me and say Im racist is obsurd. It was a funny story that I shared, that is true and I got a laugh from it....period. Also I am a very "fair" person.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:34 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Anytime you point out something truthful but "negative" people will call you racist. It's easier to hide behind that word than explain what life in Miami-Dade is really like. The reality is sad and depressing and offers no hope to those who are not already successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida