U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 51,539 times
Default Ex-Felons and the Fair Housing Act

Once a person has served their time, therefore paying their dues, after committing a non-violent, non-sexual felony, are they covered under the Fair Housing Act, or are they to be forced to become homeless as a result of the governments' branding them a legally discriminated group? Do they have any rights whatsoever? They have a hard enough time getting a decent job because of their legally discriminated against designation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 11:07 AM

9,646 posts, read 5,093,468 times
There is only a couple rental places I know in South Fla Broward county that you can rent an apt there and have a felony against you

Old 03-19-2009, 11:24 AM

7,902 posts, read 5,180,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exshunjin View Post
Once a person has served their time, therefore paying their dues, after committing a non-violent, non-sexual felony, are they covered under the Fair Housing Act, or are they to be forced to become homeless as a result of the governments' branding them a legally discriminated group? Do they have any rights whatsoever? They have a hard enough time getting a decent job because of their legally discriminated against designation.
Ex-felons are not a protected class.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 51,539 times
I realize ex-felons are not protected, but what ever happened to "paying your dues"? After losing so many years of a persons' life for a non-violent, non-sexual crime, hasn't the person paid their dues? If not, then doesn't that make our legal system a farce?
I know that I was guilty of being biased against people who had felonies in their background. Then I went to prison. I lost my career, my family, my house, my life savings, everything. I am no longer able to work in the only field I was trained and worked in for 17 years. I am 47. I spent over 5 years in prison. I won't even start my car now without my seatbelt on because I fear the thought of ever going behind bars again. I am now more law abiding than most citizens. I also found that there are many people in prison who really are good people, we've just made a poor choice and paid for it. But the State of Florida has the laws set up so that , even having done my sentence, I am still doing time and paying for my mistake. Federally, once you finish your sentence, you are done with it. But not Florida. Every sentence is a life sentence.
I'm sorry. I'm not here to whine, and I do apologize to every resident of Florida for my mistake, but I have finished my sentence. I have paid my dues. Please give me a chance to fit back into society and become worth something again. You can never imagine the what it is like. And to every child out there, take it from someone who knows, there is no amount of money that can be made illegally that is worth going to prison over. Stay in school and do the right thing.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:54 AM

19 posts, read 29,260 times
First of all Convicted felons at this place and time are not a protected class.

Your best bet is to be up front with your potential landlord and let them make the call. In this day and age, it has been instilled in people heads to make sure they are not renting to a convicted sex offender. In some areas Landlords can be fined for that.

Some communities are so overwhelmed with illegals that they are now writing ordinances that any "felon" planning to reside in an area be a United States citizen. This is a good thing.

The majority of people know that not all convicted felons are the "holy grail" of evil.
In this economy people can protect themselves with deposits, even if they dont believe in leases. Just be up front. The neighbors dont like to hear probation officers knocking on your door at 10pm. All these things are factors when finding a place to live. Your landlord or potential landlord has the right and duty to secure their property and to ensure their neighbors safety and security.

One of my neighbors did upteen years for murder, I dont know the circumstances but I can tell you he purchased his house 4 doors down from mine many years ago and is probably one of the best neighbors I have. He keeps to himself his yard is immaculate..hell I wish I had more neighbors like him in comparison to some of the others on the block. I get where your coming from I do, but landlords dont take a verbal description of a felons crime these days. Your better served to have your court-records handy if the crime was non-violent, non sexual and your proof of employment.Plus the Landlord doesnt want your prison buddies visiting or staying the night. Dont be surprized if you have to increase your deposit money either. If a landlord has to jump thru the hoops of eviction ..you'll pay for it. But that is with anyone these days. Oh and dont lie on an app, if you have to fill one out. Thats grounds for eviction and you'll lose your deposit. I verbally ask, have you ever been convicted of a felony? So far havent had the problem. But if some one ask "dont lie". You sound like a decent enough guy, but that not enough to get you into someones real estate.

Last edited by Valigator; 08-01-2009 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: added comment

Old 06-15-2010, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 46,913 times
CLAIMING IN APPLICTIONS MUST PASS BACK ROUND CHECK IS THE NEW WAY OF RACIAL DISCRIMINATION Over 600,000 people are now being released from prisons each year. Many suffer from a
variety of serious difficulties as they attempt to reenter society. Among the most challenging
situations they face is that of reentry into the labor market. Employment rates and earnings of exoffenders
are low by almost any standard—though in most cases they were fairly low even
before these (mostly) men were incarcerated. Low employment rates seem closely related to the
very high recidivism rates observed among those released from prison.
Why are the employment and earnings of ex-offenders so low? What barriers do they
face in gaining employment and in achieving earnings that are sufficient to live on
independently? To what extent are these barriers based on their own characteristics and attitudes,
as opposed to those of employers? Are there policies that are likely to reduce these barriers, and
thereby improve employment and earnings among ex-offenders............Well we have started a BOYCOTT since they can't hire us they should'nt profit from us We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are cre-
ated equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain
unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the
pursuit of Happiness. CThat to secure these rights. Govern-
ments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers
from the consent of the governed. C That whenever any Form of
Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People
to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its
foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form,
as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness'
There is nothing mysterious about the foundations of a healthy
and strong democracy. The basic things expected by our people
of their political and economic systems are simple. They are:
Equality of opportunity for youth and for others.
Jobs for those who can work.
Security for those who need it.
The ending of special privilege for the few.
The preservation of civil liberties for all.
The enjoyment of the fruits of scientific progress in a wider
and constantly rising standard of living.2
Every person should have the right to work and to receive a
living wage for their work. It is time for a constitutional change.
As the nation exhibits its legislative unwillingness to support non-
working adults by forcing them off government assistance pro-
grams,5 they will meet millions who are already seeking work.***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-15-2010 at 02:42 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 46,913 times
for running someone over who was robbing me he's still alive next time it happens ill make sure i finish the job dont comsome times we have to fight back if we band together we cant be broken im a proud ex felon io went to jail e to nj the prosicutors here are ten times more corruped the any criminal they put in jail all they want is a bigger buget for next year its time to start holding our taxes in escrow since we're not treated as equals we shouldnt equally have to pay for all ex felons interested in joining our exclusive ex felons only club all you need is a criminal backround and a thurst to to overcome this discrimination against us........we connect each other with our own kind as they call us..***MOD CUT***.........................WE RISE TOGETHER US AGAIST THE WORLD

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-15-2010 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Solicitation against Terms of Service

Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 PM

2,143 posts, read 5,084,015 times
Ex-felon? Only if you receive a pardon. Once convicted, you remain a felon.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 23,094 times
Excon is more to the point. but as an excon I face a constant struggle to survive.Now that my felony conviction is over 15 years old it has been easier but I still have a very difficult time finding affordable housing and have been homeless twice in the last 5 years even with a good job. Now I am going to school and will soon have a bachelors degree and will be a treatment provider for drug addicts and alcoholics at the local Community corrections department here in Colorado. but it has been a long road for a little high!!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 22,783 times
What if the crime took place over 20 years ago, and ever since i have been a viable productive citizen. is there a new leaf program first offense ex-felons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida