Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:46 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times

Advertisements

Those are the facts baby - What have I said that shines on NY negatively. No one can argue what is taken out of your pay check - NO ONE - do you even work in NY? If you are not moving to Florida and have no interest in it and live in the Philly metro area, what in the world are you doing on this forum. MMMMMMMMMMM, are you one of those who like to bash the place you don't currently live and have no plans to live and then tell people how much better a place is that you don't currently live either?? You should tell us things about the PHILLY METRO AREA. What your opinion is about what I say about the place I CURRENTLY dwell is of no concern to me. I'm not complaining about NY, it just isn't the place for me. I have never once ever said that NY was the worst place to live. If I had more money available to me, it would be great (aside from the cold). Oh wait, why are you on here again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 11:15 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Yes, that is high, but you starting point is cheaper. Our starting point is inflated from the jump - you know the special thank you the city and the state like to give those who live here. THANKS! Try making 85K a year, but really only coming home with about 48K a year. Sound Good. That is what nyc, nys and the fed take from little ole me.
That is the cost of doing business there, get a higher paying job? Everybody is subject to that there, correct?
So why are you so unhappy about it. There are probably other jobs making more you could get right?
There are way more lateral and upward mobility moves to be made in cities like NYC than anywhere in Florida...

Only trying to help out a bad decision you might make soon thinking the grass is greener on the other side.

Me and many others are in your boat, maybe not from NYC ...

but if you do LIKE NYC ... or some of the other big cities and that is what you are used to...

the whole slow town thing will be fine for about the first 6 months to a year after you move... then you'll start longing for this and that, they don have this, they dont have that...what the heck are they doing this for, why do people think this way, they aren't in the real world etc. etc.

I'm not talking about broadway ... I'm talking about like... hey maybe they get ANY decent band to come, wanting certain kinds of food, and the town not having ANY, wanting a nice public park, and the town not having ANY, wanting good bars, and the town not having ANY...wanting to take a walk...but you can only walk in your neighborhood, or down a place with no sidewalks, wanna go ANYWHERE? get in your car. welcome to most of middle america.

Hey if you don't enjoy this stuff, more power to ya, but from my personal experience coming from Chicago, going out of it to just a more lacking smaller city...it can drive you nuts.

If you are going to a small town with total peace and quiet on the beach or something, you could be pretty happy though in Florida coming from that. Thing is, that is harder and harder to find in Florida than what it used to be and the prices are through the roof for the most part for those property locations.

Once you live somewhere like NYC and like it... everything else is just not the same.

NYC isn't really that cold... its actually a pretty good trade off (pretty average to mild winter, not much extreme temps, not much snow, vs. hottest and humidest summer in the U.S. outside of maybe southern Alabama and Southern Georgia and parts of Texas you are contemplating)

Anybody that thinks summers in NYC are that bad must have never spent a whole summer (April-September) living in Florida, there are no "cool day" breaks from it besides an every single day thunder shower you can set your watch to, and it lasts a LOT longer, and higher heat indexes from humidity. Just saying this because you seem to think the winter in NYC is some kind of burden and summer is the same (think it was u who said that too, excuse me if not, still relevant)... careful what u wish for.

Last edited by grapico; 03-17-2009 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-17-2009, 11:24 AM

Grapico - you are right - there are sooooo many things I will miss about NY, but I have had some time in a small town place in Maryland and I loved it. I'm leaving more for my kids. There is a certain lifestyle I want for them. If you have followed any of my other posts, Florida is really the only place that my husband will go due to family. We have been thinking long and hard about this for over a year, back when things weren't as bad and finally, he made the decision in September (talk about bad timing). I would go to a lot of other places, but I don't dislike Florida enough to not make the move - do you know what I mean. There will be adjustments to be made as there are in any move.

Can I get a higher paying Job? Not doing what I do and without leaving my spine on the table for my boss. I'm a legal assistant not an attorney and frankly, I make above the norm for a legal assistant. I know you will here talk about Executive Assistants who make 6 figures, I'm here to say, I don't know any of them.

I have a good support system there and I know that I will be ok. Will a struggle initially, yes, but most people do. I think the benefits in the end will outweigh any hesitations I have about that struggle.

Thank you for being a little kinder int the way you worded things!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Grapico - you are right - there are sooooo many things I will miss about NY, but I have had some time in a small town place in Maryland and I loved it. I'm leaving more for my kids. There is a certain lifestyle I want for them. If you have followed any of my other posts, Florida is really the only place that my husband will go due to family. We have been thinking long and hard about this for over a year, back when things weren't as bad and finally, he made the decision in September (talk about bad timing). I would go to a lot of other places, but I don't dislike Florida enough to not make the move - do you know what I mean. There will be adjustments to be made as there are in any move.

Can I get a higher paying Job? Not doing what I do and without leaving my spine on the table for my boss. I'm a legal assistant not an attorney and frankly, I make above the norm for a legal assistant. I know you will here talk about Executive Assistants who make 6 figures, I'm here to say, I don't know any of them.

I have a good support system there and I know that I will be ok. Will a struggle initially, yes, but most people do. I think the benefits in the end will outweigh any hesitations I have about that struggle.

Thank you for being a little kinder int the way you worded things!
Completely understandable. I try to just be realistic with people I don't know. I have to do the same thing for opposite situations, different times in your life, etc. For me, a SO came into the picture, as well as the economy, and a wanting slow career to eventually get out of IT, so for me, it has completely changed things from where my plans were if you would have asked me 2 years ago. I wouldn't want to raise kids in NYC proper either unless I had a ton of cash, not that I wouldn't want to take them there on vacation, but just too much to get involved with imho. Seen too many get messed up in the wrong ****. Hey if I have kids, once they are out at 18, I would more than happy for them to go around the world and move wherever and encourage it. I'd probably move from the big city to the burbs or another small town for those 18-20 years, then move back once they are out of the nest.
I'm sure you'll be fine, just didn't want you to make the same mistakes so many people do.

I understand the husband thing wanting to be there. I'm in your situation there, but the guy on this side, coming to Florida is just proving to be way too far away from her family and has a MUCH bigger family than me and they are more concentrated, so I will sway back her way soon, not near as a big of a difference as it is for me as it is to her. She has several siblings, I'm an only child, their family is more connected... I'm mostly just in touch with my parents, etc.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
I think that the first step in growing the innovators and entrepreneurs needed to build a diverse economy in Florida, we need to build the number and variety of institutes for higher learning.

Areas that have large corporations to large small businesses tend to locate where they can find the talent.

More than taxes, lease costs, travel costs, and any other cost you may want to throw out there, availability of talent is a key consideration where a company will locate. Companies are successful because of their people. Companies locate where recruiting talent is easy.

Take a look at the metro areas where you have a large diverse business environment and look at the schools. With Florida being a relatively young state relative to it's population, it may take time, probably decades to develop the schools needed to move the economy to a broader platform.

When I first moved to Florida (Naples) I was amazed at the lack of schools in SW Florida. Coming from the Baltimore DC area I was accustom to an amazing number and variety of schools.

It's education that drives creativity, and creativity that starts new business, and it's growing businesses that provide jobs.
I would agree with that, but what seems to be happening now is that the grads we do produce seem to take their degree and flee.

How do we get them to stay?

Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 PM

That is a huge difference and I appreciate and thank you for your honesty. I'm just so confused why people come on to a Florida forum and don't currently live here or even plan on moving here. I don't get it. What would be the point to follow a poster around telling them they are wrong about the view they have of the place they live and the place they are looking to go. People come on here looking for sound advice not to be belittled by people who think they know best.

My mom lives in Tennessee and all my husband's family live in Florida. My ex-stepmom (who I am still very close with) lives there. I'm the only one here in NY aside from my father and grandmother (whom I will miss dearly). Point is I have to do what is best for me and my family and I believe in my heart I'm doing the right thing for them.

I like NY a lot! There is a lot to offer here, but the lifestyle I want for them can not be had here, so off I must go. I have a feeling they will as adults make their way back to NY and they should it is a great city! Expensive but that is all apart of it. I will be sad to leave my NY, but I will be happy that I will be giving my boys what I DEEM to be the best life possible.

Thanks again Grapico.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
I would agree with that, but what seems to be happening now is that the grads we do produce seem to take their degree and flee.

Exactly, Tallahassee has FSU and FAMU, not Ivy league, but certainly not crappy schools, and some others to boot, with about 70K students... Tallahassee has refused for years to get business in and pretty much everybody gets out of here. The tax payers foot the bill for in state tuition costs, then the students get out. The lottery has also let a lot more people go to school here which was a great idea, but then, everybody leaves on those gambling profits and tax bills forked over. Tallahassee just doesn't WANT to grow and makes it really hard with inspectors, where you can build, etc. for new companies to do so.

On the other hand, look at what Raleigh and Austin have done...or Boulder.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:18 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Oh wait, why are you on here again?
I am here because I am a member of this forum. Why do you ask? Is it not OK for me to give an opinion about a place I once lived? Let me know if I need your permission.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:21 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post

The problem is that many Florida cities just do not have the career opportunities to support these graduates. They must go where the jobs and opportunities are located.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:24 PM

That place being NY or Florida? No, honey no permission needed, but why are you trying to negate my view of where I live? I know what I get paid, I know what I bring home and all of the sudden I'm hating on NY - where did that come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida