Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 09:15 AM

42 posts, read 146,701 times

Advertisements

This thread is in line with a previous post of mine, but more specific. I'm locked into, or better yet hopefully hired to one the three Universities mentioned ( USF, FAU, Florida Gulf Coast ).
To give you an idea of us. We were born and raised in Miami and have lived here for 38 years in a good middle class area, but the "wagons are circling" and it's becoming less fun, less safe, and less sense of a nieghboorhood feel. We enjoy fishing, boating, golfing and riding around the neighboorhood in our golf cart. We are restricted to one bar, a few restuarants, and friends houses. Our son plays baseball with teams where they mainly speak and cheer in spanish. We are dying to be around Americans again! Our criteria is simple and maybe even silly.

1) 85-100% white non-hispanic
2) The major holidays are heavily celebrated and the homes are decorated for Halloween and Christmas. Are there any neighboorhoods that have 100-300 trick-or-treaters anymore. We get like 5.
3) No more than a 30 to 40 minute drive to the University.
4) We like the "keys" - "coastal" atmosphere and easy access to boat ramps that are not too far away.

We like Southern style homes and if it is not along the coast, then perhaps a lake environment is good too.

I think you get the gist of it. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 03:50 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,679,402 times
I can say around USF good areas for families are Brandon/Valrico/Riverview. There are a lot of good schools in the area, activities for kids to do, shopping in the area as well as close to shopping in Tampa, about 25-30 mins. from USF, about 45 mins. from some of the best West Coast beaches-Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island (where the water is clear and there is sugar sand beaches). I am not sure about the stats on the race. I can't help you there, but I live here in Brandon and would prefer Riverview if I were to buy a home. Another good area you can look into is New Tampa.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:49 PM

17,455 posts, read 38,850,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9989 View Post
This thread is in line with a previous post of mine, but more specific. I'm locked into, or better yet hopefully hired to one the three Universities mentioned ( USF, FAU, Florida Gulf Coast ).
To give you an idea of us. We were born and raised in Miami and have lived here for 38 years in a good middle class area, but the "wagons are circling" and it's becoming less fun, less safe, and less sense of a nieghboorhood feel. We enjoy fishing, boating, golfing and riding around the neighboorhood in our golf cart. We are restricted to one bar, a few restuarants, and friends houses. Our son plays baseball with teams where they mainly speak and cheer in spanish. We are dying to be around Americans again! Our criteria is simple and maybe even silly.

1) 85-100% white non-hispanic
2) The major holidays are heavily celebrated and the homes are decorated for Halloween and Christmas. Are there any neighboorhoods that have 100-300 trick-or-treaters anymore. We get like 5.
3) No more than a 30 to 40 minute drive to the University.
4) We like the "keys" - "coastal" atmosphere and easy access to boat ramps that are not too far away.

We like Southern style homes and if it is not along the coast, then perhaps a lake environment is good too.

I think you get the gist of it. Thanks everyone.
Mark, you got some good suggestions already on your original post, I don't think you are going to get much more.

Just curious - why is having so many "trick-or-treaters" important? Honestly, I think you will be hard pressed to find places where you get that many anymore; these days parents send their kids to private parties, school events or those put on by the town because it's kind of dangerous out there for kids in these times no matter where you go.

Good luck!

Old 10-18-2008, 02:00 PM

42 posts, read 146,701 times
Well. #1, we love halloween and love decorating. I remember when I was young there were hundreds of trick or treaters. #2, I figured any place that has 100's of kids trick or treating and meets the criteria 85-100% white has to be very close to all our criteria, desires, dreams etc....

I posted again bc i got cities nowhere near those three universities.

Thanks though

Old 10-18-2008, 05:12 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,842,570 times
You want USF in Tampa, without doubt.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:16 AM

13 posts, read 96,054 times
Default USF 100% Middle Eastern Int'l College

Don't forget New Tampa if you choose USF.

Or if USF CHOOSES U!

Wesley Chapel & New Tampa are in USF's back door. It's a booming area,
HOT properties that have a complete city, WireGrass new Mall, movie theaters, New Tampa Recreation Dept., all major grocery stores/banks,
Lowes/Home Depot everything you need & much more. Far enough from
the inner city of Tampa you will not live near a beach just a golf course maybe. Considered the suburbs of Tampa, close to I75.

Back to USF, got Middle-Easterns who got accepted @ USF I'm talking
the WHOLE family! This is even BEFORE they got their DIPLOMA. Go figure. Even some South Americans. However, if you're born in the good old USA you have the an opportunity if you have a 4.0 or higher.
Athletic sch. students won't have problem. My parents came from Central America tho I'm english/irish.

My mom calls USF the Terrorist College. Named for all the nutty professors, you know the ones (SAMI comes to mind). Another one committed suicide on Flatwoods Trail. The latest one got caught stealing a bike, he was fired tho & tried to rescind his resignation. Nice try.

That's why I'm moving from New Tampa, my children don't stand a chance @ USF. My nephew had a 3.5 GPA, NOT GOOD ENOUGH, so why live in New Tampa. I think if I move to Hawaii, my kids would be able to get into
a real university.

Applying to USF, make sure to put some headgear & apply. Ladies don't shave under the pits.

I had my house built here for USF so maybe some other
foreigner can buy I hope PLEASE I think this guy from Turkey in my neighborhood mentioned buying it. Gobble Gobble

Old 05-25-2009, 07:17 AM

18,032 posts, read 11,690,805 times
Gainesville

Old 05-25-2009, 07:28 AM

13 posts, read 96,054 times
P.S. Forgot to mention the USF student who was acquitted recently
tho his buddy was found guilty for making bombs on the internet.
He got arrested @ New Tampa Wal-Mart for INS violations is in
Miami I hear.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:35 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,290,449 times
If you have a major that you can complete at FAU's Jupiter campus, then Jupiter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida