Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:11 PM

123 posts, read 551,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
This thread is for those who moved to Florida and like it there.

When did you move to Florida?

Where are you located?

What do you like about living in Florida?

What advice do you give for those of us who want to move to Florida, because if you moved their and like it, you must have made some great decisions along the way.
We are relocating to Fort Walton Beach for a job my Fiance was offered. We hope to love it; we hate freezing our bums off here in New England are are oooooooover the snow!
We love warm weather and the ocean... so there we go! I'd prefer the Carolinas for the scenery, still has Mtns. but this is where he got the job of his dreams and is a step in the right direction for him. I just hope I find a job. In briefly looking, there's not a ton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 11:15 PM

156 posts, read 708,769 times
We moved to Florida from Long Island, NY in June 2005. We moved to Wellington in Palm Beach County. While it is a beautiful, safe and wonderful area, it just was not exactly what we were looking for. It was a little too hot too long, we experienced Cat 3 hurricane Wilma 3 months after moving, and reminded us too much of NY crowded, traffic, expensive. So, we decided to move North to St Augustine, we loved the Florida lifestyle, just needed something a little different. Well, I can happily say that we are extremely happy and settled here now, and rarely miss back home (except for the people of course). This area is so wonderful, change of seasons but no winter, beautiful beaches, sightseeing, great schools, nice people, we feel it really has it all!!
We love Florida for so many reasons, the weather, beaches, the fact that our kids play outside every day no matter the season, they are living a very healthy lifestyle, and people are just laid back - no stress here in Florida!! We have beautiful sunsets, and you can see millions of stars on any given night. My 10 year old called me outside the other day to look at the sunset, you just cannot get more confirmation than that to feel you made the right decision. Good luck to you - you make your own happiness no matter where you live!!
My advice would be come to Florida with an open mind, no preconcieved notions of anything, make your decisions once you are here, rent a house first then buy, make sure you have a job, ask around for advice, people are always willing to help you out, and most importantly make the best of whatever decision you make, your attitude can make or break your happiness in life.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,328,272 times
We arrived in Florida on September 10, 2001. The next day was very frightening and the first few months were rocky but things got better.

Where are you located?
I live about half way between Orlando and Daytona.

I don't like cold weather so I love that it never gets really cold here. I love the beach and they are never far away. I love the waterparks in Orlando and the amusement parks as well.

What advice do you give for those of us who want to move to Florida, because if you moved their and like it, you must have made some great decisions along the way.
I had a friend who was director of a department in an insurance company, she offered me a job because she was having a problem getting good help. I moved here with a job in place. I recommend that highly. It also helped me to have someone I knew and trusted already living here so give me some information about places.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:43 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,184,455 times
Late 2004, after two major hurricanes hit southeastern Florida.

Where are you located?
Southeastern Florida.

i) Pleasant temperatures all year round, though humidity is a mixed bag.

ii) Still relatively inexpensive:
  • despite the bubble (now deflating), property prices are still lower than in other desirable areas of the US such as the northeast and California;
  • it is cheaper to cool than to heat;
  • even though people complain, property tax is about the same as in the northeast, for example;
  • no state income tax;
  • if one knows how to shop, great variety of fruits and vegetables, even grown locally, at reasonable prices: Florida has great agriculture - support local agriculture!.

iii) Relative proximity to Europe and Latin America.

The American dream is not home ownership, that is a common aspiration of people throughout the world, and in any case the key to home ownership is certainly not getting high on the money supply. The American dream is owning your own productive, economically competitive business and not being taxed to death for it.

One cannot rely on wages to live comfortably in Florida, it is necessary to bring sizable wealth and/or have the skills to compete, even globally, as a business owner or as a professional, or have good enough connections to land one of the few gainful wage-paying corporate or government jobs available. If one does come as a wage-earner, it is best to manage expectations in terms of material life and focus on what Florida has to offer naturally - but that is the case everywhere; look, most people from the northern hemisphere come to Florida foremost for the pleasant temperatures (emphasize temperatures, not necessarily overall climate).

Last edited by bale002; 05-12-2009 at 01:53 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 08:17 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,328,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
This thread is for those who moved to Florida and like it there.

Where are you located?

Vero Beach
Warm year round, family LOVES to visit, always something to do.

Advice... give it time!!! I hated it at first, even put my house up for sale. But now you couldn't chase me out of Florida. It's a different place in many ways from where you came from so take time to adapt before you head for the hills.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 AM

2,383 posts, read 2,952,939 times
Last summer, August 2008

Where are you located?
Palm Coast

My parents live near here.
Love the style of houses.
Love the prices of houses.
Love the wildlife (except spiders), parks and wildlife preserves.
Love driving A1A along the beach.
The weather, although I'm not a hot weather person and I was actually cold much of this winter, but I still prefer it to NE Ohio weather.
Friendly, friendly people here.
Very impressed with the elementary school.
Love all the activities here. There is really is a lot to do if you look.

My husband wanted to live in Florida eventually. When my parents' health took a turn for the worse, we decided that the future was now. I could work from home, but dh's company refused to let him, so he had to find a new job. He spent 2 years searching for a job within the triangle formed by Jacksonville, Daytona and Orlando. It took a long time, but he found the perfect job in Palm Coast.

Once it happened, we had to move fast. We rented a furnished house month to month, but after a few months, the owners wanted to come back and we had to move. We've been trying to buy a house for about 8 months and even though it's a buyers' market, it has been awful. There's nothing short about a short sale and each time it doesn't work out, we've wasted months. I really didn't want to rent for a year and then buy a house and move again (I hate moving) and have my children face changing schools yet again, so we put our things in storage with the hopes of buying right away. Now I kinda wish we had just committed to a rental for a year.

Advice? Have a job lined up. Have concrete plans where you will live. And remember my mother's words of wisdom, "In Florida, nothing ever happens the way you expect."

Old 05-12-2009, 10:50 AM

67 posts, read 311,038 times
Wow, you guys sure make me feel better about wanting to move. I've been wanting to for a while, but just discovered this forum a month or so ago. Needless to say, all the negative, Florida-bashing comments almost had me talked out of it (though you wouldn't know by my posts, lol). I'd go today if I could get a job... we plan to go in 2 years (or less, hopefully). Still debating on the final destination, but we plan to do plenty of research before the time. We're basically between Port Orange/New Smyrna and Vero/Sebastian. Wish us luck... I hope to only have to suffer a couple more winters before I join you!

Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,241,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Js81 View Post
Wow, you guys sure make me feel better about wanting to move. I've been wanting to for a while, but just discovered this forum a month or so ago. Needless to say, all the negative, Florida-bashing comments almost had me talked out of it (though you wouldn't know by my posts, lol). I'd go today if I could get a job... we plan to go in 2 years (or less, hopefully). Still debating on the final destination, but we plan to do plenty of research before the time. We're basically between Port Orange/New Smyrna and Vero/Sebastian. Wish us luck... I hope to only have to suffer a couple more winters before I join you!
See you are the perfect example of what I post about, people like you and me seeing all these negatives about Florida and being influenced by them.
I think it is wrong.

We both know all states have the good and bad but what I have found is a majority of people who post negatives about Florida have other issues that caused them to hate Florida so much. You will find negatives everywhere you go but in the huge majority of people you will find that the positives far outweigh the negatives.

It is simply not right for people like you and others to be influenced by negatives when the majority of those negatives are self inflicted mistakes or poor choices that you do not see posted.

So do not allow the negativity to blind you, we both know Florida has a lot to offer. Just work very hard on your research and ask tons of questions once you find your town you like. Many people here will give you all the info you need.

I hope you are able to get to Florida some day soon. I hate being cold myself and last winter was miserable.

Goodluck and research your town to pieces, spend some time there as well.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Last summer, August 2008

Where are you located?
Palm Coast

My parents live near here.
Love the style of houses.
Love the prices of houses.
Love the wildlife (except spiders), parks and wildlife preserves.
Love driving A1A along the beach.
The weather, although I'm not a hot weather person and I was actually cold much of this winter, but I still prefer it to NE Ohio weather.
Friendly, friendly people here.
Very impressed with the elementary school.
Love all the activities here. There is really is a lot to do if you look.

My husband wanted to live in Florida eventually. When my parents' health took a turn for the worse, we decided that the future was now. I could work from home, but dh's company refused to let him, so he had to find a new job. He spent 2 years searching for a job within the triangle formed by Jacksonville, Daytona and Orlando. It took a long time, but he found the perfect job in Palm Coast.

Once it happened, we had to move fast. We rented a furnished house month to month, but after a few months, the owners wanted to come back and we had to move. We've been trying to buy a house for about 8 months and even though it's a buyers' market, it has been awful. There's nothing short about a short sale and each time it doesn't work out, we've wasted months. I really didn't want to rent for a year and then buy a house and move again (I hate moving) and have my children face changing schools yet again, so we put our things in storage with the hopes of buying right away. Now I kinda wish we had just committed to a rental for a year.

Advice? Have a job lined up. Have concrete plans where you will live. And remember my mother's words of wisdom, "In Florida, nothing ever happens the way you expect."
Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy your story.
And yes, no way could you ever run out of things to do in Florida.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Vero Beach
Warm year round, family LOVES to visit, always something to do.

Advice... give it time!!! I hated it at first, even put my house up for sale. But now you couldn't chase me out of Florida. It's a different place in many ways from where you came from so take time to adapt before you head for the hills.

That is awesome advise Vero. Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida