Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:35 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I'm Baaaaack...... Got here Sunday evening. Perty warm, but feels ok after the winter in MA.
sellout.

Glad you're back in Florida..

Any wagers on how long it is until he posts how much he hates it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 12:20 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
In this economy a person has to go wherever they need to for employment. No shame in moving somewhere for a job. At least you are not moving here for the weather, lol.

Best of luck to you and hopefully things work out for the best.
I felt that way when I moved to FL, but having lived here for almost 13 years, I don't think I will move for employment alone, unless it's a dire reason to.

In my current position, I'm relatively well-established and can retire from my job in FL, but am willing to forego all that so I can live in what my wife and I consider a better quality of life up north. Again, that's just our opinion, as the north is someone else's hell while it's our paradise. But we're willing to do it because we do know how much happier we were up there.

Now, I'm not sure if I'll go to the extent that I'll work a McD's or BK just to live up north, but I may not end up being in the management or higher-up position that I'm in now, but again, willing to forego that to enjoy the living that we know of compared to how we live down here (meaning, contending with what we don't like down here on a daily basis).

I will always be grateful for the opportunity and time spent in FL that gave us the opportunity to be able to move back up north in a few short years, but it's ironic that it wasn't enough to convince us to call FL our home, because it truly is in your heart where your home lies, you just feel it. And we feel it every time we visit up there, it actually feels like we're leaving home when we come back down here (from vacation up there).

Old 03-31-2009, 02:45 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
I came back in June, it took me until December, like the first time, to want to go back. Now after almost 2 years, it is a real struggle day to day, year round.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:01 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Nah, I won't post how much I hate it. You guys all know my dislikes about here. I did make the decision because I was offered a job. The one in Massachusetts I went for was a joke. I have been on unemplyment for 6 months now, and it was getting dire for us $368 every 2 weeks is just awesome!!! Wife could not get a job up in MA either. She was at one then they layed off 21 people. It was WORSE than here. When my old boss called with a job, I was like "when do I start"... Massachusetts was great, still my home, still love it, but it was getting pretty bad worrying about how to pay for heating oil every 4 weeks, electric bill, propane, wood for the woodstove.... We barely made it, then there was rent... Not a good last 6 months. So yes it's hot here, that sucks in the summer. But I will be making more in 1 week than I made in 3 weeks with unemployment. My daughter got right back into her school even the same teacher. And he is a good teacher. The wife may be going back to her old job. So this was say an "emergency" move back to fl. I wasn't really forced. Things are looking up so far here.

See, I knew what "never say never" means. I didn't say I would never come back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
sellout.

Glad you're back in Florida..

Any wagers on how long it is until he posts how much he hates it ?

Old 04-04-2009, 07:50 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Nah, I won't post how much I hate it. You guys all know my dislikes about here. I did make the decision because I was offered a job. The one in Massachusetts I went for was a joke. I have been on unemplyment for 6 months now, and it was getting dire for us $368 every 2 weeks is just awesome!!! Wife could not get a job up in MA either. She was at one then they layed off 21 people. It was WORSE than here. When my old boss called with a job, I was like "when do I start"... Massachusetts was great, still my home, still love it, but it was getting pretty bad worrying about how to pay for heating oil every 4 weeks, electric bill, propane, wood for the woodstove.... We barely made it, then there was rent... Not a good last 6 months. So yes it's hot here, that sucks in the summer. But I will be making more in 1 week than I made in 3 weeks with unemployment. My daughter got right back into her school even the same teacher. And he is a good teacher. The wife may be going back to her old job. So this was say an "emergency" move back to fl. I wasn't really forced. Things are looking up so far here.

See, I knew what "never say never" means. I didn't say I would never come back...
Don't feel bad, I'll likley be back in state sooner or later too. Florida is like a really good drug. It's bad for you, You don't want it, but eventually you give into it and you're home.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:47 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Scary thing is, no jobs here, no jobs there. Yet, I have 3 calls today from other employers looking. On top of the one running my backround and references ready to hire me(should know by tomorrow). Pthers are in in St. Pete, Naples(no thanks) and Bradenton. What to do. Heck I was excited to get one call the entire 6 months in MA. Florida is ok, NOT LIKE IT WAS 10 YEARS AGO, BUT STILL GOOD POINTS TO IT.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:35 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
My husband, who is in the IT, has experienced problems going back 10 years, which is when his field got hit with the offshoring, etc.

I work with developmentally challenged children and adults. I have never had trouble gets jobs in either New York or Florida. Because this is a very stressful and physically demanding line of work, there is tremendous burnout and turnover. I have had to turn down job offers in both places.

It really just depends on your line of work and how much of a demand this is for it.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:41 PM

360 posts, read 1,909,283 times
Quote:

And so many from Florida think it's the worst down there. Just another example that no matter where you live really, things are bad all over right now. A couple towns over from where I live now and grew up, it looks more and more like a run down ghost town everyday and it's sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida