Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:53 AM

86 posts, read 421,846 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Pittsburgh area for all my life, that's 44 years...lol My son and I came down to vacation here and fell in love with it. My late mom said the same thing. we settled in here in Plant City, and I must say, I love it. Even though the start was a little rocky, things are starting to fall in place now.

I simply love to be able to look at the temperature on the mirror of my Tahoe and see 77 in January! I for one, hate shoveling snow, and that alone made the trip worthwhile. As for rude people, I haven't seen many. Most everyone i see smiles or says hello! I also agree with itsajourney when she says that its all about attitude. Don't listen to all the naysayers, I am glad I didn't!

Perhaps all the naysayers just wouldn't be happy anywhere. I dont go and bash Pittsburgh, I lived there all my life, but if someone asked me about it, I'd say go for it. I moved because me and cold just don't get along anymore, and I can say now that its been a great move, even with the self made hurdles that were involved. I don't think I will ever move anywhere else out of this state.

By the way, my ex-wife's parents live here, and they came from new York, and they love it here! They wont leave either, and are very happy in Brooksville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 10:00 AM

807 posts, read 3,173,725 times
After all of my out-of-state trips, I am now convinced that Florida is my utopia--I just need to find out exactly where in Florida that my be. I get the itch to check out places along the beach, because we did the theme park thing--now I just need to figure out if I'm wanting to do the beach thing.

Itsajourney,
I fell in love with these white, sugar sand beaches and just knew...This was "it"

Yep, it was cold in January (20's), but it didn't last long and I'm OK with that!

Old 03-15-2009, 10:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,813,124 times
When did you move to Florida?

We moved in the day taht Hurricane Frances hit. Welcome to Florida, LOL!

Where are you located?

Clermont

What do you like about living in Florida?

The weather, the local music scene, the small town feel with everything I need within a reasonable drive.

What advice do you give for those of us who want to move to Florida, because if you moved their and like it, you must have made some great decisions along the way.

Do not come here thinking it will be like being on vacation all the time. Any problems you have where you are now are going to follow you. You'll still have the daily grind of work, and you won't have the time to spend your days at Disney World or otherwise playing.

Don't come here without a job or at minimum a full six plus months of living expenses, PLUS security deposits or downpayment cash. It can take a long time to find a job, and generally they pay less than in much of the country.

Do not think that it's tropical year round. In most of Florida you can expect cool and even cold winters.

Don't come expecting the cost of living to be low. It's not. It's considerably higher than much of the country.

Don't come here expecting a great education for your kids. With what I've seen, with the exception of a handful of very expensive private schools, the good schools in Florida are about even with the average schools in much of the northeast. Special services are pratically non-existant.

Give serious thought to why you want to move here. If it's because you like to vacation here, stay where you are, or think about it for another year or two before taking the plunge. Visit often and during all the different seasons, and don't spend all your time in the theme parks or at the beach while you are here.

Unless you've spent years planning your move, visiting the various parts of the state that interest you repeatedly, researching employment opportunities, and looking at various communities, rent for a year before buying. For every one person that I know that moved here and stayed, two came and left.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:12 PM

717 posts, read 2,798,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post

I'm 20 so it was paradise to me. I'm also interested in NASA. I never see posts here about NASA, if I lived here I'd be there every launch if not everyday. I can only imagine the views you guys get!

Ron--I am leaving shortly to go over and watch the shuttle launch tonight! It is awesome!!! I never take a launch for granted--ever. Each time I go to watch it I get goosebumps and when I see that shuttle take off--it makes me proud to be an American!!!

I was tired when I finished my looonnggg post last nite and after I finished I laid in bed thinking oh, I should have put that in there and I should hve put that in there too.

The fact is, there are so many things to do in Florida that you could live here a lifetime and not see and do them all. When people complain that they are bored--they have no one to blame but themselves. There is no reason to ever be bored here----unless you want to be.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:01 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,750,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
This thread is for those who moved to Florida and like it there.
Quote:
1981-when I was 19. I moved to Boca Raton for my junior/senior years of college. My parents were going to retire in FL in a few years. I hated the cold (PA). I had never been to FL except one trip to check out the school.

Quote:
Where are you located?
Naples. I have lived in Boca Raton, Key West (briefly), Spring Hill, and Tampa.

Quote:
The winter weather.

Quote:
What advice do you give for those of us who want to move to Florida, because if you moved their and like it, you must have made some great decisions along the way.
Annerk said it perfectly. Research, have a job and housing, and have realistic expectations. Life here is not awful-but it is not the same as life on the postcards, either.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:04 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,750,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

We moved in the day taht Hurricane Frances hit. Welcome to Florida, LOL!

Where are you located?

Clermont

The weather, the local music scene, the small town feel with everything I need within a reasonable drive.

Do not come here thinking it will be like being on vacation all the time. Any problems you have where you are now are going to follow you. You'll still have the daily grind of work, and you won't have the time to spend your days at Disney World or otherwise playing.

Don't come here without a job or at minimum a full six plus months of living expenses, PLUS security deposits or downpayment cash. It can take a long time to find a job, and generally they pay less than in much of the country.

Do not think that it's tropical year round. In most of Florida you can expect cool and even cold winters.

Don't come expecting the cost of living to be low. It's not. It's considerably higher than much of the country.

Don't come here expecting a great education for your kids. With what I've seen, with the exception of a handful of very expensive private schools, the good schools in Florida are about even with the average schools in much of the northeast. Special services are pratically non-existant.

Give serious thought to why you want to move here. If it's because you like to vacation here, stay where you are, or think about it for another year or two before taking the plunge. Visit often and during all the different seasons, and don't spend all your time in the theme parks or at the beach while you are here.

Unless you've spent years planning your move, visiting the various parts of the state that interest you repeatedly, researching employment opportunities, and looking at various communities, rent for a year before buying. For every one person that I know that moved here and stayed, two came and left.
This post deserves an award!

Old 03-15-2009, 11:47 PM

717 posts, read 2,798,935 times
Thanks for the photos On-da-Beach! Soooooooo nice...I wanted to give you feedback for them but it told me I needed to pass it around--LOL Now that I am realizing spring break is here, followed right up by Easter, I am going to wait until late April to get up your way--can't wait though!!!

My daughter and I drove over to watch the shuttle launch tonight---IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL, GORGEOUS LAUNCH!!! Just as dusk was falling--we still had the fire that lit up the sky as with a night launch, but we had enough daylight to see the orbiter as with a daytime launch!!! IT WAS SPECTACULAR. Took us 4 hours to drive the 55 miles back home---but it was worth it!!!

Just one more thing that you can decide to do on a whim if you live down here--and no where else in the country will you ever see a shuttle launch like at the Cape.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:24 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,244,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
Thanks for the photos On-da-Beach! Soooooooo nice...I wanted to give you feedback for them but it told me I needed to pass it around--LOL Now that I am realizing spring break is here, followed right up by Easter, I am going to wait until late April to get up your way--can't wait though!!!

My daughter and I drove over to watch the shuttle launch tonight---IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL, GORGEOUS LAUNCH!!! Just as dusk was falling--we still had the fire that lit up the sky as with a night launch, but we had enough daylight to see the orbiter as with a daytime launch!!! IT WAS SPECTACULAR. Took us 4 hours to drive the 55 miles back home---but it was worth it!!!

Just one more thing that you can decide to do on a whim if you live down here--and no where else in the country will you ever see a shuttle launch like at the Cape.
Wow, we would have loved that!

Did you get any pictures?

Old 05-11-2009, 02:24 PM

26 posts, read 72,425 times
Just gotta chime in and say it is nice to hear from people who have done what we want to do.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:29 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,244,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbusdriver View Post
I have lived in the Pittsburgh area for all my life, that's 44 years...lol My son and I came down to vacation here and fell in love with it. My late mom said the same thing. we settled in here in Plant City, and I must say, I love it. Even though the start was a little rocky, things are starting to fall in place now.

I simply love to be able to look at the temperature on the mirror of my Tahoe and see 77 in January! I for one, hate shoveling snow, and that alone made the trip worthwhile. As for rude people, I haven't seen many. Most everyone i see smiles or says hello! I also agree with itsajourney when she says that its all about attitude. Don't listen to all the naysayers, I am glad I didn't!

Perhaps all the naysayers just wouldn't be happy anywhere. I dont go and bash Pittsburgh, I lived there all my life, but if someone asked me about it, I'd say go for it. I moved because me and cold just don't get along anymore, and I can say now that its been a great move, even with the self made hurdles that were involved. I don't think I will ever move anywhere else out of this state.

By the way, my ex-wife's parents live here, and they came from new York, and they love it here! They wont leave either, and are very happy in Brooksville.
I love this story. I hate the cold also.

What made you decide on Plant City?

Was you there in time to eat at Buddy Freddys before they changed hands?

Plant city makes me think of strawberry pie! yummo!

Success stories like yours and many others needs to be known.

Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida