U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:10 AM

31 posts, read 127,366 times

Advertisements

Coming to area in a month or so for job move, working in Daytona...where are th ebest places to live, as far as safety, and reasonable commuting time? Looking to probably rent a house/condo at first before committing to buy. Prefer a newer area...no kids, so schools are not an issue right now. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 08:01 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,134,221 times
I live in the area. Personally I wouldn't buy or rent in Daytona. Some areas are not the nicest, although it's a nice place to shop, visit, etc.

Right now I live in Ormond Beach, just north of Daytona. It's nice here, I like it and it's a quick drive to Daytona. But we just bought a house in Port Orange and will be moving in next week. Port Orange is just south of Daytona. It's very nice, about the same distance away from Daytona as Ormond is. Personally I think the two nicest places around are Ormond Beach and Port Orange and both offer nice communities and quick commutes to Daytona.

Another one you could consider, but is just a little further is New Smyrna Beach.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:26 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,870,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I live in the area. Personally I wouldn't buy or rent in Daytona. Some areas are not the nicest, although it's a nice place to shop, visit, etc.

Right now I live in Ormond Beach, just north of Daytona. It's nice here, I like it and it's a quick drive to Daytona. But we just bought a house in Port Orange and will be moving in next week. Port Orange is just south of Daytona. It's very nice, about the same distance away from Daytona as Ormond is. Personally I think the two nicest places around are Ormond Beach and Port Orange and both offer nice communities and quick commutes to Daytona.

Another one you could consider, but is just a little further is New Smyrna Beach.
I totally agree! Port Orange and Ormond would be the top of my list. You might want to check out Deland as well. The commute is not bad and the town is pretty nice. Stay away from Daytona Beach (beach side). The crime is pretty bad and when there are events in town you can not get away from the traffic. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2007, 06:48 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,667,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
Stay away from Daytona Beach (beach side). The crime is pretty bad and when there are events in town you can not get away from the traffic. Good luck!
Ditto.

There are some new apartment complexes in Ormond, right at I-95 & State Road 40, which is Granada Blvd., the main drag of Ormond, from the ocean west. One is called The Crowne and I think the newest is Bahama something? Also a few apartment complexes around Volusia Mall, not as nice an area as Ormond. I think they all offer a 7 month lease, which would give you to time to scope things out. Plenty of condos for rent oceanfront.

The local paper is the Daytona Beach News-Journal. www.news-journalonline.com

Old 03-24-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl View Post
Ditto.

There are some new apartment complexes in Ormond, right at I-95 & State Road 40, which is Granada Blvd., the main drag of Ormond, from the ocean west. One is called The Crowne and I think the newest is Bahama something? Also a few apartment complexes around Volusia Mall, not as nice an area as Ormond. I think they all offer a 7 month lease, which would give you to time to scope things out. Plenty of condos for rent oceanfront.

The local paper is the Daytona Beach News-Journal. www.news-journalonline.com
The apartments you are referring to in Ormond by the freeway are the ones I lived in until we moved into our new house in Port Orange. The complex is called Bermuda Estates. They are really nice, kind of pricey for what you get, but the area is good. Also, they don't give you a washer and dryer, which I think is the biggest downside to them. But we stayed there for 5 months while deciding where to purchase a home and we've liked them and the area. They have a lot of vacate units because it's a new complex. When we moved into our apartment nobody had ever lived in it before. The Crowne ones aren't bad either, they look nice.

I chose Bermude because they were new and they all expect at least a 7 month lease. But Burmude Estates allows you to pay a $300 fee upfront and then you can break the least upfront any time with a 30 day notice.

There's another complex off Granada called Fisherman's Landing I think. It looks okay, just a older.

Personally I don't care for West Volusia county (Deland and Deltona). I like the east areas better. They are more run down, more crime, not as close to the ocean and have high minority rates (if that kind of thing matters to you). And I love the ocean, I wouldn't want to be that far away from it.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:20 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,667,661 times
Deland & Deltona ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!!! Stetson University is in Deland. It is the county seat of Volusia. It is a beautiful little town. Deltona is one of those "planned communities" which grew into a suburban slum.

RWF, you're giving people advice that maybe well-intentioned, but is totally off-base.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:51 AM

31 posts, read 127,366 times
thanks for all the great info - 'tis very much appreciated!

Old 03-26-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Deland & Deltona ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!!! Stetson University is in Deland. It is the county seat of Volusia. It is a beautiful little town. Deltona is one of those "planned communities" which grew into a suburban slum.

RWF, you're giving people advice that maybe well-intentioned, but is totally off-base.
So what you are saying is that your opinion differs from mine about Deland and Deltona? Okay. That's fine... But still, I don't care as much for west Volusia county. I like east Volusia county better (Ormond, Port Orange). Just because you disagree with it doesn't mean it's "off-base." I dont' agree with yours, but I don't find you off-base, I just find you having a different opinion.

Whether or not you like a city/area is very subjective. Show one block to three people and you will get three opinions that may widely vary. To each his own...

Old 03-26-2007, 07:24 AM

131 posts, read 977,527 times
Ormond, Port Orange and New Smyrna Beach are all great communities, but can be on the expensive side. You may want to add Flagler Beach to the list as well.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:11 AM

800 posts, read 2,806,985 times
Quote:

Deltona is not a planned community. It's a hodgepodge of homes built by many different people with many different ideas. However, having said that, there are affordable homes in Deltona.

Deland is a great place if you like that type of town. There are lots of quaint places to call home in Deland as well as planned communities.

If I were single with no kids, I'd live at the beach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or