U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:45 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times

Advertisements

Sex Offenders & Florida - worst state?

I've heard that many times, a bad place for kids due to many sex offenders. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 02:49 PM

7,901 posts, read 8,893,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Sex Offenders & Florida - worst state?

I've heard that many times, a bad place for kids due to many sex offenders. Is that true?
No more true than anywhere else.

Also, Florida posts the names, addresses and photos of all sex offenders online, and even has a feature where you can type in your address and see if any are living within X radius of your house.

I think there is something to the phenomenon of undesirables drifting southward and winding up down here though. My office window overlooks a bus station off of US 27, so I see it first hand sometimes.

(Every now and then someone in the office will yell "bum fight" and they all run to my window to watch the action.)

Old 03-13-2009, 03:21 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,241,134 times
I think Strel has hit the nail on the head. Florida has sunshine laws that makes everything out in the open. Maybe other states publicize where their pedophiles and sex offenders live but I know Florida does.
I don't think there are more pedophiles in Florida, but we seem to take complaints seriously. In stead of sweeping them under the rug.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:54 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,932,473 times
I have posted before how some states will only put the top level sex offenders on their sites but I know Florida has them all online including the 17 yr olds that had sex with the 15 yr olds girlfriend and got arrested (not sure of the exact ages where it is illegal just guessing).
I know Florida is not great with the amount of sex crimes but there are many states that have more per capita.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:04 PM

436 posts, read 955,515 times
There is probably a reason why FL makes it so public (face it, FL has a problem with this issue), and you can look up the addresses of offenders in your area, like mentioned above.

I do believe FL has a major problem with sex offenders, and I have said it before and I know it was mentioned above, but FL seems to attract a lot of criminals and malcontents from other states. I dont think anyone can deny it.

So to answer the OP's question... are we the worst state? Per capita, I dont believe we are. Overall, do we have the most offenders? That's a good possibility, sadly. I know FL seems to have more high profile, missing children/abductions than any other state.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:13 PM

831 posts, read 2,146,844 times
I think you have to define sex offender into certain classes to be able to get accurate figures. For Instance in NJ if someone were caught relieving themself within 500 feet of a school zone and was convicted its a sex offender charge. Like Mike Peterson said maybe its a 17 yr old and 15 yr old. I don't personally care if the ones I mentioned above live by me but I do care about the real sick ones who are molesters.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:30 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,932,473 times
While Florida is not great in regards to sex offenses there are 19 states with a higher number of sex offenses per capita than Florida.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:43 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,116,434 times
Here's a link you can check your city out in any state for sex offenders.

National Sex Offender Registry

Old 03-13-2009, 10:40 PM

831 posts, read 2,146,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Here's a link you can check your city out in any state for sex offenders.

National Sex Offender Registry

Thanks for the link. I never saw this one before.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:40 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,205,740 times
It all has to do with income and poverty. Florida's median household income is 46K/year. Illinois is 55K/year. Massachusetts - 60k/year. Cost of living is WAY more in Florida than most states except NY and CA. Middle class folks are relegated to "D" schools and modular home neighborhoods. Education also sucks in Florida; this fosters a criminal atmosphere.

The lack of a middle class in much of Central/Northern Florida, as well as SE & West Florida festers the problem of trailer park sex offenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or