U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:39 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,023,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post

If I were single with no kids, I'd live at the beach!
Me too!! But I have two little ones and need good schools and a safe area... so we just bought a brand new home in Port Orange.

Expensive? That's all subjective. What's expensive to one person is not to another. The houses here are way cheaper than where I came here from. So to me it looks like a great bargain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 07:44 AM

31 posts, read 125,860 times
Thanks for all the great info... I did have one other question, and it pertains to weather (keep in mind, I have lived in OH & MI all my life). Anyways...is there any general 'rule of thumb' as to houses built after a certain time being better able to withstand any sorts of severe weather? I know nothing is ever certain - but didn't know if there were any things to be sure and look for - such as types of roofing/windows...or variances in building codes after a certain year? I'm assuming concrete -vs- wood construction is a no brainer, but anything else to ask about/be aware of? Thanks... again!!!

Old 04-22-2007, 01:57 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,023,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jegonda View Post
Anyways...is there any general 'rule of thumb' as to houses built after a certain time being better able to withstand any sorts of severe weather? !
The newer the house the more up to date hurricane codes the house was built with (or supposed to be built with). Insurance companies want to know right off the bat what year the house was built, the year will greatly impact your insurance rates. Case in point: we looked at two houses to buy, both around the same price. One house was 7 years old, one was brand new. The homeowner's insurance on the brand new house was around $350 a year cheaper than the older one. Some older homes can't even get insurance through regular companies and must go through Citizens.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:57 PM

97 posts, read 354,579 times
Ormond beach, port orange area. avoid daytona beach to live

Old 05-14-2007, 02:17 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,375,648 times
Statistics on Crime and home value increases are a thing of public record online...for Deltona

One thing I learned from the 2004 hurricane season and having a friend who worked Asplundh (the men who work their fingers to the bone restoring power after storms like that, they drive the orange trucks and go all over the US if called)...The way Deltona has been built, its very difficult for them to access the power lines as they often run down behind homes with no access for their vehicles or at least easy access, I beleive most of Deltona has above ground power lines which makes them more likely to get knocked out when a tree falls.

They had alot of power outage AND alot of flooding during those hurricanes.

I would LOVE to have a house on the beach or across the road from the beach in either Ponce Inlet or Port Orange, thats a dream, I would LOVE to hear the crashing of the waves all the time. The rhythm puts me in a trance.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:58 AM

22 posts, read 66,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jegonda View Post
Coming to area in a month or so for job move, working in Daytona...where are th ebest places to live, as far as safety, and reasonable commuting time? Looking to probably rent a house/condo at first before committing to buy. Prefer a newer area...no kids, so schools are not an issue right now. Thanks!
I did the same thing. Moved here for a job about 3 months ago. On my initial visit here I looked at apartment complexes and found them to be either old and rundown or brand new and over priced. I stayed north of Dayton. I did a l lot of drivingthrough the areas and was not crazy about the south of Daytona. I did find that most of the area is fairly close and a short commute. I finally found a duplex in a quiet neighborhood In Ormond Beach with the same things as a complex (pool, tennis court etc and a yard!) for a more reasonable price.

On bit of advice, go through your things that you are planning on bringing. I found that the rooms are very smal compared to where I came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or