Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 PM

707 posts, read 1,463,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Why would you blame Florida for getting pregnant at 16?

I was raped in Ybor City. Her "dad" is my fiancee its not her real dad but it is the only dad she knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 09:11 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,233,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
We do not expect anything, we know why we are moving to Florida and only expect what we deserve, we expect nothing out of Florida or it's people.

Anyone who expects anything may be just setting themselves up for a downfall as your expectations may be set to high.

I do not expect a single thing. I know things will work out for us no matter what.

When we leave here the only thing we will expect is what is god given and not personally expected, the sun, water, being warm, natural beauty etc, the rest is UP TO US to make.
I believe thats the right attitude to have. If you don't expect anything or at least have reasonable expectations you can't be dissapointed. Just move down here and accept it for what it is.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:41 PM

150 posts, read 473,413 times
Admittedly, when I first got here, I had the touristy point of view. I had the sterotypical Florida in my head at that time (I.E.: The whole state being tropical, white-sanded beaches, etc).

As time has gone by, and as I've lived in and gotten to know this area, my paradigm has changed. There is way more to this state than just the beaches. I didn't expect it to be such a rich melting pot of cultures, for example, and my expectation about the climate has changed (now I know that much of Florida experiences a humid subtropical/warm temperate climate. The only truly tropical part of Florida is the southern end of the state).

Old 09-08-2010, 02:57 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,102,653 times
Fun thread... well the idea of it anyhow. Thought I would post my expectations.

As many of you know, I was very active in this forum getting as much info as I possibly could before moving. I have been to Florida, but never lived here and never had visited Tampa Bay, we came sight unseen.

I expected a lot of bug here in Florida - There are more than I expected.

I expected the mosquitoes to be bad, but not as bad as Alaska - Mosquitoes are only bad, where I live, when the sun starts going down. They are really bad that time of day, otherwise not a problem.

I expected crazy, rude drivers - I do not drive on any of the interstates, I don;t have to. The drivers around here seem perfectly normal to me. I even get waved at once in awhile.

I expected the schools to be disappointing - Besides the hassle of getting my kids in the same school, I have been impressed.

I expected people to not be friendly - DW or I always seem to be striking up a conversation when out and about.

I expected to spend more time at the beach - We are renting a home 2 miles from the beach and we have only been 3 times in a month. The pool is just too convenient.

I expected my good Karma to keep rolling like it has for the last 12 months - Nope, apparently good Karma is taking a break. Having all sorts of things breaking on the cars and all sorts of little things going wrong that are piling up. I think we're just on a down swing and it'll come back up again.

I thought eating out would be cheaper - Even kids eat free is now 1 kid meal per adult meal. It used to be 2 kids per adult meal. Oh well.

I didn't expect the tap water here to suck so bad - It tastes awful and the deposits clog shower heads and sinks. Igh. We use 5 gallon jugs for drinking water.

I expected this place to have an 'island feel' - It does not. It feels like most other towns and has most the same things. Its disappointing that you cannot see water unless you drive close to it. There's no slope to the water like on the west coast.

I expected to have more money left in my bank account - Man, we spent a mint moving here and went through way more than I thought we would. Pretty much my fault and the fault of this bad Karma stuff going on.

There's more, but that's a start.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:35 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,749,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post

As many of you know, I was very active in this forum getting as much info as I possibly could before moving. I have been to Florida, but never lived here and never had visited Tampa Bay, we came sight unseen.

I expected the mosquitoes to be bad, but not as bad as Alaska - Mosquitoes are only bad, where I live, when the sun starts going down. They are really bad that time of day, otherwise not a problem.

I expected crazy, rude drivers - I do not drive on any of the interstates, I don;t have to. The drivers around here seem perfectly normal to me. I even get waved at once in awhile.

I expected the schools to be disappointing - Besides the hassle of getting my kids in the same school, I have been impressed.

I expected people to not be friendly - DW or I always seem to be striking up a conversation when out and about.

I expected to spend more time at the beach - We are renting a home 2 miles from the beach and we have only been 3 times in a month. The pool is just too convenient.

I expected my good Karma to keep rolling like it has for the last 12 months - Nope, apparently good Karma is taking a break. Having all sorts of things breaking on the cars and all sorts of little things going wrong that are piling up. I think we're just on a down swing and it'll come back up again.

I thought eating out would be cheaper - Even kids eat free is now 1 kid meal per adult meal. It used to be 2 kids per adult meal. Oh well.

I didn't expect the tap water here to suck so bad - It tastes awful and the deposits clog shower heads and sinks. Igh. We use 5 gallon jugs for drinking water. LOL.... I found that out the hard way myself when I came here way back when. Nasty stuff, even a Brita can't help it!!!

I expected this place to have an 'island feel' - It does not. It feels like most other towns and has most the same things. Its disappointing that you cannot see water unless you drive close to it. There's no slope to the water like on the west coast. I know what you mean about the beaches, they are hogged up by buildings, restaurants, condo's. Or just plain not visible because we are AT sea level...

I expected to have more money left in my bank account - Man, we spent a mint moving here and went through way more than I thought we would. Pretty much my fault and the fault of this bad Karma stuff going on.

Things will get better for you, just think positive...

Old 09-08-2010, 03:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray422 View Post
Amen to verobeach! Nothing makes me sicker than white television addicted norhterners crying about how hot it is..oh boo hoo!!! I am a harcore beach bum who lives in northern illinois. I have roots in florida from when I lived there as a teenager and also many friends and I own a condo
in the Tarpon Springs Area. To me Florida is just pure paradise. Evertime I have ever crossed the border into this state I have had nothing but great times. During the hot Illinois summers I get darker than a Jamaican as I am out baking in the sun every damn moment I can. This summer up here in 2010 was actually hotter than in Florida, day after day of 90's and humid and I LOVED every minute. If you hate to be hot, sweat, and not feel cool breezes (what the hell is so great about a cool breeze anyway?) than stay in the frozen depressing north with all your season changes..but if like me, you love the heat, the beaches, Jimmy Buffett and cold beer on the beach, come on down. My heart and soul is always there, I have tried to move there many times but cannot sell my damn house. When I read all you white skinned northerners whine about how you hate or hated the heat, I can only ask you what the hell you expected when you moved there. Are you all really that stupid?
And why are long dark cold and depressing winters better than the heat? At least when it is very hot you can go outside half naked and cool off by hanging in the pool or beach with a nice ice cold drink amd enjoy the day..oh, and yes..try sitting in the shade of a palm tree. A real nice touch. As for winter, all you can do is stay inside or go to the mall.
Yes and the white skinned northerners don't look 20 yrs older than they are due too much time in the sun. And than factor in skin cancer.

Tanning is so 1980s.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:08 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,233,240 times
Quote:

I didn't expect the tap water here to suck so bad - It tastes awful and the deposits clog shower heads and sinks. Igh. We use 5 gallon jugs for drinking water.

I expected this place to have an 'island feel' - It does not. It feels like most other towns and has most the same things. Its disappointing that you cannot see water unless you drive close to it. There's no slope to the water like on the west coast.

Welcome to Florida.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:14 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,102,653 times
Woah, hold on a sec here. I think the tone of my message may have sounded worse than it should have. I'm not saying its bad here or that I don't like it here.

Oh here's one. What in the world is with people in Florida using the term, "It is what it is."? At first I thought it was a neat saying but I hear it all the time. Even worse, I am saying it too.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:38 AM

2,763 posts, read 6,752,746 times
Quote:
Woah, hold on a sec here. I think the tone of my message may have sounded worse than it should have. I'm not saying its bad here or that I don't like it here.

Oh here's one. What in the world is with people in Florida using the term, "It is what it is."? At first I thought it was a neat saying but I hear it all the time. Even worse, I am saying it too.
Where are you from FloridaKash? Just wondering? I believe that is a term used up North and is probably being used by the Northerners who moved down. I know for certain it is used all the time in NY. In fact, I say it all the time LOL.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,142,202 times
I hear "it is what it is" a LOT up here in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida