Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:24 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,241,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
It's pretty hard to get the meaning of this thread wrong. Are Floridians jealous of people who live in the North ? Obviously the answer is NO. But I do believe that most Floridians that can't get a great job like working at Wendy's, Smokey Bones, and selling Hot Dogs ( as you listed below ) would prefer to give up great weather for better jobs and a smaller cost of living. I could be wrong but that's pretty much the gist I get from my family and friends in Orlando, Lakeland, and Tampa.

My point is not " moot " If anything that proves my point that Florida IS known for low wages which would make the average Floridian wish they were up north making better wages.

By creating your own business and crushing your employees spirit by paying minnimum wage or less ? Or by working them 39 hours instead of 40 so that they don't qualify for health insurance ?

So a waitress at a Smokey Bones in a tourist trap can make 40k a year, Big deal. While Florida may be a giant tourist trap, It's only in certain areas. Waitresses I know at Sonny's in Tampa sometimes take home less than $200 a week working full time. Lazy ? Give me a break, It amazes me how if someone can't find a job or can't find a decent paying job it's always because " they're lazy "

Pool Cleaners in Florida are a dime a dozen and the job doesn't pay well. I'm glad you would rather be poor in Florida than anywhere else and as far as you " creating " jobs, I guess you've never been denied for your permits or licenses or have been shut down for NOT having them ? Didn't think so.

Just called Wendy's at 1615 W Kennedy Blvd in Tampa (813) 254-7205. They said they are not hiring and when I asked how much they usually start their workers off at, His response was $7.25/hr. which I believe is also close to Florida's minnimum wage. Not really a tourist trap though and I doubt people in Tampa will drive to Orlando for a $10/hr job.

Of course Florida would have job growth, Look at the population boom. There is a difference between good jobs and low paying food service jobs which seems to be all you listed. I've been to Detroit, Cleveland, Indy, Milwaukee, Chicago, Cincinnati, and St. Louis. What's you're point ? Most of the people that leave those cities are either retiring or have found a similar job somewhere else. Recently with the automakers hitting rock bottom and Busweiser being sold, Yes, The MidWest is crumbling. They are still in better shape then Florida.

Okay, So what you mean to say is that the State of Florida is beautiful for people with a college degree but people with a H.S. Diploma or less are trash and need to move on down the road to somewhere like Alabama or Mississippi, right ?

Here is a little bit of a newsflash, People in Florida with Bachelors degrees are working in call centers making $9/hr + commission. How do I know that ? My cousin is one of those people and she says she's not alone. When I ask her why she doesn't come up here, She says she loves Florida and doesn't want to leave. Good for her, She can be broke.

Per capita income means nothing. Florida is gods waiting room. I haven't looked it up but I would venture to say that Florida is a mecca for Doctors and with the amount of crime I would venture to say it's also a mecca for Lawyers so they obviously bump up the income. You can't tell me a state who's biggest industry is tourism that pays minnimum wage has a higher income. The numbers are skewed.

Texas and Tennessee both have no state income taxes and both have lower cost of living then Florida. I don't get your point with the tossed in the trash statement.

As far as selling hotdogs on the corner, Is there a city in Florida that has a high pedestrian area ? Do You think I could make big bucks standing at the I-75 offramp in Lake City selling hotdogs ? Nope. Is selling hotdogs really a skill ? Do most people have the 3,4,5,6 grand to spend on a cart and another $200-$500 to spend on inventory ? Do they also have the $250 for the vendor permit and another couple grand for the $1,000,000 insurance you are required by the state to carry ?
I will deal with most of your post later, but just so you will know, minimum wage is for a reason.

You must not have ever owned your own business, lots of people are not even worth 6.00 per hour.

So what is a business owner suppose to do? Overpay people who wont even show up on time, make mistake one after another and ae not worth the time to print a check for. Sorry to tell you this I have been there, you have to go through 4-5 people to get one decent one.

Are you suggesting a business owner share his money with workers just because they asked for a job?

You get paid based on your value and skills. No value and no skills, low pay, that is what min. wage is for.

Look around, we raised the min wage up recently and what happened? More people out of jobs because businesses cannot pay someone who is not worth 6.00 per hour to them.

Min. wage should be 5.00 per hour at the most for those who have no skills or value to the business. Setting a wage only hurts the business.

You earn what value you are able to bring to a business.

And so you will know, I know a hot dog vendor who sells hot dogs at flea markets on the weekends, he tells me he does very well.

What you posted tells me that you have no clue on how to make any money, you have to GO to where you can sell the hot dogs.

He bought a used cart and pays 200.00 per month insurance.

Newsflash for you, people with degrees are not only in Florida, and if you cannot find a job making more then 9.00 per hour with a degree then how did you ever get a degree?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:25 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,090,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
been reading some of the threads in the General US forum about" are people in the north jealous of Floridians" or something similiar and was wondering are Floridians jealous of people who live in the North?
No, no and once again no.

What we want is for them to stop importing the negative aspects of their culture and lifestyle down here.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:26 PM

910 posts, read 2,314,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
I have to chuckle at the comparison of ANYTHING done right in Illinois after the Blago-debacle. But pertaining to the I system, Illinois's is not all that smooth, I've been so confused by the construction around the toll booths that i'm sure I blew through one just by being in the wrong lane. And they're plenty close together too.
Touche'. The machine is corrupted, but the machine gets things done for the right amount of money. Down here, the money seems to disappear or fall into a in a black hole. Either no signs or very slow signs of progress (these construction projects are taking forever). Can you please explain what happened to the surplus Jeb left us a few short years ago and how it turned into an increasing deficit?

Oh, and you haven't explained to me the reason for the close distances between tolls in FL? Is that to make up for the lack of state taxes?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:31 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,838,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I will deal with most of your post later, but just so you will know, minimum wage is for a reason.

You must not have ever owned your own business, lots of people are not even worth 6.00 per hour.

So what is a business owner suppose to do? Overpay people who wont even show up on time, make mistake one after another and ae not worth the time to print a check for. Sorry to tell you this I have been there, you have to go through 4-5 people to get one decent one.
After reading this far I can tell you have a low mental capacity and will not reply to your posts anymore. You want to try to tell me about business and you spew off something like that ? Would you honestly come to work and bust your butt for minnimum wage ? I know I wouldn't.

In order to have good and loyal employees, employees that will bust their butts for you and work long hours if you need them to or that will come in on a saturday or sunday when you need them to, You have to take care of them and you have to pay them well. THAT is the one area Florida sucks in. THAT is the reason people are bad workers. It's " business people " like you that are the cause of many of Floridas problems.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:36 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
Quote:
I've been there grapico, If not for having an uncle living in Nashville back in 2001, I would most likley still be living in Florida to this day. I looked and looked for work and couldn't find anything that paid more than minnimum wage (and this was back in 2001) So I took my last $200 and rented a storage and bought a greyhound bus ticket and left.

It was sad but hell, It had to be done. You can't live in Florida making minnimum wage.
Yeah did the same thing here in 2002... had to work slightly over minimum wage after school (made 7 an hour then), did this for about a year and realized I was NEVER going to find a job. Finally borrowed some cash and left. I actually made more money on the side selling stuff on ebay than any employer wanted to pay. And yes, FL lovesss to work you 32-39 hours then get no benefits

to Sunny, yes minimum wage sucks, but here in Florida they view work as a commodity, and they will still pay you 4-5 an hour if they could and never give you a promotion. We aren't making this up, we have been there, done that, had tons of friends do the same, Florida is NOT like the rest of the U.S.

Quote:
After reading this far I can tell you have a low mental capacity and will not reply to your posts anymore. You want to try to tell me about business and you spew off something like that ? Would you honestly come to work and bust your butt for minnimum wage ? I know I wouldn't.

In order to have good and loyal employees, employees that will bust their butts for you and work long hours if you need them to or that will come in on a saturday or sunday when you need them to, You have to take care of them and you have to pay them well. THAT is the one area Florida sucks in. THAT is the reason people are bad workers. It's " business people " like you that are the cause of many of Floridas problems.
Another issue with Florida, plenty of crappy small companies that devalue their workers, very few mid to high level companies that actually value their employees. I don't know how many stupid contractor crap companies I've looked through here, its kind of funny. Even retail chains are horribly managed compared to their counterparts just across the state line.

I NEVER got any raise while working from 14-22 y/o in Florida from grocery stores, to software companies to law firms. In 6 years outside I got a raise every single year at evaluation, and worked for 2 different companies and promoted 3 times between these, with room on the side to make more money moonlighting... that is the difference. Hard workers in Florida get screwedddd. Unless you are in the good ol boy network or come from a wealthy family you are SOL here.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:36 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,490,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
been reading some of the threads in the General US forum about" are people in the north jealous of Floridians" or something similiar and was wondering are Floridians jealous of people who live in the North?
To the question: Probably not. The majority of FL'ns have moved there from someplace else. I suppose it is possible to get "stuck" there, but I'm guessing most who become "jealous" of other sections of the country move out. (Look at some of the c-d threads for the NE cities devoted to people who moved to FL, hated it and moved back with a new appreciation for their home states). Because of the transient nature of its population, pulling up stakes from FL is a lot easier than pulling up stakes from a state where your roots are. (Try it: ya like it, ya stay...ya hate it ya leave)

Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,490,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
You gotta be kidding me, jealous no way. I'm just glad people like it up there otherwise it would be way to crowded here.
But, FLBob Realtor, it would be more potential business for you if everyone wanted to come there!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,281,087 times
At the end of the day I love how everyone thinks that UP North is the place to be for work...so not true..and let me add alot of dh's friends and past co workers who are in IT, love it in florida and work for really good company's, and they are all from NYC....with that being NY is going to be loosing 330k jobs, with most of them in IT and Banking and such...and the Salaries well they arent as good as u people think they are, yes better than some parts of the country however, company's dont want to pay anymore than they have too....And there are also people who move down there and dont need to make alot of money persay, or they are willing to take a job paying less, lord knows with the unemployment rate all of this country, I would still rather be down in florida with dh having a job of course, but stuggle a little bit than be back up North, its not a bad thing we just really hate the winters and the cold, and after living in Charlotte we could never go back to NY or NJ....

Just my 2 cents....My dh worked in NY all of his professional life and boy things have changed...

Old 03-16-2009, 12:57 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,241,493 times
Quote:

Like I said you have never owned a business, working hard and busting your butt is a value and should those people are hard to find.

To run a business and make money you just cannot pay out money to someone who is willing to bust their butts, you have to be able to provide a skill to that business to make more money for the business therefore more money for you in wages.

I have never worked for minimum wage in my life and will never have to.

Business people like me pay you what you are worth, I cannot pay you 20 bucks an hour if you are only worth 5.00 no matter how hard you work.

You get paid on value and skill.

Do not respond to my post, you have never owned a business and expect a business owner to fork over their money to workers just for showing up.

If the worker was so darn smart why don't they have their own business?

See my point?

Sad that some people believe that just because you own a business you should hand over your money to people when it was you who had the brains and know how to create the business in the first place.

Why do people think they should be paid 10.00 per hour when they are worth 5.00 per hour?

I had an employee once tell me it was not right for me to go on vacation 3 times per year when they are working for 7.00 per hour. The idiot thought I should not go on vacation to pay her more money. YEA RIGHT!
The woman couldnt even show up for work on time and could not do anything but the easiest job we had.

She was not worth 7.00 per hour, more like 3.00 per hour. She is now on welfare sucking money from the rest of us because she says she was never given the chance to learn anything. Liar! Welfare gives these people free rides to college and job placement and training. She was just a lazy butt who wanted to show up and collect MY money for being there.

VALUE & SKILL = HIGH PAY

NO VALUE & NO SKILL = LOW PAY

It's the way it is, like it or not.

Need to make more money, get more skills or become valuable to someone who is willing to pay you what you are worth.

When you own a business of your own then you can become the expert.
I have been there and saw it myself.

My mental capacity must be ok, when I come to Florida I won't be working for anyone but myself. No need to find a job.

So now if you have no skills or value and are low paid it is now the businesses fault because you are struggling? Wow, that is a new one.

Get 2 or 3 jobs if you need to, its called work longer hours to make up for lack of skills. If you need to work 20 hour days then so be it.

A few 20 hour days will never hurt anyone. Get off the computer and stop whining!! You cannot be making any money sitting here crying all the time.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:58 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,736,695 times
This is pretty amusing. I think you are asking the question at the wrong time though LOL - you might want to ask this question in June when Florida (as other people say is boiling), oh wait, you can't do that it will be boiling in NY too. Never mind! There are many people who love the winter months, I am not one of them. There is nothing I find more boring than the Winter months. I don't live in Florida and there may be many people who disagree with me on this, but this is how I separate the weather in Florida...

Jan - Mar - Spring/ Coolish Summer - compared to most of the country
Apr - Jun - Warm Summer compared to the rest of the country
Jul - Sept - HOT - that being said - I assure you NY is very hot and Humid in July and August as well. I'm not sure why people who live in Florida and those who live here are afraid to admit this fact, but it gets HELLAHOT here.
Oct - Dec - Indian Summer/warm fall day.

I think it is an over statement to say that from April to October it is so hot you can't breath in Florida. I may be wrong, but I just can't imagine that. If you are hydrated you can be out in the hot/warm weather and still have energy, you can't drink a hot chocolate and hang outside in the winter. I won't tell you people who say that they do that are lying, but I will say they are outside for the most part by their damn selves, I'm in my house with the heat on 71 - LOL

Last edited by Shoegal1075; 03-16-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida