Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:06 AM

343 posts, read 1,046,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Hi OP!. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that both Jacksonville and Tampa have brutal summers. In fact, so does all of Florida. Also many hurricane experts think that Tampa could get the big one (hurricane) someday soon whereas Jacksonville's record shows less historical activity/less propensity for that.

Just remember that to achieve your very good desires/dreams there's a price tag wherever you go, wherever anyone goes. Only you can know whether the tradeoff is worth it.

Good luck!
He's right about the summer weather...I doubt there's much difference between Tampa, Orlando, and Jax, other than Tampa may get more of a breeze. I find that I find few people who genuinely "like" Jacksonville. It is a massive city, a perfect lesson in sprawl. The downtown area is rife with crime and violence and the traffic is terrible. I know there are some nice parts, but it seems the bad outweighs the good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 12:14 AM

343 posts, read 1,046,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
That I will agree on - is there really a difference in the East vs. West coast? I've heard it is warmer and more humid on the West Coast - that might make me crabby too. I don't know if the west coast is similar to Central Florida, but I do remember feeling hotter in Orlando than in Ft. Lauderdale. No air.
It's definitely hotter in Orlando....no wind.

And no, there is no similarity whatsoever between the weather on the west coast and east coast.

And, sorry about your appraisal, man. Sucks.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:46 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
To the O.P., I would pick Texas over Florida if I were you, I know you might think that Texas is full of rednecks and whatever but look at the housing costs and the cost of living in general. Plus, Houston STILL has one of the better unemployment rates in the country. For the price of a decent house in Florida you could get a really nice place anywhere in the Houston/Galveston areas.

Tell me something..

Do you think you could get this kind of house anywhere...

11914 Canyon Timbers Dr, Tomball, TX 77377

for $175k in Florida ?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:39 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
To the O.P., I would pick Texas over Florida if I were you, I know you might think that Texas is full of rednecks and whatever but look at the housing costs and the cost of living in general. Plus, Houston STILL has one of the better unemployment rates in the country. For the price of a decent house in Florida you could get a really nice place anywhere in the Houston/Galveston areas.

Tell me something..

for $175k in Florida ?
hehe, a good deal of florida going to have more rednecks than houston and dallas and austin for sure, like jacksonville
i find it funny when i talk to floridian friends here and tell me they would NEVER move to texas because they have these misconceptions, when in reality they are living in the redneck zone themselves lol. Those 3 texas cities have much more going on, more sophisticated, more cosmopolitan than any city in florida besides miami, and miami isn't what I'd call a normal city.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:33 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
The problem with the Texas home is that it likely has property taxes that make Tampa rates seem very reasonable. That, and it's butt-ugly.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:44 AM

705 posts, read 1,575,185 times
Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

grapico said,
Quote:
Huh, you heard absolutely wrong. The East coast especially the south east is considerably... no, DRAMATICALLY more humid.
I believe Chelsa1075 was comparing the east and west coasts of FL.

RMD3819 said,
Quote:
How long did you live in Fort Lauderdale? There is a lot of comments here about the heat. If you lived in FTL then the summers would be similar to Tampa.
I lived in Lauderdale from about '74 to '87. Come to think of it I didn't even have A/C in my car, at home or work for quite a while back then. I guess you can get used to anything.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:45 PM

705 posts, read 1,575,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post

Tell me something..

for $175k in Florida ?
That does look like a LOT of house for the price. However, the biggest concern I would have about houston is the heat. The average high in July is 94 degrees. JAX and Tampa's avg high tops out about 90. Houston's annual avg humidity is actually higher than JAX or Tampa's as well.

Last edited by abvavgjoe; 03-21-2009 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-21-2009, 03:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

grapico said,

I believe Chelsa1075 was comparing the east and west coasts of FL.

okay, than still considerably enough to notice but in reverse...

west coast and central and panhandle more humid than east coast florida considerably

eastern u.s. more humid than west coast u.s. dramatically

Last edited by grapico; 03-21-2009 at 04:18 PM..

Old 03-21-2009, 03:13 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
I have never put the ac on in NY unless it was over 85 degrees. I didn't even put the ac on in Gainesville either that much. I have it on a LOT in Naples because of the HUMIDITY. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought of putting ac on when it was 74 degrees, but I did here in SW Florida. HUMIDITY and no winds to speak of.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:45 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The problem with the Texas home is that it likely has property taxes that make Tampa rates seem very reasonable. That, and it's butt-ugly.
I'll admit, It's not a stucco cookie cutter like what you'll find in Tampa and the Property Tax is double what it would be in Tampa. However, Houston has ALOT more going on then Tampa does in reguards to culture, theaters, museums, ect, ect and Houston has ALOT more jobs and even jobs that pay more then minimum wage.

Oh, and you'll more than makeup for the property taxes when you look at homeowners insurance.

O.P., I've been in Houston and a few areas of Tampa. The difference in heat and humidity ( atleast to me ) was that Tampa had a gulf breeze to cool it off a little more. Polk County ( middle of the state, bordering Hillsborough ) gets hot as hell itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida