Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 10:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times

Advertisements

Fantastic, New Yorker. Thank you for posting that. Now I know why I like Florida, it's official language is English and that's the only language I ever plan to speak. Well, that's of course unless I move to another country. And by the way, welcome to the forum, New Yorker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 08:54 AM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelrocks View Post
I've found it's easy to do by necessity. It's more challenging to do it when you don't have to.

By the way, my Great Grandparents moved here from London. When they took care of me, they spoke English.

So, some people that migrated to America in the early 1900's actually spoke English! Not everybody had ancestors that spoke another language!
I did not know until I was a teenager that my Grandfather came from Norwich, England. I used to wonder why he talked "funny" and always referred to America as the COLONIES. lol Anway, it is not the same for immigrants coming from the British Isles. Apart from the same language (mostly!), the cultures are not so very far apart.

It was night and day with my Mom's Italian side of the family. My great grandfather, who came from Italy, learned VERY LITTLE English in his lifetime. He lived in a neighborhood with other Italians, Little Italy in NY. It still exists today where you can find Italian shops, restaurants, etc. Just like we still have Chinatown. My grandmother was born here and was bilingual. Yes, she kept all of the customs. Even my MOM was bilingual and defintely kept the customs of the "old country". Unfortunately, Mom didn't speak much Italian to ME, so I more or less lost the language. I consider that a real shame. FLAME ME as "Anti American"!! However, my Mom passed the customs down to me and I have tried to keep them with my children.

I see NOTHING wrong with any of this. After all, what is American "language" and customs? It is ENGLISH, as in the UNITED KINGDOM. I can remember a British friend of my Grandfather's once saying, "Sir, you are speaking MY native language."

Old 04-22-2007, 09:54 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I don't see what's so wrong about other people speaking their language in our country. I think they should make an effort to learn English, but it's fine if they speak their own language in conversations and in their homes. America is known for all these different languages and foreigners wanting to come here. I think we should be proud of that. We have all these different languages and cultures and it makes us unique.

I'm student teaching in NYC public schools right now, and will begin teaching in them next year. A few of the parents in the class only speak spanish, which there's nothing wrong with. I just hope they try to learn a little bit of English just so it's easier for us to communicate with them. But I will be brushing up on my spanish since there are so many spanish speaking people in the public schools (I took 2 spanish classes, so I know some,but I need to brush up on it more). I believe that if they try to learn some of our language, we should also try to learn some of theirs. That way, it's just easier to communicate.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:31 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't see what's so wrong about other people speaking their language in our country. I think they should make an effort to learn English, but it's fine if they speak their own language in conversations and in their homes. America is known for all these different languages and foreigners wanting to come here. I think we should be proud of that. We have all these different languages and cultures and it makes us unique.

I'm student teaching in NYC public schools right now, and will begin teaching in them next year. A few of the parents in the class only speak spanish, which there's nothing wrong with. I just hope they try to learn a little bit of English just so it's easier for us to communicate with them. But I will be brushing up on my spanish since there are so many spanish speaking people in the public schools (I took 2 spanish classes, so I know some,but I need to brush up on it more). I believe that if they try to learn some of our language, we should also try to learn some of theirs. That way, it's just easier to communicate.

people who only speak spanish, or any other foriegn language are commiting themselves to remain at the margins of society. the path to upward mobility is a command of the dominant language, in this country that is english.
you are actually doing those people a disservice by trying to speak spanish to them.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 11,533 times
I am a New York whom has come to Miami in pursuit of a higher education. Initially, I embraced the diversity of hispanic culture, the dance, the language, the beautiful people. For me it was a wonderful experience, while absorbing the sunshine. However, as much as I embrassed the culture, and even the language barrier, I was still treated like I was an outsider. In general, I don't ever have an issue with others speaking their native language, its beautiful. It however, becomes a great problem when trying to conduct business, or even when socializing amongst hispanic friends and even boyfriends. While I understand some spanish, I found it almost hurtful to hear individuals conduct lengthy conversations in spanish to one another right in front of me, completely leaving me absent the conversation, and did not feel that it was an issue to be doing so. While, yes I think it an advantage to be bilingual, and yes if I am in Miami, I should learn Spanish fluently in order to assimilate myself, but I find it very ignorant to assume that I should speak Spanish.

When my ancestors came over from Italy, they learned English right away, even though they lived in Italian ghettos. They could have remained ignorant, and remained living amongst their own people, but they learned English out of RESPECT. The children were not allowed to speak to their parents in Italian, in order to force both of them to be able to conduct themselves in English. Again I say it was in RESPECT, and also to improve their ability to advance in society. My ancestors didn't want to cut themselves off from the rest of the English speaking world, they didn't want to remain in a bubble, they wanted to embrace American life, afterall that's why they emigrated here.

Aside from the language barrier, which you learn to adjust, and try not to pass judgment upon those who speak English perfectly but prefer to speak in Spanish even though, at times it is very disrespectful to others. Almost a way of directly exluding you from any conversation intentionally. I also find, that while I have many good hispanic friends, and I use hispanic generally, because Miami is not just Cubans, there is an array of hispanic cultures here, each different in their own way. You cannot lump them together just because they are Spanish speaking, hispanic individuals are insulted by this. They do have a great amount of hostility against white people.

I am an open minded person, I couldn't have survived here as long as I have without being open minded, but the way I have been treated is unnecessary. They have made it very clear that my very pale skin, and blonde hair (even though their are plenty of hispanic with fair skin, and blonde hair) I will never be fully accepted. In fact, the treat me as though I am a second class citizen. I'm sure there will be those who argue that well know you see what it feels like to be a minority, while I embrace this experience, the hispanics in Miami don't know what it feels like to be a minority either. And as far as mistreating someone because of their cultural background because they have heard of disperate treatment is not right. It's ignorant.

I will also generalize Miami culture. Here, your life revolves around money, and how much you can gain from other people. The women here don't even respect themselves, as long as someone throws a set of keys to a BWM in their hands, lets them shop all day long, pay for upgrades on their breast implants, and hire a nanny to take care of their own children even though they don't work, they seem to forget the fact that 99% of the day they don't know where their husbands are. The women treat the men as financial gain, and the men treat the women as chattel. Cheating is rampid, and accepted. The people of Miami have lost touch. I know big city living is colder and tougher, but this culture has only marginally has to do with that. Loving thy neighbor only counts if they have something you want.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:23 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
There is nothing wrong with speaking the language or keeping customs from the country of our ancestors if we want to. There's nothing wrong with preferring to cook the foods that we grew up with because they are handed down to the generations. But the problem is, we all need to speak the same language in order to communicate. Since it's been English for the past 200 years, it shouldn't now be changed to everyone being required to learn Spanish or German or French just to appease the new immigrants. It's also respectful to have allegiance to the country you immigrate to and to respect their flag.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:07 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
u cannot survive in south florida without speaking spanish.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:12 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
[IMG=JSnFla]u cannot survive in south florida without speaking spanish.[/IMG]

I disagree. You can't survive in MIAMI without speaking Spanish. Even then, the secret is that a majority of people you find speaking Spanish ALSO speak English as well, just are rude about it!

Miami has many Brazilians (who speak Portuguese) and Europeans as well. As a matter of fact, Portuguese is becoming more prevalent down South, and I love when my Brazilian friend tells me stories of how Spanish people in Miami get mad when they try to speak Spanish to him and he doesn't know how!!

Old 04-22-2007, 12:15 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Exclamation Yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker18 View Post
I am a New York whom has come to Miami in pursuit of a higher education. Initially, I embraced the diversity of hispanic culture, the dance, the language, the beautiful people. For me it was a wonderful experience, while absorbing the sunshine. However, as much as I embrassed the culture, and even the language barrier, I was still treated like I was an outsider. In general, I don't ever have an issue with others speaking their native language, its beautiful. It however, becomes a great problem when trying to conduct business, or even when socializing amongst hispanic friends and even boyfriends. While I understand some spanish, I found it almost hurtful to hear individuals conduct lengthy conversations in spanish to one another right in front of me, completely leaving me absent the conversation, and did not feel that it was an issue to be doing so. While, yes I think it an advantage to be bilingual, and yes if I am in Miami, I should learn Spanish fluently in order to assimilate myself, but I find it very ignorant to assume that I should speak Spanish.

When my ancestors came over from Italy, they learned English right away, even though they lived in Italian ghettos. They could have remained ignorant, and remained living amongst their own people, but they learned English out of RESPECT. The children were not allowed to speak to their parents in Italian, in order to force both of them to be able to conduct themselves in English. Again I say it was in RESPECT, and also to improve their ability to advance in society. My ancestors didn't want to cut themselves off from the rest of the English speaking world, they didn't want to remain in a bubble, they wanted to embrace American life, afterall that's why they emigrated here.

Aside from the language barrier, which you learn to adjust, and try not to pass judgment upon those who speak English perfectly but prefer to speak in Spanish even though, at times it is very disrespectful to others. Almost a way of directly exluding you from any conversation intentionally. I also find, that while I have many good hispanic friends, and I use hispanic generally, because Miami is not just Cubans, there is an array of hispanic cultures here, each different in their own way. You cannot lump them together just because they are Spanish speaking, hispanic individuals are insulted by this. They do have a great amount of hostility against white people.

I am an open minded person, I couldn't have survived here as long as I have without being open minded, but the way I have been treated is unnecessary. They have made it very clear that my very pale skin, and blonde hair (even though their are plenty of hispanic with fair skin, and blonde hair) I will never be fully accepted. In fact, the treat me as though I am a second class citizen. I'm sure there will be those who argue that well know you see what it feels like to be a minority, while I embrace this experience, the hispanics in Miami don't know what it feels like to be a minority either. And as far as mistreating someone because of their cultural background because they have heard of disperate treatment is not right. It's ignorant.

I will also generalize Miami culture. Here, your life revolves around money, and how much you can gain from other people. The women here don't even respect themselves, as long as someone throws a set of keys to a BWM in their hands, lets them shop all day long, pay for upgrades on their breast implants, and hire a nanny to take care of their own children even though they don't work, they seem to forget the fact that 99% of the day they don't know where their husbands are. The women treat the men as financial gain, and the men treat the women as chattel. Cheating is rampid, and accepted. The people of Miami have lost touch. I know big city living is colder and tougher, but this culture has only marginally has to do with that. Loving thy neighbor only counts if they have something you want.
Good post. When I worked there I was flat out told by a friend that people resented me (Why?). She said I would fit in in Atlanta-like her other blond friend-

what is the point- I had no clue. I am pretty easygoing and never got involved with office politics. Doesnt matter, you are still an outsider if you are not from a certain area. Life is hard enough. Who needs to deal with that issue? My college Spanish helped me-lol.

sunny

Old 04-22-2007, 04:40 PM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker18 View Post

Well, my Italian ancestors didn't feel the way YOURS did, but then they CHOSE to live in the "ghetto", both for social and financial reasons. My Italian grandfather came here speaking the universal language - MONEY. He was NOT dirt poor. He could have lived anywhere he wanted. In fact, he BOUGHT the brownstone in Little Italy he lived in. He started a business at first among the Italian speaking people in his neighborhood, and then branched out when his sons became old enough to help. His sons were born here and bilingual. Actually, I am the first generation who is not bilingual. I was born in 1948. My great grandfather came here in 1874. My, my what "un-Americans". lol. I will not tell you HOW my great grandfather came to this country from Italy with all that money. PONDER that one, if your ancestors were Italian.

When I grew up in Manhattan in the 1950s and 1960s we had a very large percentage of Puerto Ricans. The signs everywhere were in Spanish. On the subways people were speaking Spanish everywhere. We had a bodega on every corner. Yes, in 1968 when I first voted, the ballots were in Spanish and English. I decided to learn Spanish in school. It was a great learning experience for me. I tried to listen to conversations. I tried to read the signs. Hell, once I even used what little Spanish I had learned to help a woman on the street who was mugged. I suppose to many of this board, FOREIGN LANGUAGES should not be taught in our school at all?????

All, I can say is that MY ancestors did not rush right out to learn English as soon as they could. It just accummulated with each passing generation, until with my children the Italian language of their ancestors is totally LOST. I consider that a DAMNED SHAME.

And as I said on another post, there is no such thing as the AMERICAN language. YOU are all speaking the language of a FOREIGN COUNTRY, ENGLAND. Without the British, America would not exist. Or are you all Native Americans??????? In such case, you WOULDN'T be speaking English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida