U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 05:53 PM

166 posts, read 902,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
Well for us it is not a matter of having a bigger home just bigger bills. Our homeowners insurance and taxes are outrageous, electric and water has gone way up as has everything in Florida. When it costs over 150k for a 900 sq foot house in our area that is simply crazy. My first house in 1989 was 980 sq foot and cost me $28,500 ...it just sold for the second time since I owned it for $158,000

This is from the county records of the house I owned. I kept it for 15 years and the new owners for 2 years, look how much it went up in 2 years

Year Month Book / Page Type Amount
2006 12 7305 / 0798 WD $158,000
2004 06 5908 / 0214 WD $60,000
1989 06 1817 / 0738 WD $28,500

Don't feel bad. I grew up in Manhattan Beach in Brooklyn, NY (with my Grandparents), then I moved with other family to Florida. My Grandmother kept her home in Brooklyn till the mid 80's. I went to live with her right before she sold her 1,800 square foot home for $130,000. My Grandfather begged her not to move, but she insisted on it. Well, I just checked the price of our old house on Beaumont Street. It's over a million dollars! Goes to show you location has value. Man, if I knew that home would have went up that much, I would have bought it from her if I could afford it back then.

My Grandmother is still alive, but I don't have the heart to mention to her that if she stayed there she would have owned a home worth over one million. It was a beautiful neighborhood though; we were only a block from the beach!

And for those of you that aren't getting out enough because your working on getting your home ready for the hurricane season: May I suggest you get used hurricane panels.

That's what I got. We received many estimates for hurricane panels and shutters. Was at least 10k. I had a friend pick up used panels. Work just the same and only cost 2.5k. Also you may want to check out St. Augustine, Florida. My friends just moved there. They usually never get a direct hit from hurricanes, so all their insurance is dirt cheap. It's a really beautiful place. If I was going to move anywhere in Florida, that would be the only place I would move to.

Last edited by Angelrocks; 03-25-2007 at 06:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 02:01 PM

489 posts, read 1,823,258 times
It all depends on which part of Florida you live in. In S and SW FL, it is quite possible to have to work two jobs to make ends meet. I know quite a few people who are doing this. When you are living at work, you will spend most of your time off around home or doing home-related things such as grocery shopping, laundry, housecleaning, and the like.

Not only that, but life in S and SW FL is different than other areas of FL. Even if one is lucky enough to only have to work one job, they may still feel the need to remain at home or nearby due to the fact that people and work environments can be so crazy down here that it is draining, and the only way to get oneself back together and able to get back to work for another week of it is by withdrawing and staying at home in an effort to avoid the alternate reality that is S and SW FL. Also, the beach access is not what other areas of FL enjoy. It can be difficult, if not near impossible, to be able to get to the beach due to traffic, seasonal issues, and overcrowding. There is only so much that one person can take, and anyone who is thinking of relocating to South or Southwest FL and doesn't heed the warnings will find out for themselves soon enough.

As far as hurricanes go, hurricanes occur more often in FL than earthquakes occur in CA. Hurricanes are a very real part of life in FL, and preparing your home for them is a hassle, depending on your situation, and I've never met anybody who thought that the announcement of one headed their way was convenient or came at a good time because you see, we live AND WORK here in FL; we're not on vacation year round. I'm a survivor of Hurricane Charley, and I can honestly tell you that having the beach and palm trees within driving distance was hardly a comfort during that time. Please do not choose to move to FL for the beaches and palm trees. How much time a person spends pursuing recreation - regardless of where they live in the country - is most likely how much time they will be spending recreationally in FL and possibly even less so depending on what area of FL they choose to live in.

Last edited by FedUpInFtMyers; 03-26-2007 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-26-2007, 02:18 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,786,878 times
Great post Mergel. With my family our priorities during most of the year are the bills but during the summer we treat ourselves to mini-vacations where we find cheap things to do throughout Florida. Like finding a deal at a Hotel in Daytona and staying on the beach and then going to Daytona USA or going to Ft. Meyers and taking a (free) trolley to the beach and visiting the Edison and Ford Estate or finding a friend to get us into Disney. We are not an affluent family at all but we find fun things to do in Florida and make it a priority to get out and enjoy what we have and make the best out of what little we can afford.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:32 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,397,661 times
tallrick, you actually spend all this time preparing for hurricanes? we havent even had a bad one since '04. that was a freak occurance. no hurricanes last yr., so what do you do to consume all this
"preparing for hurricanes" time???

Old 03-26-2007, 02:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,115,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
tallrick, you actually spend all this time preparing for hurricanes? we havent even had a bad one since '04. that was a freak occurance. no hurricanes last yr., so what do you do to consume all this
"preparing for hurricanes" time???
No I spend more time trying to solve the property tax situation here, and help my parents keep the bad neighbors at bay. Also had to help dad get his car running after someone tried to steal it and broke the ignition switch. This weekend I started a simple project to get the rats nest out of the shed, it ended with me blowing up the inverter because opening the door to the battery bank caused the main lead to short and set the rat's nest on fire. Hurricane preparations for me are easy, just put up hurricane panels and make sure there's plenty of propane and firewood for the generator. I regret building in a hurricane evacuation zone, because staying in my parent's home during a hurricane is scary. I took my chances here in 2005, but their home ended up with a tree inside...nice!

Old 03-26-2007, 04:57 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,397,661 times
sorry to hear that. hopefully last yr's hurricane season, which in fla was non-existent, will continue to be for many yrs to come.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:34 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,461,240 times
Im sorry to read about how people dont have time to enjoy life. Check out my mediocre blog tampaiam.blogspot.com, and you'll see how much 'play' time I have living in Florida. But hey, that's me, been here 19 years from NY, went to college here, have a decent job that I love and worked very hard to get to where I am today, own my house now for 6 years. Typically take time to care for the house and yard, and enjoy my days off as best I can.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:45 PM

356 posts, read 998,643 times
we have a good amount of free time. I am a SAHM and I get to enjoy the outdoors every day. My DH is off on Sunday so we always go out on the boat or to the park. We take a week vacation up north every year.

When I worked I got 3 weeks vacation every year. that was NICE

you get the weekends and a week vacation. that is the same everywhere

We have a small house and big toys.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:06 PM

48 posts, read 239,572 times
I have plenty of fun time in Orlando. As I said on previous posts, I lived here all my life. I have a Monday thru Friday job and off weekends most of the time. My weekends are for me and my family and its our time. Of course, living here all my life, doing stuff all the time wouldnt be normal to some people here on vacation. Ive gone to pretty much every beach on the East coast of Florida from as far north as Jacksonville all the way down south and of course this accounts for the West coast too. Hmmmmm, lets see, been to Disney countless times and still havnt seen everything there is to see or do there. lol. Been to Sea World, Universal, Busch Gardens in Tampa, etc. Love the nightlife and just traveling, but Im thankful to have Orlando be called home. Its home but there is sooooo much stuff to do down here. I never get bored. Of course, maybe I take it for granted compared to some people plus honestly, Ive never been bored living here. We have Downtown Disney, Universal City Walk, Downtown Orlando nightlife. I have work time but I also have plenty of time for my family and my friends alike. Just my opinion

Old 03-27-2007, 02:35 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,358,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Considering the price we pay to live in this god-forsaken state, how much fun time do you actually take while living here? Most vacationists would spend a week or so taking in the sights, but I bet that most of us who live here enjoy it less than those who visit. I know that work wears me out and stress from helping my parents fight their hassles eats up all my free time. Oh and preparing/repairing for hurricanes? How much "paradise" do you actually t
Not a whole lot. Granted I work in Maitland and live in Lake Mary (not even a 15-mile drive), it takes me 45 minutes leaving work at 5pm, everyday. It takes me a little less time in the morning (35 - 40 mins).

Playtime is diminished by all of the hassles... washing my windshied/bumper at least 3 times a week due to lovebugs..... sitting in traffic to get anywhere (thank God traffic is diminished at night, when we go to the Lake Mary Commons.

But there are plenty of hassles and they steal a lot of your time. During the week (and during the 9-month summer), I don't get to do a whole lot of stuff.

Hurricane preparations do not just cost money, they require time and thinking waaaaaaay ahead of the game. If you wait until a hurricane is annouced, you are in big trouble, as you will not find what you need or you will be mugged right outside the store by some desperate homless person or a thief taking advantage during a crisis situation.

Not to mention the price gaugers, who charge you $100 for a loaf of bread or $30 for a gallon of gas.... such is the life!

But I can see your point - the hassles of living here take away toio much of your time, so you don't really get to enjoy. Plus the days that weather is 'perfect' are VERY far and in between. March is usually nice; this year is super hot. Summer will be 95+ degrees daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or